Author Topic: Does Vishay calibrate their precision resistors before selling them?  (Read 2582 times)

Offline nourTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • calm down, it is just a smoked oPamP!
I want to buy some precision foil resistors from Vishay and I was wondering, do they calibrate resistors individually before sending them to customers if not, Can I ask them to do so?
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
You can ask them to do it, but you are unlikely ready to pay for it (hundreds $$$USD :).
Or try your luck with FSR which can come with calibration to 10ppm.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: nour

• Frequent Contributor
So basically they don't do it  :(, I thought if I pay 500$ for some resistors, I wouldn't need to Calibrate them later  :-DD
if what I have wrote doesn't make sense for you or you think there is something wrong, please correct me, I am still beginner and what I know probably less than what you know

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
I forget what Vishay call the service, but they have agents in a number of countries that will trim Vishay foil resistors to order. You can order arbitrary values and arbitrary precision. I don't know if they offer explicit traceability on these, but you can be pretty sure that if you order a 1k234 at 0.05% you'll get what you asked for.

I looked it up, they call them precision centres, see: www.resistors4u.com
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: nour

• Frequent Contributor
I have two main groups, one for some precision resistors that I will use as my lab standard (basically 1K,10K)--> this one I need it to be calibrated up to 6 digits or if possible more. The other group will contain also some matched precision voltage dividers and other individuals that I want to use to build a voltage ref.

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
I orderd my 3 VHP101 resistors with an "certificate of accuracy" from vishay. The certificate contains the values of the three resistors. Unfortunatley, without any information about the uncertainty.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 12:23:48 am by e61_phil »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
Wouldn't they be guaranteed to be within spec? (whatever they were sold as, i.e 1%, 0.5% 0.05% or whatever..)  Isn't that the whole point of buying higher precision?

I ordered 10ppm tolerance. After a few days, they told me that they can't sell 10ppm tolerance (which was possible as I ordered some VHP101 at work). At this point I already paid the resistors. Therefore, the compromise was to sell 50ppm tolerance and include this certificate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf