Author Topic: I would love to see hobbyists apply for this job...  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Moon WinxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I would love to see hobbyists apply for this job...
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:58:01 am »
https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/484608500

The wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm I see here makes me think some of you would make an excellent candidate for this position. If you put in for it, send me a PM. I don't have any authority in the hiring process but maybe I can put in a good word.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: I would love to see hobbyists apply for this job...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 02:03:53 am »
There are so many hoops to jump through to qualify for that job, I would be amazed if even one person in the whole of the USA can qualify  :)

(OK, probably a few more than one, but there's a really limited field of candidates.)

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 02:28:10 am »
I'm not eligible.
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 02:33:51 am »
Why do you think a hobbiest would be suitable for the job? nothing at all in the job description makes me think that.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 02:34:06 am »
I love military gear and used to think that working on ships or other stuff would be cool, so I took an electronics job at Garden Island naval base in Sydney. Turned out it was as boring as bat poo  :=\
Contractors that I later ended up working for (GEC, Sercel, Thales) that were more removed from the actual military establishments, were far less boring.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 02:43:10 am »
Contractors that I later ended up working for (... Thales) ...

Which I recently learned is pronounced "tah-liss" (not "thales"). Just a little nugget to hide away in the back of the mind until needed...

Offline Moon WinxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 03:14:20 am »
This lab is one of the few places in gov't that has zero contractor positions. In other words, it is completely hands-on and they give you a lot of freedom and resources to pursue projects that will benefit the lab's mission. It's not a contract management position.

I really wish they would open it up to all US citizens, but that's really rare. I was just posting this just in case someone here may qualify and be interested. We've hired engineers before that had zero interest in metrology, and never really developed one, so to me it's a good idea to poll a group that loves this shit for the off-chance we can find someone talented in analog electronics design and would love pushing the boundaries in metrology.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 03:18:49 am »
I really wish they would open it up to all US citizens

The fact that they restrict the applicant pool is good for the world at large since they are less likely to hire the best people, which sets the USA back in terms of its military advantage against other nations. It's all good  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf