Author Topic: Help ! Extech Ex-540 or Brymen BM869s  (Read 6247 times)

Offline CristianoTopic starter

Help ! Extech Ex-540 or Brymen BM869s
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:59:28 am »
  Dear Friends;

I'm in doubt. Whats better ,buy Extech Ex-540 or Brymen BM869s? Could you give me advice ?    :bullshit: :scared:

best regards

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
Re: Help ! Extech Ex-540 or Brymen BM869s
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 09:07:06 am »
Get the Brymen. I have a PeakTech 3360 a similar meter to the Extech (made by the same oem, CEM). Continuity is really slow, range switch is annoying, but then again I got the meter for ~90$ which is an ok price. Also CEM meters seem to have quality control issues. Extech also sells Brymen made meters but they're probably more expensive.

The following users thanked this post: Cristiano

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 02:19:51 pm »
@Cristiano, What are your requirements and budget?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »
I have a PeakTech 3360 a similar meter to the Extech (made by the same oem, CEM).
If your 3360 is anything like this

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/95058/PT_3360_DMM_Scan.jpg

The soldering is the usual CEM "quality".  That is, terrible.  Examples, C12, C36, R53 and the resistor next to it, DH4.  The pictured one above isn't as bad as some others shown here on the forum.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-extech-ex570-my-first-but-also-last-extech/
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 02:46:30 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:56:04 pm »
Another vote for the Brymen.  :-+

FWIW, Greenlee also rebrands Brymen (DM-860A is what they call the BM869). I also like these meters in green.  8)

As per Extech, they only rebrand the BM857 & BM859 AFAIK (renamed MM560A & MM570A respectively). Personally, I find the function symbol printing is a lot harder to read than an actual Brymen labeled unit.

Price wise, tme.eu is the least expensive source I'm aware of (BM869 is ~$230 shipped).

Offline acbern

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:12:07 pm »
This thread should better be in test equipment and not metrology.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:48:33 pm »
I have a PeakTech 3360 a similar meter to the Extech (made by the same oem, CEM).
If your 3360 is anything like this

http://www.mikrocontroller.net/attachment/95058/PT_3360_DMM_Scan.jpg

The soldering is the usual CEM "quality".  That is, terrible.  Examples, C12, C36, R53 and the resistor next to it, DH4.  The pictured one above isn't as bad as some others shown here on the forum.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/teardown-extech-ex570-my-first-but-also-last-extech/

Mine is a tad better. Point being that I payed ~90$, extech 530(equivalent model?) is 200$ on amazon. On the positive side the case seems sturdy and somewhat waterproof. Think mjlorton did a review. Brymen beats it ofc but works fine in the tool bag.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:05 am »
I have been using the EX540 for several years now. Looks like you could get a very good deal on one as they are phasing them out.   May even be less expensive than the BM869s.   I have been using the BM869s for home almost a year now.   I like them both.   The EX540 gets a lot of abuse.  I loaned it out once and the person who had it decided the selector switch needed some new positions.  This cracked the hex shaped hole and I had to epoxy it back together.  More solid now than it was.  While I had the meter tore down, I looked at the build quality.  Soldering looked good.  I have also had the meter returned with blown fuses.  The lettering on the EX540 has not held up very well.   But unlike where I use the BM869s as a sort of portable bench meter, the EX540 gets some battle scars.   It's been dropped a few times and really no problems other than the switch.   Even the plastic over the LCD has held up pretty good.   I do like the hard case supplied with the EX540 along with the magnetic strap.   I did write a Labview interface for it but have not used the RF link as much as I originally thought I would.     

What are your questions / concerns? 

Dear Friends;

I'm in doubt. Whats better ,buy Extech Ex-540 or Brymen BM869s? Could you give me advice ?    :bullshit: :scared:

best regards

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 09:24:24 pm »
This thread should better be in test equipment and not metrology.

Thanks . You're right . I am new here , I did't find this category " test equipament".

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:14 pm »
I have been using the EX540 for several years now. Looks like you could get a very good deal on one as they are phasing them out.   May even be less expensive than the BM869s.   I have been using the BM869s for home almost a year now.   I like them both.   The EX540 gets a lot of abuse.  I loaned it out once and the person who had it decided the selector switch needed some new positions.  This cracked the hex shaped hole and I had to epoxy it back together.  More solid now than it was.  While I had the meter tore down, I looked at the build quality.  Soldering looked good.  I have also had the meter returned with blown fuses.  The lettering on the EX540 has not held up very well.   But unlike where I use the BM869s as a sort of portable bench meter, the EX540 gets some battle scars.   It's been dropped a few times and really no problems other than the switch.   Even the plastic over the LCD has held up pretty good.   I do like the hard case supplied with the EX540 along with the magnetic strap.   I did write a Labview interface for it but have not used the RF link as much as I originally thought I would.     

What are your questions / concerns? 

Dear Friends;

best regards

Hi Joe;

Thanks for your answer. What you say is very true. The EX-540 is very robust.
   I bought this multimeter and it arrived for me today. The manual is poor, few details, but the product have a good quality.
I have some doubts about some functions.

best regards

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 12:43:06 am »
 :-+  Hope you enjoy it.   Were you able to find a good deal?   There was a recall on the early version.   If you check the serial number on the back, if it starts with an 'A', you are good to go.   

I use mine a lot and really like having the three displays. Wish my Brymen had it.  To be honest, the manual for it is on par with most of them.  If you ever pull it apart, take some pictures of the rotary switch and board.   Maybe they improved it.  Mine is fairly old.   

Hi Joe;

I bought this multimeter and it arrived for me today. The manual is poor, few details, but the product have a good quality.

best regards

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 12:54:06 am »
:-+  Hope you enjoy it.   Were you able to find a good deal?   There was a recall on the early version.   If you check the serial number on the back, if it starts with an 'A', you are good to go.   

I use mine a lot and really like having the three displays. Wish my Brymen had it.  To be honest, the manual for it is on par with most of them.  If you ever pull it apart, take some pictures of the rotary switch and board.   Maybe they improved it.  Mine is fairly old.   

Hi Joe;

best regards

Hi Joe;

Yes , my EX540 serial number starts with A!!!

thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf