Author Topic: Keithley 2002  (Read 3407 times)

Offline branadicTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
Keithley 2002
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:57:49 pm »
Time to have a separate thread on Keithley 2002. No repair stories here but a place to share knowledge.

My first question is, does someone know or have a non LabView but Microsoft Windows based pc software to capture data, with full control of the device settings such as range, mode, resolution, speed and filter usind GPIB-USB adapter?

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Keithley 2002
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:25:14 pm »
Use Python

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:18:38 pm »
Use Python

I'm not asking what programming language to use, but if someone already has a ready to use pc software for the unit. By the way, I don't like python, I prefer C, C# or an Octave/Matlab script instead writing some programming prosa like python. ;)

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:39:10 pm »
Ok, I thought you are searching for a free LabView alternative. In this case Python is great I think. Many things you have to buy for LabView and Matlab are already there and for free. Ocatave is also nice, but much more limited in interfaces (like IP Sockets and so on). And I don't like programming Matlab ;).

C is great for real software or something on a microcontroller. BUT, if you want to setup a QUICK measurement, than LabView is great, followed by Python (just my opinion).

What kind of ready software are you searching? Only setting up the meter and put the results in a file? In most cases there is more to do, to setup a real measurement. Controlling calibrators/sources, take measurements from multiple meters and so on. Therefore, I think there is no real way around a programming language. You can use BenchVue, but that isn't much easier to setup than clicking something together with LabView.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:58:06 pm »
By "ready to use", do you mean GUI software? I think e61_phil was getting at the fact that there are Python packages that will allow you to easily script up what you want to accomplish.

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 09:17:21 pm »
If you really want "full control" you need the opportunity to send your own SCPI commands. At this point there isn't much left to write your own small script instead of using a "ready" software.

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 09:54:33 pm »
Yes I mean with a GUI, but that doesn't mean live view of data or trend diagrams. A program that is just able to configure the unit and save data into a file. I've hoped that someone already done that, otherwise I have to write some own script with all the functionallity in GNU Octave/Matlab. Communicating over a serial interface is no problem, done that already for my Prema 5017. However, it would be great to save some time and I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in such thing.
BTW: The script can be expanded to an executable with GUI in Matlab, but as already mentioned that needs time too. Done that, so also a possible way. But why to invent the wheel twice if there is already someone out there willing to share his software?

-branadic-

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:58:14 pm »
This discussion already takes much longer than hacking something together in Python which will do this job. I wouldn't expect more than 10 lines of code.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 10:00:34 pm by e61_phil »

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:23 am »
Take a look here..

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/easiest-way-to-log-dmm-data-over-gpib/msg1150861/#msg1150861

also you can use PyVisa with VISA layer on windows..

take a look at TiN's guide , search for "Interfacing thru VISA with Python and PyVISA" on the following page

https://xdevs.com/guide/agilent_gpib_rpi/#pybind

I ended up using RPi for logging. It took me a whole afternoon to make it work ( sorting out versions of all the libraries, installs and such in linux is time consuming ) but now I have headless, low power fanless data collection device, I mapped it into network via Samba. I let it collect data, and every now and then I connect to it over network, pull data to my windows PC and analyze there.. It works with LAN, GPIB (Keysight USB), and serial (USB-serial converter..)..

I edit scripts on Windows PC since folder is shared over network..

If you need more help, holler...

Regards,

Sinisa

Offline plesa

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 05:24:50 pm »
Check this thread where is complete RPi setup including Python and drawing charts on webpage by D3js and C3js.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/raspberry-pi23-logging-platform-for-voltnuts/new/?topicseen#new

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 05:49:28 pm »
Thanks, but Rpi is not Windows PC and Python script is not PC software. However, a colleague of mine is already setting up a software right now.

-branadic-
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 09:54:58 am by branadic »

Offline nikonoid

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 02:48:48 am »
I am just doing this in Visual Studio to run in Windows environment. I have just started and only have bits and pieces that work but look ugly. The goal is to have a nice sample code that can be compiled in free version of Visual Studio, so other people can follow and modify the script.

If someone has existing code, like this, please let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf