Author Topic: Buffer LTZ1000 DR. Frank  (Read 16300 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
Buffer LTZ1000 DR. Frank
« on: April 19, 2018, 01:03:52 pm »

I wanted to check the work of Dr. Frank.

I'm missing something here? :palm:

Opamp + input (pin3): I get the reference voltage
Opamp - input (pin2) and output (pin6) I measure the chain of resistors

Opamp is ok, I replace to be sure.

I don't get any output, I check pin 7 12V, pin 4 gnd

Opamp behave like "dead"  |O

eurofox

Offline SvanGool

• Regular Contributor
Re: Buffer LTZ1000 DR. Frank
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 03:21:29 pm »
Which opamp did you actually use?
# Don't hurry, the past will wait. #

Offline wictor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 03:28:10 pm »

What resistor values you have in feedback resistor chain r13, r14,... etc?

What do you measure from output? 0 volts?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:34:34 pm by wictor »

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 03:50:33 pm »
Which opamp did you actually use?

MAX420
eurofox

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:09 pm »

What resistor values you have in feedback resistor chain r13, r14,... etc?

What do you measure from output? 0 volts?

R10:10K
R12: 15K
R13: 5.6K
R14:300

Output is 0V
eurofox

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 04:41:15 pm »
The max420 might need higher supply voltage.about 13V for 10V output.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:43:03 pm by Dr. Frank »

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 04:42:46 pm »
The max420 might need higher supply voltage.

This was the first test that I did and I try with 15V, same result.
eurofox

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:39:44 pm »
Have you used my PCB to test, or do you test on a breadboard?

You should take care, that the chopper capacitors C7, C8 for the MAX420 and also the 7650 should be connected to Cret, pin 5, instead to GND.
Maybe the MAX420 does not work at all as you've drawn the circuit.

Frank
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:42:01 pm by Dr. Frank »

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:40:38 pm »

no wonder if I look how Pin 5 is connected in the data sheet and in your cirquit.
By the way the 1-2 mA which can be sourced out of the MAX420 may be too much for the 15 K resistor.
(In the data sheet there are always loads above 100k)

with best regards

Andreas

Edit: Frank was a bit faster

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 07:00:29 pm »
eurofox, this appears to be my Kicad schematic, so I am sorry if I have caused you a headache.

I duplicated Dr. Frank's schematic.  I noticed that pin 5 was floating, and the caps were connected to V-.  I wasn't sure about this, so I looked at the 7650 datasheet, which says it's ok:

If you need to use the clamp
feature, order the ICL7650 and connect the external
capacitors to V-. To prevent load-current IR drops and
other extraneous signals from being injected into the
capacitors, use a separate PC board trace to connect
the capacitor commons directly to the V- pin.

so I just assumed that Dr. Frank's schematic was correct.

I must admit that I still have not actually assembled one of those boards (I was waiting on characterizing my Econistors, which I haven't had time to do yet).
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline wictor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:40:06 pm »
If you really have about 7 volts in the opamp input, then you may have 2 faulty opamps...

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 08:31:40 pm »
eurofox, this appears to be my Kicad schematic, so I am sorry if I have caused you a headache.

I duplicated Dr. Frank's schematic.  I noticed that pin 5 was floating, and the caps were connected to V-.  I wasn't sure about this, so I looked at the 7650 datasheet, which says it's ok:

I must admit that I still have not actually assembled one of those boards (I was waiting on characterizing my Econistors, which I haven't had time to do yet).

Eagle CAD only had the old MAX420 as a chopper amp in its library, but I used the LTC1052 instead, which requires both capacitors going to GND, as the DIL 8 case does not have the Cret. pin.

Sorry for the confusion, but somewhere else I placed a hint about the correct type.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:44:22 am by Dr. Frank »

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 08:39:02 pm »

If you design a pcb based on schematic from Dr. Frank you pcb is wrong!

According the datasheet the pin 5 should be connected this way, I will check it tomorrow by wiring it according the datasheet:

eurofox

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 09:02:17 pm »
eurofox, I have an LTC1052 on hand which I can send to you free of charge.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  Can you PM me your mailing address?

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 03:19:45 pm »
I'm still collecting parts and just got my ICL7650 chips today but haven't got the Dr Frank board from OSH Park yet. I think this is a modification I'll make to the board to connect the two capacitors back to pin 5 on the op amp. Just cutting the run going to - and scraping and soldering a jumper should do it.

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Offline SvanGool

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »
@ArthurDent:

Good find, the ICL7650, I see they are on stock at Mouser. The LTC1052 is already difficult and the MAX420 is very difficult to get.
I am assembling a Cellularmitosis board with a LTC1052 on it. I was also puzzled about the buffer, Dr. Frank helped me with that.

@Cellularmitosis:

If you ever going to release another PCB-version, maybe make the op-amp layout "jumpable", according ArthurDents modification.
# Don't hurry, the past will wait. #

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 04:33:19 pm »
The circuit shown is more like a 7 V to 10 V amplifier, not just a buffer.  If an external load is used, it might be a good idea to add an extra buffer (even if only a NPN transistor, or maybe an NE5532) inside the amplifiers loop. The AZ OPs usually don't like a high load - at least the power consumption could add to thermal errors. It would also help to have a circuit that is more tolerant to capacitive load. Another point is that some refs may profit from some filtering (e.g. RC, 5 K , 1 µ) at the input - this also keeps away current spikes from the reference.

The ICL7650 is more like a replacement for the LTC1050. The lower noise LTC1052 is more like an ICL7652.

As the voltage range is limited, one could also get away with an AZ OP for 5 V - here much more choice is available (e.g. AD8551).

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 06:26:15 am »
The LTC1052 is easily available at DigiKey, because it was one big distributor for Linear Technology.
That may have changed with Analog Devices, being distributed by mouser.

Anyhow, I do not recommend the MAX420, because it's obsolete today, and a very old design.

The 1052 is an improved design, compared to the 7650, has better specs and seems to be less noisy.

I also do not recommend any RC filter in front of this buffer. I intentionally connected the + input directly to the reference output to avoid additional thermocouple junctions... and noise is really not a problem, as my measurements revealed.

I also do not believe at all that spikes will affect the LTZ1000.
ESD pulses are known to harm the Si lattice, but the energy of EMC radiation or of chopper spikes are far too low to have a permanent effect, to my physical understanding.

I will copy a corrected schematic in the foregoing threads.

PS: The AD8551 is a max Vsupply  6V rated OpAmp, so it will be destroyed if used here.
Bad recommendations, Kleinstein!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 06:51:14 am by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis, msliva

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 07:38:45 am »
Using a 5 V rated OP would need a modified supply for that OP, like having a +6 and +11 V supply for the OP. Obviously it won't work work as a direct replacement. The power up sequence of the supplies can be tricky though.

I also doubt the chopper spikes would harm an LTZ1000, however the chopper spikes can lead to some unexpected offset for the AZ OP.   AZ OPs usually like to see a well defined impedance up to the MHz range where those spikes have there energy. So a extra loop in the cable or a change in parasitic capacitance could already make a difference, if it hits a resonance in the MHz range. This also includes the source impedance of the LTZ1000 circuit - due to the extra gain of the transistor the loop is a little complicated and the output impedance may not be that well behaved. Not much expected with a slow LT1013 and standard circuit, but it could happen in a modified circuit or with a faster OP (e.g. ADA4077).

The main advantage of the LT1052 over the LTC1050 / ICL7650  is lower noise in the > 300 Hz region. To make full use of this some filtering would make sense, though not many application care much about that frequency range.
As input current (still < 1 nA)  is not that critical one could also use modern low noise Az OPs as well, like max44250, OPA180, ADA4522, LTC2057.

Those old AZ OPs with external caps have some advantage in having low input bias and slower input spikes, but they are not super low noise.

The filter would be more about avoiding possible (though not very likely) RF range oddities.

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 08:00:40 am »
Using a 5 V rated OP would need a modified supply for that OP, like having a +6 and +11 V supply for the OP. Obviously it won't work work as a direct replacement. The power up sequence of the supplies can be tricky though.

I also doubt the chopper spikes would harm an LTZ1000, however the chopper spikes can lead to some unexpected offset for the AZ OP.   AZ OPs usually like to see a well defined impedance up to the MHz range where those spikes have there energy. So a extra loop in the cable or a change in parasitic capacitance could already make a difference, if it hits a resonance in the MHz range. This also includes the source impedance of the LTZ1000 circuit - due to the extra gain of the transistor the loop is a little complicated and the output impedance may not be that well behaved. Not much expected with a slow LT1013 and standard circuit, but it could happen in a modified circuit or with a faster OP (e.g. ADA4077).

The main advantage of the LT1052 over the LTC1050 / ICL7650  is lower noise in the > 300 Hz region. To make full use of this some filtering would make sense, though not many application care much about that frequency range.
As input current (still < 1 nA)  is not that critical one could also use modern low noise Az OPs as well, like max44250, OPA180, ADA4522, LTC2057.

Those old AZ OPs with external caps have some advantage in having low input bias and slower input spikes, but they are not super low noise.

The filter would be more about avoiding possible (though not very likely) RF range oddities.

A pity, that you always present theoretical ideas only, like some others, but no practical evidences at all, like a real built circuit, measurements, characterization, or else.

As far as I have measured the behavior of this circuit, containing Andreas' additional capacitors, there is practically no additional offset by the LTC1052 detectable.

All the 24h measurements on the five LTZ1000 references, but also the 10V output show absolutely no spikes or glitches which would be caused by external sources, compared to the prototype circuit, which made use of the original LTZ1000 datasheet circuit and the old ICL7650.

Sorry, but I really can't reproduce any of your comments.

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, msliva

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 02:16:48 am »
I've updated the github and OSHPark copies of this board to use the LTC1052 on the silkscreen.  I also used larger pads on the TO-99, as I found them a bit difficult to solder.

https://github.com/pepaslabs/dr-frank-ltz1000

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/dGYcQAgn

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, msliva

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 02:55:59 am »
By the way Dr. Frank, where do you source your "tuner boxes"?  Are those TEKO enclosures?  Perhaps 393.16?  http://www.tekoenclosures.com/en/products/family/RF/series/37-39

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/mx-reference/msg1297126/#msg1297126

The following users thanked this post: msliva

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2018, 03:51:37 am »
Hello Jason,

my best guess is also TEKO 393.16
Here in Germany the typical sources for small quantities are Reichelt or Conrad or eventually Bürklin

so probably this:
https://www.reichelt.de/Teko-Steel-Plate-Enclosures/TEKO-393/3/index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=7731&ARTICLE=34032&START=0&OFFSET=16&

https://www.buerklin.com/de/stahlblech-hf-abschirmgehaeuse/p/70h128

with best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis, msliva

Offline MisterDiodes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59:33 am »

I also do not recommend any RC filter in front of this buffer. I intentionally connected the + input directly to the reference output to avoid additional thermocouple junctions... and noise is really not a problem, as my measurements revealed.

I also do not believe at all that spikes will affect the LTZ1000.
ESD pulses are known to harm the Si lattice, but the energy of EMC radiation or of chopper spikes are far too low to have a permanent effect, to my physical understanding.

Dr. Frank,

No. Kleinstein has a good point.

I can't give you my client data but I can point you to a couple clues that -are- in public domain.

Carefully measure the input bias current spikes on a '2057 - you're going to find something that looks like what's shown on page 13, or worse.

https://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/00-14-01-00-00-70-21-03/Chopper-Noise.pdf

Now pay attention to page 20 that cautions what happens with those current spikes if you're not careful: "A high impedance sensor becomes a transducer"  Even though the LTZ zener  isn't considered high impedance, you ARE turning the LTZ substrate  into a transducer, guaranteed - even if you can't see the effect with your equipment directly.  You don't really want that.

Make a bunch of LTZ's with chopper spikes applied directly to the die, and without...and let me know what happens over time when you look at average drift rates on both groups 3 or 5 yrs from now.

If you believe that running the LTZ at no warmer than necessary will help decrease long term drift, then you will also learn why current spikes (even in uA range) will have a similar effect on the die over time.

The effects are small - but when you're chasing ppm it all matters.

Your circuit will certainly work, but you don't have the best topology for slowest aging.  That might not be too important to you if you're building only a few LTZ's, and you might not even notice.  If you're doing production an best long term stability, yes it really matters: Pay Attention to Chopper Noise! On Inputs, Output and power rails.  These amps are very useful when used correctly - but they can cause trouble if you're not ready for it.

That's why I recommend: If you want to give your LTZ the best chance at slower aging : Use an RC between your chopper amp and LTZ to isolate those current spikes from the die.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 04:05:27 am by MisterDiodes »

The following users thanked this post: TiN, ManateeMafia, cellularmitosis, Edwin G. Pettis, chuckb, hwj-d, Pipelie, 2N3055

Online Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2018, 12:49:35 pm »
Dr. Frank,

No. Kleinstein has a good point.

I can't give you my client data but I can point you to a couple clues that -are- in public domain.

Carefully measure the input bias current spikes on a '2057 - you're going to find something that looks like what's shown on page 13, or worse.

https://e2e.ti.com/cfs-file/__key/telligent-evolution-components-attachments/00-14-01-00-00-70-21-03/Chopper-Noise.pdf

Now pay attention to page 20 that cautions what happens with those current spikes if you're not careful: "A high impedance sensor becomes a transducer"  Even though the LTZ zener  isn't considered high impedance, you ARE turning the LTZ substrate  into a transducer, guaranteed - even if you can't see the effect with your equipment directly.  You don't really want that.

Make a bunch of LTZ's with chopper spikes applied directly to the die, and without...and let me know what happens over time when you look at average drift rates on both groups 3 or 5 yrs from now.

If you believe that running the LTZ at no warmer than necessary will help decrease long term drift, then you will also learn why current spikes (even in uA range) will have a similar effect on the die over time.

The effects are small - but when you're chasing ppm it all matters.

Your circuit will certainly work, but you don't have the best topology for slowest aging.  That might not be too important to you if you're building only a few LTZ's, and you might not even notice.  If you're doing production an best long term stability, yes it really matters: Pay Attention to Chopper Noise! On Inputs, Output and power rails.  These amps are very useful when used correctly - but they can cause trouble if you're not ready for it.

That's why I recommend: If you want to give your LTZ the best chance at slower aging : Use an RC between your chopper amp and LTZ to isolate those current spikes from the die.

Mister Diodes,

I appreciate many of your contributions as good brain food, but in the end I have the same problems with your recent statements as well.

You do not present any evidence, like measurements, calculations, schematics, or else, for your claims about irreversibly affecting the LTZ 1000 chip by either chopper or EMC spikes.
You explained, that 'the effects are small', but there's no idea, nor any numbers about how small or how big these effects really are, or if they can be totally be neglected, compared to the thermally activated drift, of about -0.8ppm/year @ 45°C, which was measured by Spreadbury et.al., and described also by Pickering in some of his papers, and specified for his DATRON 7001 reference.

Latter documents and the underlying experiments are simply an evidence, so no one has just to 'believe' something.

The T.I. paper you're citing, also does not support your claims, first because the LTZ zener, but also the whole circuit is relatively low-impedance, as you yourself already mentioned, and 2nd, as the 100nF output capacitor in the circuit by Andreas will dominantly absorb these chopper spikes in first place.

Your proposed measurement with and w/o RC filter, on several different LTZ1000, over 3-5years, is very unpractical, at best.
That's more an unrealistic approach, due to the diversity of any of two LTZ1000s, and due to the obviously very small expected magnitude of the effect.
Being noticeable only on a 5 or even 20 years timescale, as you already stated in another thread, seems to me to be completely irrelevant for our application here.

This eevblog forum contains a lot of open source material, like freely available designs, measurements and real facts from many other engineers and scientists.
Therefore I have a general credibility problem with all other contributors, who are not willing, or are not able to openly publish profound substance, and are just arguing in a hand-waving manner.
This way, you also withdraw yourself from critical peer reviews, which is a striking aspect of any scientific / engineering publication of this kind.

In that sense, and to get a real value from your posts, I would like to see from you at least a concrete description, and specification of your LTZ1000 application, in which environment they are located, i.e. if they are sitting isolated inside a double shielded box (as in the 3458A), or if the output is exposed to external disturbances, as in voltage references. Concrete figures for external / internal temperature, drift and noise immunity would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance
Frank
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 01:28:03 pm by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, try, bck, MegaVolt

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf