Author Topic: Fluke 5440B replacement  (Read 3142 times)

Offline e61_philTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Fluke 5440B replacement
« on: October 10, 2018, 05:47:23 pm »
Hi,

our Fluke 5440B at work died and it seems to be quite hard to find a "new" one these days.
Most of the time, the unit was used a a stable source for 5V, 10V, 625V and 1000V in both polarities.

I looked for a Fluke 5720A, but the service period will end next year and we don't want to spend 30k€ for a unit which can't be repaired in two years or so.

A Fluke 5730A will start over 60k€ and is quite pricey as a replacement of the Fluke 5440B which costs 2k5 two years ago.

A Fluke 5522A is still quite pricey and its stability is only 3ppm over 24h at 1000V. That is far too much. The 5440B was specified with 0.5ppm and that is what we need.

Does anyone know another calibrator which has comparable stability to the 5440B and is available on the market? If the costs are above 10k it should also be serviceable.

Thanks
Philipp
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:22:59 pm by e61_phil »

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 5440B replacement
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 05:59:28 pm »
Rainer-foertig.de still lists a 5440B for 1899€.
What about repair, by you capable volt-nuts?

The following users thanked this post: e61_phil, Mr. Scram

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:40 pm »
The cal lab I have been using officially here has 3 Fluke 5730A
When I asked him about the 60k euro price tag, he said that it is just an inflated list price.
So may be you can negotiate the price dramatically.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 08:12:04 pm »
Rainer-foertig.de still lists a 5440B for 1899€.
What about repair, by you capable volt-nuts?

I found many pages with used stuff, but I wasn't aware of Rainer-Foertig. Thanks!!

The cal lab I have been using officially here has 3 Fluke 5730A
When I asked him about the 60k euro price tag, he said that it is just an inflated list price.
So may be you can negotiate the price dramatically.

Interesting! I'm already in contact with CalPlus...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:23:44 pm by e61_phil »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:44:07 pm »
Out of curiosity, what does it approximately cost to have one of these Fluke 5440Bs calibrated?

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:11:01 pm »
Get a second 5440B so you can swap boards for quick diagnostics.
Apart from that, these instruments have good stability, have few custom parts inside and full schematic is available, so I wouldn't change unless you absolutely have to. Don't think that new calibrators are that serviceable, much more custom parts and usually no schematic.

Offline RobK_NL

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:21:40 am »
I have two 5440s I want to part with. PM me if you're interested.
Tell us what problem you want to solve, not what solution you're having problems with

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 07:26:07 am »
Get a second 5440B so you can swap boards for quick diagnostics.
Apart from that, these instruments have good stability, have few custom parts inside and full schematic is available, so I wouldn't change unless you absolutely have to. Don't think that new calibrators are that serviceable, much more custom parts and usually no schematic.

This is what I've done at home. But this question here is for a replacement in the company. And Fluke will hopefully service the 5730A the next years.
Nobody here in the company will repair these units by themself (that doesn't make sense economically).

I have two 5440s I want to part with. PM me if you're interested.

I will do so :)

Offline MadTux

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:15:57 pm »
Recapping the inguard PCBs makes them much more reliable.
Just resurrected my 2th 5440B by just recapping the inguard regulator board (last board in the back).
It had random "inguard bus failure" fault or something, especially during warmup, when it needed most power.

Almost all electrolytics in the inguard section have really bad ESR in my units, especially the yellow 22uF/50V ones. Capacity is more or less fine, but ESR is really bad, 1++ Ohm usually. I'm currently in the process of recapping all inguard boards with better, larger capacity electrolytics to fix them completely.

3th 5440 has display problem and also problem with PSU and power distribution on backplane, backplane connectors got damaged during shipping some times in the past, probably because heavy transformer wasn't attached with screws. But shouldn't be too hard to fix once I have 2 working ones.

The following users thanked this post: ManateeMafia, e61_phil

Offline ManateeMafia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 10:29:14 pm »
This is my current project. I have been chasing +5v issues in the inguard section. It appears a leaky capacitor has caused some corrosion on that same regulator board. Some cleaning has been successful but I need to deep clean that area. My cap order showed up yesterday and will be performed tomorrow. I still have inguard comm errors that seem to be related elsewhere but I hope this will clear it up the +5v rail for a while.

I think I will change the 5 optocouplers on the guard crossing pcb for good measure.

The unit had no errors when I got it a few years ago but was never fully tested and now it is sitting on the bench.

The following users thanked this post: MadTux

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf