Author Topic: Ian Johnston PDVS2  (Read 23735 times)

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
Re: Ian Johnston PDVS2
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2017, 11:40:00 am »
Thinking about this......I think I'll design a separate device, a Precision Digital Current Source.......fully featured from uA to 100mA and include full 4-20mA source/sink functionality.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: kj7e

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2017, 01:49:23 pm »
You can always implement it as an add on module/unit.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2017, 09:10:51 pm »
Hi all,

Couldn't resist testing out the 0 to 2mA source circuit.
I'm using my own PVDS2 to drive the V to I conversion circuit on the breadboard and with the 34461A displaying the output.
10V on PDVS2 converts to 1mA for the purposes of this test.
I also hooked up Dave's uCurrent (1mV/uA) for kicks also and am measuring it's output on my cheap VA38 (questionable cal!).

For a breadboard precision circuit it's quite stable, +/- 0.2uA

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

The following users thanked this post: Muxr, kj7e, alex-sh

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2017, 12:48:13 pm »
As you work on the new one and as you do an upgrade on the existing one you may wish to have a look at the spec data. Some information might be described a little clearer.
E.g., 0.001% accuracy: this is ususally split into offset and gain and also there is an aging attached to it (not yet established, understand, but...). You will probably not specify 0.001% absolute accuracy (10ppm) of output at any voltage and after say e.g. 10 months. my guess is your voltage standard inaccuracy is maybe already half of it, so not that much left over by the device itself.
Temperature range... I would think, actually, CE had demanded a temp range definition anyhow, so maybe just a miss in transferring this into the manual.
Will help you avoid to not meet expectations you never wanted to meet anyway. And facilitates its use.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 02:47:38 pm by ap »
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

The following users thanked this post: IanJ

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »
Hi Ian,

I wonder if you did manage to finish implementing current source into your PDVS2???

Thanks
Alex

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2018, 11:00:50 am »
Hi Ian,

I wonder if you did manage to finish implementing current source into your PDVS2???

Thanks
Alex

I did modify one of my PDVS2's to include a 0-2mA current output (keeping the 2v/10v modes), 4 DP's and it works pretty good and can drive a good range of loads. Ever so slightly noisy on that last digit but that's just my prototyping.

No plans to take this into production though, I'd prefer 0-20mA or something like that to make it worth the extra cost...….but it was a fine test.

Pic attached is my one and only prototype........connected up to some cheap arse DMM I just bought and was testing..... ;)

Ian.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2018, 02:36:15 pm »
Pic attached is my one and only prototype........connected up to some cheap arse DMM I just bought and was testing..... ;)

That meter looks dodgy-as!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:48 pm »
No plans to take this into production though, I'd prefer 0-20mA or something like that to make it worth the extra cost...….but it was a fine test.

I think it would at least need to cover the two shunt ranges, mA and uA.
So maybe 0-200uA and 0-20mA to make it really worthwhile?

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2018, 10:00:00 pm »
Where did you get that multimeter? I bet eBay is selling thousands of those :)

Ian.

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:18 pm »

I think it would at least need to cover the two shunt ranges, mA and uA.
So maybe 0-200uA and 0-20mA to make it really worthwhile?

I think Dave has got a point here. Personally, I'd be more interested in 0-200uA, but this would have to have to upper scale too

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2018, 10:03:51 pm »
Where did you get that multimeter?

Found it in a dumpster (as mr. Jones would say).......ahem!

Ian.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2018, 11:10:12 pm »

That meter looks dodgy-as!
Hmm, with my poor aussi-inglish, for the very first moment i had read "doggy-ass" ...  :-DD

Offline alex-sh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2018, 09:06:56 pm »
Ian,

I just wonder if you do not see a market for such devices or what's the reason you put development on hold?

Thanks
Alex

Offline niner_007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2018, 09:39:09 am »
Hello

all LM399 are sensitive to orientation (some more and some less).
Hi, would it make sense to use silastic to keep the LM399 plastic enclosure from moving (and on the PCB)?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:41:16 am by niner_007 »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2018, 10:58:27 am »
Hello

all LM399 are sensitive to orientation (some more and some less).
Hi, would it make sense to use silastic to keep the LM399 plastic enclosure from moving (and on the PCB)?

Andreas didn't mean that LM399 is sensitive to vibration or pin or case stress.
In testing it was shown that if you take whole device that has LM399 inside (like multi-meter or reference) and put on one side, on the other side or upside down, in each stationary position it will give a slightly different output voltage, on PPM level order of magnitude of difference.
It probably has to do with slight difference in thermal flow of LM399 in different orientation......
Metallic case of LM399 is not sensitive to device pin stress...

The following users thanked this post: niner_007

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf