Author Topic: Calibration Report of Keysight 34465A  (Read 2841 times)

Offline kj7eTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Calibration Report of Keysight 34465A
« on: December 21, 2017, 06:08:03 pm »
Recently sent in my 9 month old 34465A for a checkup/calibration to Keysight Roseville.  Not sure I'm reading the report correctly.  Its not clear if they found it out of spec somewhere and made adjustments or just measured and printed a report.  On page 3, it appears to indicate some measurement was out of spec and failed, but its not indicated what or by how much.  On page 4, DC LOW CURRENT FUNC says Done, rather than Passed, so maybe this was the fault found and corrected.  Not sure if this was the only adjustment made or not.

I would think they would adjust all of the parameters to be as close to the calibration equipment as the automated system would allow.  But it seems they may have only measured the parameters and reported those that where in spec.  Is this correct?

What if you wanted better than the "within spec", and to go ahead and try to adjust all parameters to near center of spec?  Is that even an option with Cal Labs?

The file was too large to upload, here is a Google Drive link that can be viewed;
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11O8rDTx7Ex98RHKln0kwpzaKjjxCujpX/view?usp=sharing

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
Re: Calibration Report of Keysight 34465A
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 06:16:24 pm »
It was found to be within specifications, but then adjusted it to be even more 'on point'.

The low current function gets a 'done' label because the specs are typical and not guaranteed. 

Your question is exactly what keysight performed here.  It was so-so, and still within spec.  They took it upon themselves to make adjustments to make it more accurate.
All your volts are belong to me

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 06:21:55 pm »
Thanks CM!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I even called Keysight CS and they where not sure.

Offline MisterDiodes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2017, 06:39:22 pm »
Kj -
Look at your 34465a specs.  Those "Low DC current" specs are not hard specs, only "typical" - that means there is no max / min specified uncertainty limit.  Consider those a ballpark measure only, without any guaranteed accuracy.

A calibration will come in many levels - a basic cal will be that the instrument is just checked to be within spec (and that can be anywhere with published spec).  Calibration with data (aka "Z540") will come with actual measurement data.

You can also get a calibration with adjustment - which you may or may not want.  If you're building a long drift history on your equipment, you normally DON'T want any adjustment done IF your device is still within specification - and you'll correct your measures for drift yourself.  If you're using a meter say on a production line test and you sort of want those raw data measures to nearly match other meters on the line without any other drift correction - then you request an adjustment to be "within X ppm" of some nominal value, on whatever range you're interested in.  But normally this won't be done unless you request - and usually pay - for that extra service.  If the meter goes in for cal /  repair and a measuring range is out of spec:  Depending on the situation this becomes an "adjustment" or "repair" - it just depends on what is wrong, and how long will it take to get the instrument pulled back into spec.

Your meter is perfectly fine and within specification.  You're measures should be within the stated uncertainty for each range.  It is important to always be aware of the equipment limitations and absolute value uncertainty when going after low ppm measures - and take into account drift and expected uncertainty as you build up a drift history record unique to each piece of equipment.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 06:43:26 pm by MisterDiodes »

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, hwj-d

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 07:04:20 pm »
It actually says on the first page:

As Received Conditions
The measured values of the equipment were observed in specification at the points tested.

- The equipment was adjusted to optimize the performance.

Page 3 is just an explanation of terms used in their cal reports* (you'll typically see these graphs in "Keysight cal with guard banding" or "Keysight cal + uncertainties"), and page 4 is the summary of the tests done for received and completed.

*: see attached image

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 12:59:14 am »
kj

Did you download the pdf off of keysight web?

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 01:14:32 am »
kj

Yes (then redacted some personal info).

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 10:18:32 am »
Thanks.

They did not report pass/fail with the consideration of uncertainty, but it is just different paper with different pricing.
5730A is good enough to calibrate your meter, I believe. :popcorn:

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 03:36:52 am »
kj

Yes (then redacted some personal info).

I wanted to share 3458A certificate in another post.
But I just can't register into Keysight web (can't receive registration email). |O
The calibration includes uncertainties and a free adjustment (however I didn't request them do that!).
Maybe I will have to scan the papers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf