Author Topic: HP3458A on eBay - feasible DIY project? [NO GO]  (Read 10903 times)

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
Re: HP3458A on eBay - feasible DIY project? [NO GO]
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:42 am »
you mean Vishay prec. g.?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:01:24 am by ap »
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:32 pm »
Yes - Vishay.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:50:41 am by Assafl »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »
And it has been sold, someone paid the asking price of 2K. Maybe I should put one of mine on ebay and see how much someone is willing to pay...

Sure, do so.
But what else do you want to tell us by your statement....?

I didn't buy it if that is what you're thinking.
VE7FM

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
No, I did not assume you bought it, I just thought you maybe believe the buyer's price was to high.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2017, 10:52:18 pm »
It was more then I would pay for a "parts" unit. Had the seller indicated the power on self tests passed that would be another story.
VE7FM

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2017, 08:28:32 am »
Well, it passed power on test without errors as could be seen from the pictures (err light not on), unless the seller did not mention he deleted any error messages (which would be kind of fraud I guess). That said, power on test does not mean much, but you always have that issue with these units, most are only being sold that way. And even if someone does a short test and applies a voltage, then there is e.g. still the issue that the A/D drifts, and others. And such items seem to sell for even more.

The following users thanked this post: Pipelie

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
All your volts are belong to me

Offline Pipelie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »
Well, it passed power on test without errors as could be seen from the pictures (err light not on), unless the seller did not mention he deleted any error messages (which would be kind of fraud I guess). That said, power on test does not mean much, but you always have that issue with these units, most are only being sold that way. And even if someone does a short test and applies a voltage, then there is e.g. still the issue that the A/D drifts, and others. And such items seem to sell for even more.
yes, that the reason, why I don't want to  pay more than ?$1000 for 3458 on eBay, even the unit pass self-test. we are usually buy it locally, and test it to make sure the unit don't have A/D drifts problem. 

Offline rastro

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 06:59:41 pm »
yes, that the reason, why I don't want to  pay more than ?$1000 for 3458 on eBay, even the unit pass self-test. we are usually buy it locally, and test it to make sure the unit don't have A/D drifts problem.
Can't blame you for being careful.  What's a typical local market price for a working 3458A?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 11:29:48 pm »
3600 euros for a working one seems like a much better deal than $1800 for a basket case. That's still a lot of money, but this is a rather specialized instrument that few have a need for, I would expect they're a niche product produced in very small quantities. Really we are just spoiled by ridiculously cheap mass produced gear that has gotten astonishingly good. I mean look at what a basic 3.5 digit DMM cost in the mid 70s.

I've noticed lately more and more stuff on ebay is listed as BIN for top dollar rather than being auctioned off, and much of it sits for months being relisted over and over. Of the stuff that does sell, it is often "offer excepted" and doesn't show what the actual offer was. New people show up wanting to sell something, look at what other people are asking for theirs and post a similar price. The same even spreads to swap meets, I've seen ebay listings printed out to justify the asking price. I don't go to swap meets to pay top dollar for used gear with no warranty or support.

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:02 am »
full blow up Calibration cost for 3458A is about 2500USD if I want to buy 3458A then keysight shop in the ebay is the first place I will look at with an assumption they will calibrated a used 3458a before they sell it at they store.
last time I see the store I they ask 5000USD ++ compare to 9000USD ++ for brand new one   

Offline Tony_G

• Frequent Contributor
  • Checkout my old test gear channel (link in sig)
    • TGSoapbox
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 07:44:13 pm »
I picked mine up from a Western Digital factory closing in California and was able to send it off to Keysight in Loveland CO for calibration for around $600.

Once they calibrated it, I put it on a 3 year extended warranty for another $600

All in all, the folks at Loveland were outstanding.

I think they'll even do a no questions asked repair of a unit for around $2800 - Don't know if that covers missing boards though.

TonyG

Offline Theboel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 01:30:36 am »
I picked mine up from a Western Digital factory closing in California and was able to send it off to Keysight in Loveland CO for calibration for around $600.

Once they calibrated it, I put it on a 3 year extended warranty for another $600

All in all, the folks at Loveland were outstanding.

I think they'll even do a no questions asked repair of a unit for around $2800 - Don't know if that covers missing boards though.

TonyG
[/quot

When they found Your  Dallas NVRAM batteries already near end of life they will ask for 2600USD and one thing for country without Keysight lab with capabilities to calibrate 3458A they will send it overseas and customer will pay the shipment and tax  |O

If they ask 2600USD for repair and calibration and its covers missing board I think the 3458A club will have some new member  :-DD
any one like to ask to keysight about it ?

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 01:33:09 am »
It doesn't need to be asked - they require a complete 3458A for the overall service.
VE7FM

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf