Author Topic: I would like to buy this Pomona cable  (Read 3715 times)

Offline eurofoxTopic starter

• Supporter
    • Music
I would like to buy this Pomona cable
« on: May 09, 2018, 08:02:19 pm »
Dear Volt nutting friends  :-DMM

I would like to buy the "Test Leads 60" DOUBLE BAN SHLD BALANCED LINE" from Pomona

Datasheet: https://www.mouser.be/datasheet/2/159/d1167_100-54850.pdf

Please share your experience with this kind of cable.

Regards,

eurofox
eurofox

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
Re: I would like to buy this Pomona cable
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 09:52:02 pm »
Not trying to sway you one way or the other, just mentioning these in case you have not seen them;

https://www.ab-precision.de/products/accessories/

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 02:38:29 am »
I've used a pair of the 4" cables for some AC testing.  The 4" set had significantly lower capacitance than most other set of cables I tested.
All your volts are belong to me

Offline martinr33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 04:20:19 am »
That cable has large brass connectors, which could deliver thermal offsets. I've never found copper double bananas.

To CalMachine's point, it has characteristics good for AC. 

DH Audio has some decent copper/gold spades (they have a thin layer of nickel under the copper, but I don't think that is so bad).

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 04:27:11 am »
That cable has large brass connectors, which could deliver thermal offsets. I've never found copper double bananas.

To CalMachine's point, it has characteristics good for AC. 

DH Audio has some decent copper/gold spades (they have a thin layer of nickel under the copper, but I don't think that is so bad).

Problem is on my Advantest I got only banana  :palm:
I'm looking for the best compromise.

eurofox

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 05:08:37 am »
If you want low EMF with banana plugs, look at the link I posted above.  He is in your neck of the woods too.

Offline martinr33

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:14:43 am »
Copper bananas (these really are copper, with gold over silver plating):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4P-Viborg-VB401G-Pure-Red-Copper-5U-gold-plated-Banana-Connector-Terminal-Plug/253112114600?hash=item3aeea85da8:g:QggAAOSwxvBZnkXw

Gold over copper. These have to be soldered. Keep the wire close (in contact) with the connector and you should be OK. These are very low mass, and quite inexpensive.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dyson-Audio-24k-Beryllium-Copper-Low-Mass-BFA-Z-plug-Bananas-8-pack/112250971825?epid=851403366&hash=item1a22ade6b1:g:dU0AAOSw-kdXzOrk

You can find some nice shielded twisted pair on eBay. Or, RG58. Solid core crimps better.

It is easy to break the plastic around the jacks, so make your cable so that the plugs sit parallel.

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 08:46:27 am »
For high precision measurements I only recommend 4W+S PTFE cables with gold plated pure copper banana plugs.
However we also have these Pomona cables in our lab and despite they are PVC tagged - we do not encounter low thermal emf issues if we are measuring on the 10V range.
We also have never observed voltage dips - touching these cables with human hand - during measurements - on poor PVC cables you would see such phenomena.
After a 2 year period of use - one of the cables shows little cracks (fissure) where the cable jacket touches the banana ends.
Also a nickel (brass) alloy is not the best material of choice (thermal noise) - probably Pomona did this to keep cost acceptable.

Best regards
Fred Flinstone

Thanks Flinstone for taking the time to comment on those Pomona cables  :-+

eurofox

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 09:43:28 am »
If you want low EMF with banana plugs, look at the link I posted above.  He is in your neck of the woods too.
Absolutely right. That's one of the best offer both in quality and price. And yes, not so far away.
ap is forum member too. I would go with this.  :-+

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 10:51:35 am »

AP is certainly a recommended source as he bites you almost in your back as a matter of talking - have a look in 3458A section on FLEBAY (PTFE 3458A).
However pay attention to the shape of the banana plugs - avoid sharp tips - they will damage the binding posts of your metrology DMM.
Both companies - MC (Staubli) and Pomona (Danaher/Fluke) offer loose banana plugs with a rounded tip ... otherwise your binding posts will get worn and binding posts are expensive exercise to become replaced on an Advantest/ADCMT 6581 unit.

cheers
Fred Flinstone

When I got my 6581 already one of the binding post was already not in a good shape, the plastic ring that guide the banana plug was cracked, and it crack more ....
I have 2 options, change with one of the back from the instrument that I don't use (I could use the guard binding post) or replace all of them but it is not just unscrew and replace, need to use an aluminium plate with spacers ....
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:55:14 am by eurofox »
eurofox

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:56:14 am »

I would like to buy the "Test Leads 60" DOUBLE BAN SHLD BALANCED LINE" from Pomona
eurofox
I have a few of these cables and like them.
But PTFE insulated cables and hollow banana plugs are much better
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2018, 11:07:38 am »
- avoid sharp tips -

Yes, that's right. I've already got some of those, and run the very first time in that trap. Actually you just have to look carefully, how to plug them, to do it without issues. In an environment with different users, I wouldn't want to use them too. ;)

• Supporter
    • Music
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 06:06:52 pm »
Absolutely right. That's one of the best offer both in quality and price. And yes, not so far away.
ap is forum member too. I would go with this.  :-+

I'm already in touch with him form calibration of instruments.
eurofox

The following users thanked this post: kj7e, hwj-d

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf