Author Topic: Suggestion on decade resistor?  (Read 4056 times)

Offline branadicTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
Suggestion on decade resistor?
« on: July 14, 2018, 07:49:46 pm »
Currently I'm interested in buying a 7 dial decade resistor. Several offers on ebay are available, but I would like some feedback:

I wonder if someone here has a Beckman 71-DRK 7 Precision Decade Resistor box and can say something about it? Are there any teardown pictures available? What are the specifications?

Pictures and datasheet of a General Radio Type 1434-G - Decade Resistors can be found on internet, but what is such a unit worth and what to look after?

-branadic-
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:40:24 pm by branadic »
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
Re: Suggestion on decade resistor?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:47:44 pm »
Decided for the General Radio Type 1434-G and made an offer to the seller that was accepted. So now I need to wait for the unit to arrive.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: MUDGEL

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 07:56:24 pm »
And it seems to be a genuine GR ! 
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

Offline gbaddeley

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 11:53:02 am »
0.02%, nice. The GR looks much better than the crusty Beckman.

Glenn

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 05:13:48 pm »
0.02%, nice. The GR looks much better than the crusty Beckman.

Look is one thing, but what matters are the intrinsic values. I have hoped to get some info on the Beckman to learn about it's accuracy and T.C.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:44:26 pm by branadic »

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 09:49:51 am »
My decade resistor box arrived today, much earlier than expected. It's in reasonable condition by the looks of it, a few new switch caps would be fine. Do IET sale them as spare parts?
Need to test it first at home and afterward on our 3458A. First of all, time to brake the cal stickers on it and check if everything inside looks okay.
If you guys need one unit, there are two left. Just place an offer to the seller ;)

EDIT: No overload visible inside and a first sanity check on my Prema 5000 shows very good results, that have to be verified on 3458A. Cleaned the unit, removed old sticker and dirt on the panel.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 07:43:48 pm by branadic »

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 12:25:51 am »
Those newer ones are nice, but the switches aren't as massive as the old ones. AFAIK, they never made a 7 decade unit in the old style. I just use a couple 1432 series, with the range suited to the purpose at hand. Don't forget the less pretty Shallcross resistance boxes. IMO, probably as good as the GR, and a handier footprint on the bench. An interesting GR one is the 670-F compensated box for AC use. Introduced in the March 1934 issue of the Experimenter, it also switches small inductors to keep a constant inductance value for every setting. At the very end they show a compensated slide wire that's pretty clever.

https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/GR_Experimenters/1965/GenRad_Experimenter_Oct_1965.pdf
https://www.ietlabs.com/pdf/GR_Experimenters/1934/GenRad_Experimenter_March_1934.pdf

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 12:30:13 am by Conrad Hoffman »

The following users thanked this post: Dwaine, czgut

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 10:32:48 pm »
Measured decade resistor box on 3458A today and it seems to be well within spec. So if one of you is searching for a working unit, there are still two units left.

-branadic-

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 11:11:09 pm »
FWIW, I've never seen a GR resistance box out of spec. Even some mildly toasted units (discolored from overload) have measured OK. I've got quite a few old ones, but none of the newer horizontal style due to the price premium they seem to carry.

Offline mmagin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 11:47:05 pm »
I've got one of the old black finish 5 decade GR 1432 boxes.  Aside from needing some cleaning, it's worked just as spec.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2018, 08:35:17 am »
Measured decade resistor box on 3458A today and it seems to be well within spec. So if one of you is searching for a working unit, there are still two units left.

...One unit left.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2018, 04:07:53 pm »
I bought one too. Really good condition.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 07:08:27 am »
...One unit left.

Arrived yesterday. Meets specification within my limited ability to test directly.
Hooked it up today as the variable trimming element in a Wheatstone bridge. What a pleasure to use.

The following users thanked this post: Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »
Nice, 3 out of 4 are in this community  :-+

-branadic-

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »
Is there any left ?

DC1MC

Offline doktor pyta

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 09:42:13 am »

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 01:34:24 pm »
Is there any left ?

DC1MC

Pictures and datasheet of a General Radio Type 1434-G - Decade Resistors can be found on internet, but what is such a unit worth and what to look after?

Simply click the link ;)

-branadic-

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 03:25:37 pm »
   Nice, 3 out of 4 are in this community

Make that 4 out of 4  :-DMM

Will do the mandatory posting of measurements when i get it. September-ish,  if I'm to believe  eBay's estimation

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
Well well, guess Christmas sometimes does come early. The GenRad decade resistor just arrived today. Checked all the decades and with my 3478A, all I can tell is that the unit is well within spec. The higher ranges approach 0.02% but the lower ones are around 0.015%

All in all, not bad. I have a Keithley 199 that's I might calibrate with the GenRad and a Fluke 8505A that's way out of whack on the Ohms ranges. Might give that a try also. It'll be some fun couple of days  :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf