Author Topic: High value resistors: what use are they?  (Read 6248 times)

Offline tggzzzTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
High value resistors: what use are they?
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:07:06 pm »
If you had resistors in the range 10e9 to 1000e9, what would you use them for? Assume they are "properly mounted" with BNC connectors.

Why? There are some at a local technical college, and they might get rid of them.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
Re: High value resistors: what use are they?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 05:15:40 pm »
I generally use high resistance values in conjunction with stable voltage sources to get low current.  Not 100% sure if that is a proper use for them, but it seems to be fairly repeatable and reproducible.  IE; I've used our 732B with our Russian 1GOhm standard to get a fairly accurate and stable 10 nA source.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:19:28 pm by CalMachine »
All your volts are belong to me

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 05:18:57 pm »
I agree. I have a Fluke 731B that I will use with 10G and 100G resistors to check my KE487 picoammeter at its lowest measurement range. When I have both the 731B and the resistors calibrated, I will use the 731B and the resistors to calibrate the 487.
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 05:25:36 pm »
Popular uses include resistive dividers for feedback for high voltage applications (as in convert a 0V-10kV to a 0V-1V range, whilst not sucking any noteworthy current), biasing, interesting measurements such as http://cds.linear.com/docs/en/lt-journal/LTJournal-V25N2-00-df-LTC6268-GlenBrisebois.pdf .
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 06:13:29 pm »
If you had resistors in the range 10e9 to 1000e9, what would you use them for?

Use them in a transresistance amplifier to measure the input leakage current on the high-Z buffer amplifier that I'm currently designing (once it's built, obviously).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 07:45:55 pm »
I work with a lot of high voltage so I often use resistors of that order of magnitude or more. I have found myself saying "we only have to measure 100G"
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

Offline TimFox

• Super Contributor
  • Retired, now restoring antique test equipment
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:34:48 pm »
Be careful with high-voltage applications.
There are high-value high-voltage resistors, that are hefty and usually long.  Caddock makes some nice ones that are several inches long.
There are also high-value resistors such as used in Keithley electrometers that are not rated for high voltage, but are useful in making transresistance amplifiers for sensible voltage levels.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 09:04:07 pm »
Useful?  Sure!  Just don't get your filthy fingerprints all over them!!  :rant: :rant:

:-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:14 pm »
To set low currents, e.g. the Keyley 617 electrometer's calibration procedure calls for a 100GOhm resistor (and a Teraohmmeter to determine the actual value of that resistor).

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 02:42:08 am »
To set low currents, e.g. the Keyley 617 electrometer's calibration procedure calls for a 100GOhm resistor (and a Teraohmmeter to determine the actual value of that resistor).

I believe that the modern day instrument of choice for measuring a 100G resistor will be a MI bridge. I will find out later this month and report back. I have a DIY 10G mounted in a small enclosure and I have a 100G KE5155 on the way to me, hopefully in time for my visit to the calibration lab. I also have a Fluke 5450A which has resistances up to 100M. I will find out what is used to calibrate the 5450A.
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 09:16:10 am »
Thanks for some interesting replies and links; nighttime reading :)

It may be relevant that the BNC connectors are ~6" apart and they are marked as "transfer resistors". The effects of surface leakage in the BNC connectors and cable effects could be "interesting" :)

Now I have to decide whether to get the resistors. Ah, decisions, decisions.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Neilm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:53 pm »

It may be relevant that the BNC connectors are ~6" apart and they are marked as "transfer resistors". The effects of surface leakage in the BNC connectors and cable effects could be "interesting" :)

Transfer resistors makes it sound as if these are used as transfer standards. That is something that is stable enough that it can be measured with a unit that is known to be calibrated (for instance by a full calibration lab, national standards agency etc), then it can be measured by an instrument that the user wants to calibrate. This will allow the user to "transfer" the calibration of the knowwn instrument to the unknown instrument. (I know that is simplistic). The uncertainties of measurement will increase.

Given two BNC connectors, I would have thought that the inner parts were connected to the resistor and the outer part connected to the guard. I would hope that only one of the connectors was connected to the guard or else there will be a releatively low resistance across the terminals meaning the tester has to supply a lot more current.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Tesla referral code https://ts.la/neil53539

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 04:50:22 pm »
Well, I'm picking these up next week, all being well. Hopefully that is 10Gohm and the other is 1Tohm.

Now to find a use for them; if not maybe I'll sell them.

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »
The connectors look like MHV instead of BNC.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:43:08 pm by e61_phil »

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 09:25:52 pm »
Yes, MHV type. The question I'm surprised nobody has asked is, how do you DIY a decent gigohm and higher resistor? What materials might lend themselves to being the resistance element? Can you simulate a high value resistor to moderate frequencies with a floating battery powered opamp circuit, using easily obtainable values, to an accuracy higher than and actual device?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
The MHV connector observation leads to a number of thoughts:
  • bugger, more expense :)
  • phew, I least I didn't ensure a BNC made a connection
  • ah, so that's how large voltages can be applied
  • I like this forum: it has interesting topics, interesting responses, and (even though I try) I end up learning more than I could possibly teach others

Thanks!

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2017, 09:28:49 pm »
When you need atto-amps from mega-volts they come in mighty handy
Obviously that comes at a price and some major tradeoffs, including a slight risk of death by electrocution...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 11:48:13 pm by grouchobyte »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf