Author Topic: Is it worthwhile to get an accredited cal on a 34401A before selling it on eBay?  (Read 3541 times)

Offline KJ-90Topic starter

• Contributor
I've always wondered if it's a good idea to have expensive 6.5 digit multi meters like my 34401A get an accredited calibration before selling it on eBay. My unit has a cal count of 86 ( no joke ) and was made in November 2000. However, the meter is from an estate, and the calibration history isn't known. Also, the meter has no cal seals or labels on it. Would getting an accredited calibration
( e.g. lab is under NVLAP, ISO17025 ) increase its resale value?

Offline jolshefsky

• Regular Contributor
    • Jason DoesItAll
I guess what does the research say? That is, look at other >5 digit meters and see if you can find a correlation between having a recent calibration and selling for a higher price.

My gut instinct and anecdotal experience (~20 sales) on eBay is that any time, money, or effort you put forth to increase the value of an item will not be recovered in the final sale price. Also, note that some specialty items have exactly one bidder—only one person is interested for the duration of the auction. There are two responses to this: broaden the set of possible buyers (e.g. an uncalibrated meter would be interesting to both a tinkerer and one looking for a bargain high-accuracy meter) or set the initial price to a value that is a reasonable selling price so that the expected sole bidder pays that amount.
May your deeds return to you tenfold.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
I'd say no for a 34401A. A higher end meter might be different. If you can verify it operates fine I'd list it here instead. Offer for a little lower then on ebay and not have to pay the ebay 10%.
VE7FM

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
That's been my experience as well, though I haven't tried selling any gear that high end.

Best thing to do is clean it up cosmetically and take lots of pictures showing it working to demonstrate that it is at least functional. I've found that good quality gear generally remains pretty well calibrated even after years. Free shipping seems to help too, for whatever reason a lot of people will buy something with free shipping over an identical item with a shipping charge even if the total cost is less with the shipping. Psychological barrier I guess.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
In the USA, there is a service that will do the Cal+Adjust on a 34401A for $75 (including shipping back to you). Not sure if you have something similar/better in Canada.

http://4gte.com/calibration-and-repair/

Even at this price, it is questionable on if it is worth it. At most it is a break even kinda thing.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
The amount you might get extra from a calibration certificate will be insignificant. Probably the calibration will cost you more than you gain. Make sure to show the meter in good working condition in many settings, that will gain you higher profit.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Not worth it. Most buyers won't really care, the ones that do would probably rather pay to get it done themselves, or may have other cal'd gear they can compare with.

However if you are selling because you just bought something new, it might be worth checking against the new instrument and mentioning this in the ad.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline elecman14

• Supporter
You can view the prices sold for on ebay in previous auctions by clicking on the sold listings check box on the left hand side. A quick search for "34401A calibrated" with that checked should show how the meter has sold in the past. Looks like they are selling for $350 to around $425 calibrated and around the same price maybe a little less without cal. 

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
Usually - on eBay - what works for me is to reduce doubts that anything I sell is fine. The concerns for an intelligent buyer of a HP34401A would be:

1. Passes all tests.
2. Fairly accurate in most ranges and functions (so no specific areas of the circuit are busted).
3. Display is not dim (as someone stated - take a picture under full light conditions - VFD shot in the dark usually are a concern that the seller is hiding a dim display).
4. If you can show stability - as in a long term plot - even better.
5. Handle and Bail/bumper condition.
6. If you have manuals, or the top book/lead storage pack - show them. Boxes and packing materials and original delivery slips also - that more of this you have demonstrates the fastidious and caring nature of the owner.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
Accredited cal is not worth it (e.g. UKAS or whatever your region is)

As buyer I'd only trust a Keysight cal (for a Keysight instrument) since it's a pretty good indication that the device is in good shape and Keysight typically tests everything all the time (also features present but not enabled).

Any other renown company's cal certificate is OK too in terms of 'I'd like to know that it is in spec' e.g. Exova or R&S or Tektronix calibration.

Any other cal found in eBay I wouldn't  necessarily trust, you can buy stickers and fake a printed page that claims in spec.

As to spending money on a cal to sell it on eBay, expensive gear yeah I think I'd do it. But you're likely to pay as much as the instrument sells for in your case.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:49:01 am by Neganur »

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
Any other renown company's cal certificate is OK too in terms of 'I'd like to know that it is in spec' e.g. Exova or R&S or Tektronix calibration.

Unfortunately, OEM and other reputable companies will still give partially disingenious certs.
All your volts are belong to me

Offline Galaxyrise

• Frequent Contributor
There is a difference to me between "pulled from a working environment", "powers on, unable to test further", and "Look at me making measurements with it".  But that's as far as it goes. 
I am but an egg

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Yes, "pulled from a working environment" has to be one of the great examples of sales/marketing double-talk.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf