Author Topic: Datron 1071 repair  (Read 29410 times)

Offline feedback.loopTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Datron 1071 repair
« on: August 25, 2016, 06:06:44 pm »
A vintage metrology grade meter was repaired, calibrated and tested for stability. Not much was wrong with it: a couple of faulty caps, a stuck switch, and corrupt calibration data. The display is bad as well, but usable, so it can be tolerated for now. The loss of calibration is, of course, a big deal since I don't have appropriate equipment to calibrate a 7.5-digit meter, but I have done what I could given the circumstances. Then I run the meter together with HP 34401A for about 28 hours taking measurements of 10V from Fluke 341A calibrator over GPIB and plotting the data using Octave 4 with instrument-control package. The results look good: just a few ppm of drift over a wide temperature range, and the meters stayed within about 2.5 ppm from each other.

Datron 1071 Service Manual: http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/66.228.162.56/Datron_1071_Multimeter_Cal_and_Service_Handbook.pdf

https://youtu.be/jcCC867gKXE
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 06:30:33 pm by feedback.loop »

The following users thanked this post: Lesolee, Macbeth, macfly, zlymex, Falkra, CalMachine, denimdragon, voltampere, DC1MC

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Datron 1071 repair
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 06:21:26 pm »
Thanks for making another repair vid. I look forward to watching this tonight.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: acts238willy

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:21:41 pm »
 :-+ Thanks for sharing!

Are you sure the display itself is broken and not some of the driving circuitry?
There is to much of a pattern for my taste, I don't know, just a guess..

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:52:38 pm »
Thanks, will watch tonight.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 08:13:43 pm »
:-+ Thanks for sharing!

Are you sure the display itself is broken and not some of the driving circuitry?
There is to much of a pattern for my taste, I don't know, just a guess..

I am not entirely sure, but I couldn't find anything wrong with driving circuitry. And I vaguely remember seeing some posts about replacing such displays with ones from broken donor units.

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:30:39 pm »
Nice story telling. Good pace.

I also would think, that there are some bad solder junctions, or so, as the display shows too many correlated faulty segments.
Good luck for the repair.

You sound similar to TiN (which both is quite pleasant),
Do you also have an origin from Russia, or from neighboring states? (no degradation intended!)

Frank

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:52:34 pm »
Nice story telling. Good pace.

I also would think, that there are some bad solder junctions, or so, as the display shows too many correlated faulty segments.
Good luck for the repair.

You sound similar to TiN (which both is quite pleasant),
Do you also have an origin from Russia, or from neighboring states? (no degradation intended!)

Frank

Well, I will try to look again into the display circuitry, but it looked fine on the first glance.

Yes, I am from Russia originally. Same accent. It is hard to get rid of the accent if one learns a second language as adult. And I am sure I make mistakes from time to time with grammar and pronunciation.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:02 pm »
Some accents are very heavy. I find yours easy to understand. Keep up the good work! :-/O :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 11:15:50 pm »
I thought the voice sounded familiar ! , I had seen your fluke repair on youtube before  :-+.
As for the display I thought I had seen another couple of threads relating to cathode poisoning on these panaplex/nixie displays in the past, so see here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/gas-discharge-display-of-datron-4000-problems/?nowap
Note Gilbenl s reply with some links that may be useful.
And given you have replaced the HV cap I suspect it is indeed a worn out display  :(.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 11:38:38 pm »
Nice job on the repair so far. I think I have heard of someone replacing the panaplex display with a LCD display, though that might be for arcade purposes.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline macfly

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »

> It is hard to get rid of the accent if one learns a second language as adult. And I am sure I make mistakes from time to time with grammar ...

Thank you very much for this report - and don't worry about your accent. Your English is very good understandable.
Some of the native-english speaking fellows talk so fast and with dialect, which is sometimes absolut incomprehensibil for those, who learned
only Oxford English at school (sorry fellows  :-//).

Regards,

macfly

Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration (Thomas Alva Edison 1903)

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 05:19:30 pm »
Thanks for sharing and sorry for not being able to help with the repair of the display.  I was wondering instead about those diodes you identified as voltage reference in the DMM.  Is this the Williams' 'ring of two' configuration (there should be a NPN/PNP transistor pair nearby)?  I got away with the impressions that surface Zener diodes generally are noisy and age poorly, so I'm surprised to see them used as reference in a long-scale DMM.  Do subsurface, discrete Zener diodes exist (in a two-terminal package)?

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 06:49:14 pm »
Nice work, hope to see more on this box in future. Overall concept of design seem to be very similar to higher end 1271/1281.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 07:52:11 pm »
I believe that those orange plasma displays have a voltage rating of 220 V peak max.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 12:49:15 am »
Thanks for another interesting video.
I believe I have watched all of them!

It would seem you are collecting a good assortment for your lab.
Would be great to see your whole setup.

Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline zlymex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 03:15:24 am »
I once own a Datron 1071 and the reference is dual zener based(D59, D60). They didn't say anything about the maker and type, but I can see from the teardown photo that they were 1N829A.

My questions are:
Is 1N829A a subsurface Zener by any chance?
Do subsurface, discrete Zener diodes  in a two-terminal package exist? (repeat)

I don't have any 1N829 for test, but one of my friends has tested a 1N829 by his 3458A when power up. I don't recall any parameters(such as the current, NPLCs for 3458A) but here is the chart

I calculated the stdev in excel for 100 consecutive data to be 0.038ppm, which is good.

Online Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 04:31:59 am »
Hello Lymex,

the 1N82x series is a temperature compensated zener
(standard surface zener combined with a normal diode to compensate for T.C.)

There is a "zero TC" current (between 4 and 11 mA) where the T.C. is nearly zero over a 10 deg C temperature span.
So you will have to adjust the current individually after having sorted out the unstable zeners.

At least I dont know any discrete subsurface zeners.
I know them only as part of a integrated cirquit (LM329, LM399, LTZ1000, AD586, LT1021 ...)

With best regards

Andreas

Offline zlymex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 05:52:06 am »
I had several batches of 2DW23x that are also temperature compensated Zeners. The datasheet doesn't tell anything about the type neither, but the LF noise is much smaller than the best commercial Zeners (such as LTZ1000). That's why I suspect that there is any relationship between Zener type(such as whether buried or not) and the noise.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 06:23:41 am »
Thanks for sharing and sorry for not being able to help with the repair of the display.  I was wondering instead about those diodes you identified as voltage reference in the DMM.  Is this the Williams' 'ring of two' configuration (there should be a NPN/PNP transistor pair nearby)?  I got away with the impressions that surface Zener diodes generally are noisy and age poorly, so I'm surprised to see them used as reference in a long-scale DMM.  Do subsurface, discrete Zener diodes exist (in a two-terminal package)?

Regarding the configuration: there is a dual reference supply +-6.37 V. See the attached schemaitc

The following users thanked this post: guenthert, zhtoor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 06:28:37 am »
I believe that those orange plasma displays have a voltage rating of 220 V peak max.

You probably mean to say why the capacitor was rated for 450V. I later found in the service manual that it must be 350V. Someone replaced it with 450V one.
The display segments are driven from +5V to -175V.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 10:06:29 am »
Replacement selected 1N82x reference diodes from Datron were supplied as a matched zener and resistor pair. I don't know if the resistor was simply selected to set to optimum zero TC zener current, or whether there was any resistor TC matching involved too.
Best Regards, Chris

Offline dacman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2016, 10:51:19 pm »

You probably mean to say why the capacitor was rated for 450V. I later found in the service manual that it must be 350V. Someone replaced it with 450V one.
The display segments are driven from +5V to -175V.

I happen to know that there is (usually) about 280 Vdc across that capacitor.  The voltage gets dropped down to -175 Vdc with a series transistor regulator.  It's referenced to the +5 Vdc digital power supply.

What I was getting at, is if the display is suffering from cathode poisoning and it was desired to fix it by using double current or more for a time, then it seems to me that this would need to be accomplished by doubling the voltage, which I would not want to do with the display in the unit.  I'd also want to monitor the current draw in case the current increase was not linear.

Offline gilbenl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 12:23:31 pm »
Haven't had a moment to watch the video, but the 1071 is a great meter. Mine lacks the GPIB interface, which I plan to add at some point. A ROM dump from the GPIB board would be appreciated!

Regarding the display--I have a 1062 with the same fault. Unfortunately, I could never undo the cathode poisoning. There's very good info in the service manual regarding the display workings and a retrofit with a modern alternative should be doable, however, I haven't attempted. Alternatively, there are NOS and salvage Panaplex displays on ebay. They're not the purpose made datron units, but should be a serviceable replacement.

Theres a very slight chance that the issue is not with the display itself, but with the PS or driver board. Check the caps if you haven't.
What doesn't kill you, probably hurts a lot.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:40 am »
Teaser  :)

The following users thanked this post: TiN, bitseeker, Keicar

Offline ManateeMafia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 04:28:38 am »
Looking forward to it.

I have some Datron gear with broken displays but I have no time to fix them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf