Author Topic: Where to buy PCB Supplies?  (Read 2874 times)

Offline lopezje29Topic starter

Where to buy PCB Supplies?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:33:06 pm »
Hi, I'd like to manufacture my own PCBs with a good quality. I'd lioke to know where can I buy the supplies for PCB manufacturing:
- FR4 copper board
- LPI solder mask
- silkscreen
- Chemicals for the precess

Thanks for your answers

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
Re: Where to buy PCB Supplies?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:02:19 am »
FR4 - eBay, Aliexpress, Taobao, plenty of sellers.

LPI - eBay, but you will also realistically need air compressor paint spray gun, and oven for pre-curing if you want "good quality".  Even if you don't want "good quality" you are fighting an uphill battle to use this stuff on anything more than a few cm square.  You are better to use dry film soldermask, this is not the same as dry film etch resist.  Search Dynamask on eBay, it's about all you can get.

Silkscreen - Pulsar White TRF (Toner Reactive Foil) is probably the simplest, otherwise use white LPI with an actual silkscreen

Chemicals - Hydrochloric Acid (aka Muriatic Acid, Spirit of Salts) probably from your local hardware shop, Hydrogen Peroxide probably from your local pharmacy in Mexico, Sodium Carbonate/Percabonate for developing of dry film from your local grocery store (washing powder).  More traditional etching products such as Ferric Chloride available on eBay delivered as dry powder I would expect.

Now to rain on the parade, etching your own PCBs is fine, good, do it all the time, but when you start looking to have soldermask and silkscreen, forget about it unless you want to do so on an industrial scale (become a PCB factory), just pay your $10 or 20 USD and have the boards made and shipped to you from China.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

The following users thanked this post: lopezje29

Offline hermit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 02:31:57 am »
Lots of info in this thread.  It goes off track on the chemicals but is useful if you know how to filter. ;)

here

Offline lopezje29Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:06:56 am »
thanks for your answers!!!

Offline IconicPCB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 06:37:04 am »
What do You want to achieve?

Offline M4trix

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 09:08:34 pm »
@lopezje29,

regarding the LPI inks. If you want to do some serious business, you can find all inks here --> https://www.peters.de/en/products/elpepcb-printed-circuit-coatings. I recommend SD-2467-SM-GG solder mask and SD-2698 white marking ink. You can request samples for each ink. Of course, it requires to use some basic tools like screen printing frame with a mesh (90-100 threads/cm2), frame holder, squeegee and some chemicals/solvents for washing those tools. Or... just make it simple by using dry film photoresist and dry film solder masks ( Dynamask 5000 ) as @sleemanj suggested. Forget about those UV curable inks over the ebay. They are useless.

Here is some russian guy explaining how to use LPI inks for DIY ( blanket method ). The manufacturers are basically doing the same thing. -->

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 07:18:24 pm »
In the US, I buy Riston dry film etch resist from Think N Tinker.  It works VERY well.

Jon

Offline VIKI_C

• !
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 07:43:42 am »
Hi. PCB prototype and PCB assembly need to find a professional supplier. I knew Hua Wei also buy from them. *REMOEVD*
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:01:04 am by gnif »

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
i'm using dry film photoresist (riston) and dry film soldermask (dynamask). i buy my suplies from a local shop but seems these guys http://www.pcb-diy.com/ have the very same suplies.
the cheap UV curable inks from ebay works also but it's pretty freaking hard to work with those and it's hard to reproduce finer details.
don't know where to get chemicals in your country but in my country (part of the EU) i can buy chemicals in special chemistry stores, but have to be registered (e.g. provide all your details , ID, etc..).
good news is that for the dry film process you need only 3 chemicals you can buy virtually anywhere..
to develop photoresist and soldermask you need Sodium Carbonate Na2CO3 - you can buy washing soda - it's usually 98%+ pure sodium carbonate.
to remove photoresist after etching  you need Sodium hydroxide NaOH - you can get that in 98%+ purity as drain cleaner (at least over here)
if something goes wrong during lamination of the dry film to your board you need acetone (not a paint thinner) to remove the wrinkled soldermask - you can buy acetone in any store selling paint.
on top of those 3 you'll need something to etch the copper, personally i use Ferric chloride - it works the best for me.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf