Author Topic: Gold plated banana plugs - question  (Read 9831 times)

Offline cdevTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Gold plated banana plugs - question
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:30:57 pm »
I recently bought a set of Kelvin clips with a banana plug connection and also at around the same time got a package of gold plated banana plugs from ebay with the purpose of making up a bunch of nice test leads with thick low-resistance copper wire.

However, I was kind of distressed to find when they both arrived within a few days of one another that their banana plugs all had a swiveling pin in the center so the handle and its attached wire rotates.

Currently the connections they make aren't particularly noisy but I can see some (currently small) interruption in the continuity (on the oscilloscope) when voltage is applied and banana connector 'swiveled'.

Its likely a dab of solder on each end would permanently anchor the plugs so they cannot swivel without covering the curved portion of the plug where the electrical connection is made.

Would you do/have you done that? Is there any reason I shouldn't?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:11:07 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline MK

• Regular Contributor
Re: Gold plated banana plugs - question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:19:16 pm »
check in an incononspicous part of the plating to see if they are brass anyway, if they are then they are ok for 4.5 digit meters, but it might help you decide what to do with them...

The following users thanked this post: cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:03:45 pm »
How could I tell?

Will Google a bit more, I should have before posting.

The main reason I would like to be able to measure very low resistances accurately is because having a very low resistance can make a huge difference with the "Q" factor with loop antennas, specifically.

They look like gold plating, although they might be brass under the gold.

The meter that I'm hoping to use the Kelvin clips on is a GWInstek GDM-8251A and it has 120000 counts.

I will take a good photo of them with a tripod and decent lighting and upload it here in a bit.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 05:21:07 pm by cdev »

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 05:17:28 pm »
The possibility to rotate can be a problem in some cases, as this is an extra movable contact. However for the kelvin clips this should not be a problem, as the cable resistance should not matter.

For testing how good the connectors are from the point of thermal EMF, one could do a test. In the lowest voltage range of the meter use such a cable for a short and touch one of the connectors with the hand to warm it. This should be a worse than the worst normal use case. If you see a voltage of more than about 10 digits one might have to consider better plugs or some care when using them for low DC voltages.

Just a gold coating would not be a problem, as the metal is usually so thin that there is essentially no temperature difference across the coating. If the coating is more than 1 mm I would not complain either.  :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:08 pm »
Okay -

It does appear to be working..

My meter is still settling down, it seems. When turned on it registered around 16 uv with the Kelvin leads shorted and now its showing around 0-1 uv

its set to the 100 uv range.

I'll wait a bit longer and see if it gets to zero. Warming one plug up doesn't seem to generate measurable voltage.. but I am not sure if I am doing it correctly.

This is actually the first time Ive attempted to measure such a low voltage. 

It shows the current coming out of an LED from ambient light shining on it.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 08:00:49 pm by cdev »

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 07:36:04 pm »
I would also use a magnet to test if they are iron ...As many Chinese banana plugs are (the ebay source).

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 07:53:16 pm »
Thank you for that, indeed, they do appear to be attracted to a magnet..

All of the banana plugs on test leads that I have here are!

Offline MK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »
check it is not just the screw that is attracted to the magnet, also the way to tell what is under the gold plate is to file a lttle bit of the plating off in some non contact area somewhere that does not affect the measurements.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 09:13:25 pm »
It does seem like it is the (central holding) screw mostly which is being attracted..

check it is not just the screw that is attracted to the magnet, also the way to tell what is under the gold plate is to file a lttle bit of the plating off in some non contact area somewhere that does not affect the measurements.

Need to find some photos of what typical "underlying metals" might look like at 20x magnification.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 09:24:39 pm »
Is the part arrow points in attached picture, the "central pin screw" you are referring?

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 09:39:18 pm by Vtile »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 09:43:44 pm »
Yes and on mine that part is not gold plated, its silver colored. the other side of the 'swivel' is though, thats the part the screw to hold the wire screws into.

Offline MK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 10:18:21 pm »
It does seem like it is the (central holding) screw mostly which is being attracted..

Need to find some photos of what typical "underlying metals" might look like at 20x magnification.
The underlying metals might be steel, brass or copper.

Offline Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:36 pm »
It is typical Chinese banana plug cheapening it seems, I do have also those which have the ferromagnetic material used in the body of the connector, to overall quality on those are also poor and do have those "connection" issues. One tweak is to use a hammer to squeeze the head of the connector a bit to make better contact with the loose spring assembly and body if the structure is the same as on the connector I attached picture of (which are also chinese Uni-T branded and do not suffer noticeable issues and aren't magnetic ... at least the one pair I do have).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:49:27 pm by Vtile »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 12:08:17 am »
For what I paid they are still a good value, they just need a tiny bit of work to make them what I was hoping for.

I think I'm going to add the dab of solder to stop them from spinning. That should be enough for now, the screw seems to hold the wire fairly securely. If not I'll solder that too.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:57:59 am »
I've posted about this before recentlyish, recent batches of banana plugs i've had from China have had very very loose spring bits, from multiple suppliers.

i ended up soldering the springy bits top and bottom,  I hung them by the cross-hole on the soldering iron tip, heated, and flowed solder in as appropriate, you can do it pretty tidy.  It's a PITA, but without doing so in my opinion they were near worthless.

The cross holes on some were also very bad and would need drilling, they went in my junk drawer.

I have not had such bad ones before.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:59:33 am »
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 11:39:50 am »
I tried to explain to the seller what I was looking for and what I might have to do. I wasnt sure if they understood me.

But I tried.

Offline martinr33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 02:03:13 pm »
I've been looking for reasonably priced copper banana plugs before.

If you file off the plating at the back of the connector and see reddish metal,let us all know!

You most likely have brass. Brass is yellow, close in color to the plating. If you are unlucky, you will have steel or even pot metal which look gray.

Generally, brass in Chinese  seems to translate to copper in English. However, as I noted, there is little chance or risk of getting copper.

All that said, you will have a hard time getting to a millivolt of error. Tens of microvolts, if there is a temperature difference between the contacts.

The following users thanked this post: 001

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 02:52:00 pm »
I am using these plugs with good results.

Cheers

Alex

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2017, 03:25:19 pm »
Is "multi-contact" a trade mark/brand or a generic term for that kind of plug?

Cheers

Alex

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:49 pm »
Is "multi-contact" a trade mark/brand or a generic term for that kind of plug?

Cheers

Alex

http://ec.staubli.com/

Cheers

Alex

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2017, 08:33:52 pm »
Chinese commerce standards dictate that any metal that is gold-colored can be referred to as 'gold'. Ebay is pretty good at keeping the Chinese from marketing gold-colored jewelry as 'gold', but banana plugs I'm not so sure.

Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline glarsson

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2017, 10:17:10 pm »
One can easily detect that the inner metal is an alloy - not pure tellurium copper ...
Tellurium copper, CuTe, is an alloy of mostly copper with a small part of tellurium. What other alloy are you referring to?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2017, 11:28:00 pm »
What's a good setup to take advantage of sense wires?

Right now my desk is not so roomy so my power supplies are a good two meters from my desk. Enough so there has been quite measurable voltage drop in my previous power wires.

I'm making up new cables and Ive decided to solder the banana plugs everywhere I use them. I think I am going to try crimped and then soldered spade lugs for the power leads in stead of banana plugs. Less chance of them coming off, also they are flatter, so more surface area to make contact. if the wires are stranded and clean (freshly stripped and maybe cleaned with IPA) and the wire gauge is enough to fill the interior of the crimp connector fully before crimping, should I solder it as well, or will that not add much?

On my power supply there is no choice for the sense wires, it just takes banana plugs.

I have some fairly thin shielded two conductor wire. Recently when Ive used that for power lines (but its too thin) for my electronics Ive been connecting the shield to ground. It did seem to make an improvement (reduction in RF noise) That wire is too thin for use for power cables except when the current is really low but it does seem like it might be ideal for sense wires. They are twisted on the inside but not as much as say the thin wire from Ethernet cables. Basically they are my two options for sense wires. Is using Ethernet wire not good- too thin? if it has a longish distance to go?
( as I said two meters or perhaps even more.)  I wish my power supplies were smaller. All but my little HP take up a fair amount of space.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:00:33 pm by cdev »

Offline Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 05:37:11 am »
MC - Multi-Contact - Staubli:
The well-respected (german) company Staubli is the owner of the Multi-Contact brand (not to be confused with a white good MC brand from Farnell PLC) - Staubli used to be the parent company of Hirschmann - (famous for its BUELA 20K banana plug) - and Hirschmann brand was recently acquired by Belden Cable.

Hello,

I think you are mixing up some things:
Stäubli and MC are Swiss companies.
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/St%C3%A4ubli_International

Hirschmann is a german founded company.
Afaik there is/was no connection to MC/Stäubli.
Aquisition by Belden was in 2007.
http://www.beldensolutions.com/en/Company/About_Us/belden_brands/belden_history/index.phtml
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirschmann_(Unternehmen)

With best regards

Andreas

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 05:44:08 am by Andreas »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf