Author Topic: DIY attach/release programming clip  (Read 8538 times)

Offline PsiTopic starter

• Super Contributor
DIY attach/release programming clip
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:33 am »
So one of my projects involved a whole lot of pcbs and I needed a quick way to attach to them for mcu programming but i didn't want to put a connector on each since connectors are quite often tight and hard to attach/remove (especially when brand new).
I also didn't want to put a connector on these pcbs as there were for ID tags and a connector would look ugly.

So i added 6 round smd pads to the edge of the pcb (gnd,mois,miso,reset,sck,vcc) and made a DIY clip on probe to connect to the pads.

Using two 6pin 2.54 header soldered together some hot glue and a clothes peg.

The only critical construction factor is that you glue the header pins so they are at an angle to the pcb. This helps make sure they all make contact as the pin that touches first will bend back under spring pressure and allow the others to make contact.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:32:33 am by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline mobbarley

• Regular Contributor
Re: DIY attach/release programming clip
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 04:36:05 am »
The peg is a good idea, I just use pogos like this (stolen from ebay) as my connectors are often in the middle of the board - but I obviously have to solder a connector to do any debugging etc.

Offline electrode

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 09:25:14 am »
Haha. That's so cool! Thanks for sharing. :)

Offline logictom

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:30:30 am »
Can anyone point me to some pogo pins - I must be searching for the wrong thing because I can't find them in the usual places.
I was pricing some up a week or so ago but I've completely forgot which site it was.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU

Offline Leo Bodnar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 06:53:50 pm »

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1406&dDocName=en541943

There is also version with clip-in legs if you don't want to hold it.

Required PCB space area is about 1206 or grain of rice.  Costs around £20.

Leo
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 06:55:25 pm by Leo Bodnar »

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:04 pm »
What leo is showing there is what i use.

Tag-Connect. www.plugofnails.com
It;s cheap and works extremely well. it is avaialble for ARM AVR PIC and a bunch of other cpu's. it can plug straight into various programmers.

there are two versions . 1 is hand held just to flash , the other one has threaded studs so you can 'screw' it into the board for real debug sessions. when done , simply remove it by unscrewing.

they have a new 10 pin version for JTAG on ARM processors
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 07:30:30 am »
Most programming operations are quick enough that you can just hold it in place - long pin headers (long enough to give some springiness - 10mm+) inserted  into holes and held at an angle to get the contact pressure works fine.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »
Most programming operations are quick enough that you can just hold it in place - long pin headers (long enough to give some springiness - 10mm+) inserted  into holes and held at an angle to get the contact pressure works fine.

That is what I have been doing. 5 pin 0.1" footprint which will take a header during development and poked pins in production. I have a customer that has done thousands of boards like that without complaint.

I have a tiny job coming up where that will be too much board space, the Tag Connect thing will be worth looking at for that one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf