Author Topic: I have pimped my "Keysight" 3458A  (Read 4934 times)

Offline HighVoltageTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I have pimped my "Keysight" 3458A
« on: July 15, 2017, 03:07:38 pm »
In 10/2016 I bought my 3458A in like perfect condition and only a few years old.

This was an Agilent branded model but somehow I like the Keysight logo layout much more and upgraded the display window.  Also, I added the side handle left and right for protection of the instrument and a much cooler look.

I am really happy with the outcome and the instrument appears to be a current model.
Here are some before and after pictures.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: quarks, SeanB, TiN, Muxr, Keysight DanielBogdanoff

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
Re: I have pimped my "Keysight" 3458A
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 03:36:06 pm »
Hello Andreas HighVoltage,
really looks nicer, so maybe you want to remove that agilent-winner-sticker.
And no reference pimping?

The Geller lab reference is really stable, -2ppm in 2 years.. and my measurement then was really close to the cal lab.
The hp logo on mine, anyhow, still is best.  >:D

Frank
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:34:22 pm by Dr. Frank »

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:42:44 pm »
Meh, KS couldn't even get 1/2 fraction symbol right. And what a clickbaity topic name, I was at least expecting 9 1/2 digits and 1ppm/year
 ^-^
See even Dr.Frank is confused:

Hello Andreas,
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:46:45 pm »
Making people expecting it's a Keysight sounds for me like a downgrade rather than pimping. Why? Keysight is younger. A really upgrade would have been changing it to HP ;)
I also don't like the handles, but this is just my personal opinion.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 03:52:53 pm »
Indeed, i also expected at least a statistical LTZ1000-Array and maybe a software-upgrade for PT100-measurement?!  :-DD  ;)
But it looks nice!

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 04:00:12 pm »
KS label = new and drifty. HP label = old and stable if proven not drifty  :-DD

Have pair of labels and front panel since January.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:01:46 pm by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:49 pm »
I still have not made lot of use of my 6.5 digit DMM to it's full precision. These things are nuts.

I wish I had the time to make some of my gear look better, just happy they work at the moment.
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 04:40:02 pm »
Indeed, i also expected at least a statistical LTZ1000-Array and maybe a software-upgrade for PT100-measurement?!  :-DD  ;)
But it looks nice!

The 3458A already has math built in for two different characteristics of PT100, you might also scale the Ohm reading, for PT1000 or for 0°C correction, before calculating the temperature.
And the 3458A has a BASIC interpreter, where you might program any kind of sensor-conversion.

Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 04:51:45 pm »

TiN, your stacks of instruments are always impressive !

But KS-Label and drifty .... ?
Look at my 34470A, it is in perfect alignment.
Even my 34410A agrees.

I bought a second 34470A, it is a Keysight Germany right now for a full calibration.
May be, I compare all of them to its CAL certificate, when it is back. But so far I am
very happy with the Keysight instruments.

Although I must agree, the HP Logo still looks the best and they should never have changed that.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:53:27 pm by HighVoltage »
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 04:55:45 pm »

TiN, your stacks of instruments are always impressive !

But KS-Label and drifty .... ?
Look at my 34470A, it is in perfect alignment.
Even my 34410A agrees.

I bought a second 34470A, it is a Keysight Germany right now for a full calibration.
May I compare all of them to its CAL certificate, when it is back. But so far I am
very happy with the Keysight instruments.

It might not actually be drifty.. but the keysight label portrays more drift within the unit than an HP label or even an Agilent label.  The LTZ1000 references in older labeled units will (most likely) have been aging for a significantly longer time, hence... A more settled reference and lower drift.

That is why, IMO, HP labeled 3458A's are the best.  But back then they didn't standardize the better tempco resistor, they do now.  I forget which one it is exactly... It's been documented on here several times.
All your volts are belong to me

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »
Before we start whole label witch-hunt, i'd clarify that drifty is a relative term, and I'm sure that any fresh new 3458A are well within it's specs unless faulty. It's just a common knowledge that any reference will take quite a while to get at best stability. Sometimes it's month, and with highest stability instruments that best stability plateau might take years.

Sure you know this already. Big part of metrology is statistics based and finding way to predict drift rates well, be it 0.001 ppm value or 1% one, is one of the important tasks, which take years :). And I'm also sure 34470A's are fine instruments, but they are nowhere to be proven like the 3458A is. Also you know better, that 34470A, even if you took it right from the calibration station at KS within 24 hours cannot be used to verify 3458A DCV specification due to 1:1 TUR (24hr 34470 vs 1 year 3458A). So one would need bank 732A/Bs with known history to be able prove or disapprove drift statement :).

For newcomers to this thread: label only means when unit was last time serviced/made. There are many HP meters with KS labels, and perhaps some KS meters with HP label. It does not mean much, separate from the unit history/use case.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:31:09 pm by TiN »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 06:14:23 pm »
I also added handles to my 3458A's. The HP logo's will be staying though.
VE7FM

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 06:39:43 pm »
I like to refurbish my equipment as much as possible and keep it looking good, but swapping out an HP label is akin to putting a VW badge on your Porsche. David Packard and Bill Hewlett were there at the beginning of Silicon Valley and it's too bad their name didn't end up with the test equipment portion of the company. Lots of histories, but this one is pretty good- https://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/07/26/hp_photos/

I have one of the very early oscillators I need to restore, also one of the later 200CDR models that looks brand new.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 06:42:03 pm by Conrad Hoffman »

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis, CalMachine

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 06:40:57 pm »

The Geller lab reference is really stable, -2ppm in 2 years.. and my measurement then was really close to the cal lab.
Frank

Hello Frank
Neither the Geller Labs nor the 3458A was warmed up enough.
By tomorrow it will have settled to about -1ppm from the time that you last measured it.

Somehow this Geller Labs SVRT does not need any pimping, its is probably as best as it can be.
Joe Geller did a really nice job back then.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 09:12:07 am »
Hi all,

Must admit I changed out the whole front panel/bezel/display panel on my 3458a. It's an HP unit and looked a bit aged and discoloured, so it's really "nice" to have it looking like new albeit Keysight branded.

However, I would have liked to have retained the HP branding so I'm thinking I am on the lookout for new old stock HP display panel......or perhaps even get one custom made/printed.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2017, 12:10:28 pm »

Hello all - I have received my Agilent 3458A unit somewhere in April 2014 and have upgraded the unit with a 2ppm DC Ref board  03458-66529 (A/HFL), the keyboard has an extra statistical firmware layer
and I have taken some pictures of the unit in its natural habitat:

Hopefully you will enjoy !

Yabba Dabba Doo !

Fred Flinstone
55 Cobblestone Road
Bedrock

Nice pictures, Flinstone
But your display seems dim, especially since the picture has not much background light.
Or did you find a way to dim it down for longer lifetime?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2017, 12:51:07 pm »

Frank

Hello Frank
Neither the Geller Labs nor the 3458A was warmed up enough.
By tomorrow it will have settled to about -1ppm from the time that you last measured it.

Somehow this Geller Labs SVRT does not need any pimping, its is probably as best as it can be.
Joe Geller did a really nice job back then.

One day later and a fresh ACAL on the 3458A and 34470A
Now the Geller SVRT is less than 1 ppm away from what Dr.Frank measured about 2 years ago.
The 34410A just sits at 10.000,01 all day and not even the last digit is moving.
BTW, the 34410A also got a face lift with a new "Keysight" display window.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf