Author Topic: Long-term stability of temperature sensors  (Read 12559 times)

Offline cellularmitosisTopic starter

• Supporter
Long-term stability of temperature sensors
« on: December 23, 2017, 06:51:52 am »
I can't seem to find good information on how to rank temperature sensor types by long-term stability.

What good is a volt-nut if he can't tell if 23.17C from three years ago is still 23.17C today?  :P

This comment from splin seems to be the best info we have on the forum so far: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/temperature-test-box-for-component-characterization/msg617199/#msg617199

Naturally sensors with proper drift specifications aren't very common. Whilst Platinum RTDs can be excellent,  common low cost ones aren't especially good (or don't specify the drift) whilst lab grade ones are very expensive and difficult to use accurately.

They aren't easy to find, or cheap ($40+), but the best I've found is the YSI (now owned by Measurment Specialities) 46000 "Super stable" series with a claimed typical thermometric drift < 10mK over 100 months (Tamb = 25C or 70C). They also are available with interchangeablity tolerances down to 50mK ($180!). The 45000 series are cheaper but are specificed as < 50mK drift over 10 months (Tamb = 100C).

More easily obtainable are US Sensor PR series, also interchangeable to .05K; however, whilst they spout a lot of hype about their high stability, they don't actually specify it anywhere that I can find. They probably are excellent but it would be an act of faith to rely on it.

Much cheaper are NXP KTY82 and KTY83 diode based sensors. The latter are specified at 1 ohm drift over 10,000 hours (Tamb =175C), equivalent to 128mK at 25C. The drift should be way less when used at < 70C, but who knows exactly how much?

The particular application I had in mind was mounting a temperature sensor on-board a voltage reference, so that the voltage and temperature data would be useful over long-term comparisons.

My assumption was that the long-term stability quality ordering went something like this (best to worst):

• Platinum RTD
  • Thermistor in glass DO35
  • Thermistor in epoxy bead

Also, practically, for this application I probably only need about 3.5 digits of long-term stable temperature comparison, so maybe that eases the requirements?

Thoughts?
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
Re: Long-term stability of temperature sensors
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 06:59:33 am »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:03:06 am »
It is not that simple. 
What splin wrote is really good info. Let's read it again.

You say simple 3.5 digits..  that's not that easy if last digit has to be stable for 3-5 years without calibration...

for instance:  23.55°C. that is 23°C and 550 °mK.. you want last digit to be stable, that means at least 4 times better specs , so you would need 10-12 °mK 3 years stability.
And now read what splin wrote.  Platinum RTD sensors that can do that are available but expensive.

But that is not whole story. You need to have that stability for a complete measurement system.  Not only sensor. And have that guaranteed as a whole to be within the specs..

Also, it is not how it's done. Logic is the same as with voltage or every other reference... You need to have 3-4 thermometers, and observe them as a group. 10 would be even better...
You watch them for a long time, characterize them and you build confidence in your temperature measurement. Calibrate them in groups as you go, keeping records all the time...

And then, there is the question: do you really need that stability...   
Realistically 0.1 °C absolute is more than enough to be in same standards as Fluke or Keysight labs as far as room temp goes.  If you ever look at temp gradients at your desk for sensors few centimeters away, you will start to realize temperature is very elusive thing to measure..

I presume you would want to temperature characterize something over long term.
Tempco characterization is a relative measurement, that needs to be only stable enough over time interval that is longer than time constant of DUT..  few seconds, hours,  days...

In amateur (and small business ) environment, for environment monitoring in a longterm, I think best thing to do would be to have a group (cluster) of Sensirion SHT35 that actually have long term drift specified. They have good resolution, you get good and also long term specified drift RH measurements too...
They are factory tested and calibrated and have guaranteed specs.. And they are the whole temp/RH measurement solution: from sensor, signal conditioning to precision A/D converter..
SHT35 are guaranteed to have 0,03°C /year maximum drift. With a group of sensor and good practice, much better than that..
It is most economic way to get those specs.. It would be challenging to do it from discrete components by yourself.

Anything else would be unrealistic, unless you want to spend more money on temperature than voltage...

In which case you just contracted tempnut disease, and all bets are off...  :-DD

Regards,

Sinisa

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW, zhtoor

Offline MK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 10:38:25 am »
Platinum wire is prone to vibration lattice slip and so needs frequent recalibration, thin film platinum is not as stable either.

Online Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 11:13:44 am »
Hello,

the question is: what temperature do you want to measure? (Air, PCB or stirring oil bath?)
And do you really think you can measure (air / PCB) temperatures better than 0.3K at home with simple sensors?

I have here a set of calibrated resistors with I2C connection where you can see the difficulties to measure temperatures.
Although all sensors are within 3-4 cm every sensor shows a different temperature. 0.8 deg C span for calibrated sensors.

Ok each one is on a separate PCB with different placement of the I2C pull up resistors and level shifters.
And I already have removed one LED to reduce self heating on the pressure sensor.

Temperature gets more equal (within 0.2 deg C) when I switch on a FAN to equalize the self heating.
What you can also see is when the door is opened and warm air enters the room

Depending on sensor the "noise" due to air movement is up to 0.1 or sligthly more deg C.
If you put the PCB into a card box and cover all sensors with cloth the noise significantly gets lower.
(middle part of the 2nd diagram)

By the way: the Guildline Weston Cells (9152) used a termistor to keep the oven with a long term stability of 0.01 K.

with best regards

Andreas

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 11:42:05 am »
Well, it's not almost impossible, but sure not with cheap ready to use sensors like SHT21, SHT25, TMP112 or MS5611.
I do have a temperature measurement system, that consist of two sensor heads, each with two PT100 temperature sensors inside. The complete system is calibrated to within 0,02K over the entire temperature range of -40° ... +150°C, including analog to digital conversion (LTC2440) and linearization function implemented inside the microcontroller. They did a six point calibration to ensure, that the system meets its spec. Including calibration you have to invest a thousand bucks. Can't say anything about longterm stability yet, but I'm sure I will get a picture within the next years.
As mentioned you have do differ between PT100 in thin film technology and PT100 with platinum wire, but also the used materials for assembling them. It's not straight forward and many thoughts have to be taken into account, to meet specs at the end.

I've started building my own temperature measurement system, based on PT1000 elements and a PCap01 that measures discharge time by using a high quality cap forming up a RC circuit with very low charges flowing thru both elements and thus, almost no self-heating, which is another important factor. At least it needs calibration, whick can be implemented inside the PCap itself. I will calibrate it against the commercial temperature measurement system.

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: mycroft, 2N3055, zhtoor

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 03:45:04 pm »
Well, first you build the triple point cell from the old Scientific American article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tackling-the-triple-point/
That's probably the easiest way for impoverished volt-nutter to get a reliable calibration point.

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis, RoGeorge, Henrik_V, zhtoor, Marco1971

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 04:22:03 pm »
To check for possible drift of the sensor it might be a good idea to have 2 different sensors (e.g. PT, NTC, Diode). If the sensors drift apart one would be at least warned about drift and could have an idea in the order of magnitude.

Inside a reference with relatively low TC, the stability of the temperature measurement is not that critical. The corrections due to normal temperature variations are usually small against the long term drift of the reference.  So essentially any temperature sensor, from the cheapest plastic encapsulated transistor, NTC or PTC should be good enough.

@brandic:
 I don't think the capacitor and time to digital way of measuring an RTD is a good idea for a precision application. It will also include the resistance of switches and is thus more prone to drift than other systems. The more usual way is a bridge circuit - for high resolution with low self heating an AC bridge with a transformer for the reference arm is a good idea.

The following users thanked this post: CatalinaWOW

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 04:35:52 pm »
@brandic:
 I don't think the capacitor and time to digital way of measuring an RTD is a good idea for a precision application. It will also include the resistance of switches and is thus more prone to drift than other systems. The more usual way is a bridge circuit - for high resolution with low self heating an AC bridge with a transformer for the reference arm is a good idea.

This shows, that you have never tried that approach. At least it all depends on the accuracy you're aiming for. But, in any case you will always make a comparison measurement between 2x PT1000 and a low TC 1k resistor. Thus, the effects you are calling for can be eleminated. The results are pretty good ;)

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

Online Alex Nikitin

• Super Contributor
  • Femtoampnut and Tapehead.
    • A.N.T. Audio
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 06:48:56 pm »
LM35 is specified at 0.08K/1000h typical drift at Tj=Tmax, and available in a metal can - that is what I usually use.

Cheers

Alex

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 07:10:58 pm »
@Alex Nikitin
SHT35 are guaranteed to have 0,03°C /year maximum drift. And that's for whole temperature measurement chain, direct to digital..
It is most practical way to get decent results for environment monitoring.

Of course, he didn't specify what is the target use...

If sensor should go inside Vref case,  or be attached to something, then other sensors might be used, like platinum, thermistor, LM35...

OP  should clarify purpose..

Regards,

Sinisa

Online Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 07:47:33 pm »
Hello,

another example of measurement "problems" of temperatures
during my "tilting" experiment of LTZ1000.

Depending on orientation of PCB (NTC versus LTZ1) in all 6 possible orientations of the housing
I get up to 0.3 K difference between orientations for the NTC sitting 2 cm away from LTZ1000.
And that with good thermal shielding of the LTZ and the PCB in that area and a inner metal housing.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline zhtoor

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 09:13:27 pm »
or maybe winding a square coil of enamelled copper wire and using two such coils to enclose
the thermal volume and using the "natural" tcr of copper to read the temperature could be
used just like Cu50 sensors (like pt100/1000's). only the construction would be a lot *cheaper*.

ie; the thermal sensor encloses the *whole* thermal volume / oven.

regards.

-zia

Online Andreas

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 09:20:31 pm »
Hello,

in my measurements long term stability is not the problem. (measurement duration is below one day).
And also absolute accuracy plays no role as long as the changes of temperature are exact.

in my case a bulky (PT25 in glass or even below for highest stability) sensor
makes more problems reading the temperature of the resistor.
In my case the better solution is to keep the wires of the sensor and the wires of the resistor in good thermal contact.

with best regards

Andreas

Offline khs

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 10:03:22 pm »
The question is what could be the reason for the drift of the low cost pt1000.

I see three main reasons.
1) Mechanical stress.
2) Change of the conductibility of platinum.
3) Change of the conductibility of the 'coating'.

My guess the main reason is mechanical stress, so the change is the value of the resistance only, not the temperature dependence of the platinum.

With other words it's not longer a PT1000 it's maybe a PT 1001.5 or
a PT 998.4

In this case it would be easy to recalibrate the "pt1000" with a triple cell.

The following users thanked this post: splin

Offline branadic

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:32 pm »
As far as I know it's not pure platinum when talking about thin film RTDs.

-branadic-

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 10:39:29 pm »
Many mechanisms..
- Morphological changes in film because of mechanical stresses (both thermal and vibrations)
- Agglomeration (well, basically lumping of the surface)  because of ceramic substrate surface imperfections... 
- Recrystallization of platinum in film (sputtering creates non structured platinum film)
- Changes in terminal attach

Thin film ones are usually made with sputtering process.. It can be pure platinum. After forming the layer comes the photolithography to form shape and  it is usually laser trimmed for precise ones..
Usually a passivation layer (coating ) is used.

Mostly mechanical/thermomechanical shocks are important, other ones happen mostly at higher temperatures..
Depends also on design, manufacturers technology and manufacturing process.

Keeping it on a room temp in nonaggressive atmosphere, with no temp or mechanical shocks would make it pretty much very stable...
Not as good as wire or foil type, but at least better than max spec.

But, as I said, you need to take into account stability of measurement system that you connect sensor to... That might prove to be more challenging...

Regards,
Sinisa

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 12:39:57 am »
PT1000 or PT100's for stability and better long term drift in the higher grades. Never T/C's but they have their place too. Two point calibration (ice and boiling point with ambient pressure correction if needed) to a reasonable level of certainty once a year or even every second year for good quality RTD's is fine for under .1 degree. A lot of the all in one IC's and the like I have my doubts about their long term abilities and the only real way to calibrate them is some form of dry well.

I am setting up one of my 34970's to do some testing of various temperature sensors, RTD's and T/C's. but still a work in progress.

Some good information here and also the Omega site in general https://www.omega.com/temperature/pdf/rtd_gen_specs_ref.pdf
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline ap

• Frequent Contributor
    • ab-precision
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 11:25:31 am »
The 46000 series in fact would be a very precise and stable sensor. Glass bead sensors, since they are hermetic, are in general, at least at moderate temperatures. It would be nice if it was possible to use the 46000 or 44000or similar thermistors with the 3458A, supporting 5k and 10k thermistors (40653B and C), however I have nowhere seen data specifiying their electrical properties and the parameters (and in the end accuracy) used within the MATH function section of the 3458A. So it kind of looks as if KS had not intended thermistors for precise temperature measurements together with the 3458A.
If anybody has any related data, would be nice to discuss them here.
Metrology and test gear and other stuff: www.ab-precision.com

Offline Henrik_V

• Regular Contributor
  • “ground” is a convenient fantasy
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 11:42:14 am »
Well, first you build the triple point cell from the old Scientific American article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/tackling-the-triple-point/
That's probably the easiest way for impoverished volt-nutter to get a reliable calibration point.

That is the way to go!
(Unless you know someone, who ...)
Greetings from Germany
Henrik

The number you have dialed is imaginary, please turn your phone 90° and dial again!

Offline mycroft

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:28 pm »
This maybe of interest Investigation of Long-Term Drift of NTC Temperature Sensors with less than 1 mK Uncertainty http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7281460/]
 [url]http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7281460/
[/url]

The following users thanked this post: cellularmitosis

Offline mycroft

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 01:47:17 am »
This maybe of interest Investigation of Long-Term Drift of NTC Temperature Sensors with less than 1 mK Uncertainty
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7281460

how does 1 include (or mitigate?) uncertainty of the self heating?
i could gather from the datasheet, the voltage bias needs to be very low, could it be some kind of whetstone/bridge setup and not a simple divider?
(just running some numbers in a spreadsheet, with 1 v biasing, the self heating could be around 0.04mW. which is likely a few mK of offset?)

An easy way is pulsed excitation. With a low duty cycle you can even over-excite the sensor to obtain a better reading or SNR, as is done with strain gauges.

Offline Pipelie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 03:05:47 am »
I have some experiment with SPRT,  got some data to share.
attached

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2017, 03:53:06 am »
I can't seem to find good information on how to rank temperature sensor types by long-term stability.

What good is a volt-nut if he can't tell if 23.17C from three years ago is still 23.17C today?  :P

This comment from splin seems to be the best info we have on the forum so far: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/temperature-test-box-for-component-characterization/msg617199/#msg617199

My assumption was that the long-term stability quality ordering went something like this (best to worst):

• Platinum RTD
  • Thermistor in glass DO35
  • Thermistor in epoxy bead

Also, practically, for this application I probably only need about 3.5 digits of long-term stable temperature comparison, so maybe that eases the requirements?

Thoughts?

You've clearly run into the same issue as I did, viz the almost complete lack of long term stability specifications in temperature sensor datasheets - but not much worse than resistor specifications whose stability specs are almost useless - if indeed there are any at all.

[Rant mode] (bypass unless you are particularly bored)
As you might have guessed, this is one of my pet peeves - stability is one of the most important specs for sensors (and resistors). Great - but who wants a .001% accurate part that might drift outside that tolerance within a few weeks and become a .1% part within a year? I am heartily sick of datasheets which tout 'excellent', 'outstanding',  or 'very good' long term stability but give zero information or even hints as to what that means. A Murata thermistor datasheet states:

"1. Excellent solderability and high stability in the
    application's environment
2. Excellent long-term stability"

It hardly matters to me that I can't parse that to make any sensible differentiation between the two because they aren't quantified and thus are totally meaningless. Maybe it's a translation issue or an industry convention of which I'm unaware but I'm guessing it's just marketing BS (with some element of truth).

It's as if the industry expects its customers either to have a good understanding of the stability characteristics of the various types of devices (through experience) or be prepared to evaluate and characterise any parts they may consider using themselves. Why the hell should you have to spend countless hours and dollars doing this when the manufacturers already have this data? Obviously the big customers will get that information and quite likely will insist on doing their own testing and qualification anyway, but that leaves an awful lot of small to medium companies wasting a great deal of money doing mostly unnecessary evaluation work.

No doubt many don't bother and the (vast?) majority get away with it because in fact the devices actually are very stable on the whole providing they operate in relatively benign environments For example, the abstract of the paper linked by mycroft cites a jellybean $0.15 NTC -

The results show that the SMD type sensor from Murata manufacturing (NCP15XH103D03RC), intriguingly, is the most stable sensor among the sensors tested with a drift rate of 0.492 mK/year peak-to-peak.

Anybody expect that oustanding result? Anyone got access to the paper to see if it was a single sample or in unrealistic or highly specific operating conditions?

To be fair to the manufacturers it is impossible to fully specify drift rates as they are very much a function of operating conditions including high temperatures and thermal shocks, but that doesn't excuse providing absolutely no data - whether in application notes or white papers if not in the datasheets themselves.
[/Rant mode]

Back to the original question. Stability is not an end in itself, it mainly determines the frequency of calibrations. So there are several options:

1) Have your equipment calibrated professionally. Whilst appropriate for some this is very expensive and clearly hard to justify for enthusiasts for reducing their measurment uncertainties by a relatively small amount.

2) Do your own calibration. Lars suggested using the TWP but I think that is also unnecessarily difficult and expensive. Using the ice point should be more than adequate. Take a look at this which suggests that an ice bath can get you within 3 or 4 mK of the TPW (method 3):

http://www.burnsengineering.com/local/uploads/files/Approximating_the_TPW_Presentation.pdf

You should also take a look at this website which has some very good information on DIY calibration using the ice point an the melting point of Gallium (actually quite inexpensive):

http://www.kandrsmith.org/RJS/Misc/Thermometers/absolute_ds18b20.html and
http://www.kandrsmith.org/RJS/Misc/Hygrometers/absolutetemperature.html

Single point calibration of NTCs raises the question of exactly how they drift - if the shape of the transfer curve drifts then it wouldn't be sufficient. Fortunately though it sems that NTC drift is typically thermometric - ie. the temperature change is constant, or an offset across the range. This was from a paper found on the Measurement Specialities website, but having been taken over by TE I can't find  an online copy. I have thus attached a copy I made earlier. (And why I always try to take copies of anything I find interesting).

The implication of the above is that a single point calibration should be enough to restore the calibration across the whole range.

3) Purchasing sensors with sufficient accuracy. This is where it gets difficult and the drift specs become relevant given that high precision sensors are relatively expensive. The US Sensor PR series NTCs are attractive costing $7 to $10 with a +/- 50mK tolerance between 0 and 50C. They are claimed to be highly stable but that isn't quantified. However I found this:

http://www.ussensor.com/accelerated-life-testing

Which states:

Thermal Shock 200 cycles-Thermistors are subject to one half hour at 80°C and within ten seconds transition, are subject to one half hour at -40°C. This test is typically followed by the 100,000 cycle Thermal Shock Test.

Thermal Shock 100,000 cycles-This test consists of 45 seconds at 20°C and 45 seconds at -20°C. The transition between these temperatures is minimized to less than ten seconds creating a Maximum Transition State. At the completion of testing the thermistors must remain in tolerance.
(my bold)

This strongly implies that the 50mK tolerance PR series devices are expected to remain in tolerance after harsh testing as do other associated 'quality' pages. This may actually be a well understood industry convention, in which case much of my rant is misplaced, but I haven't seen it stated explicitly anywhere -  I'd love to see anything authoritive on this issue though.

As stated earlier, the YSI super stable 46000 series, glass encapsulated thermistors do specify (low) typical drifts and are available in 50mK tolerance but are expensive and not widely available. [Oops] Measurement specialities, who took over YSI, have now been acquired by TE Connectivity who appear to have obsoleted all except the 46004, 100mK part. And lost all the relevant white papers - assuming you can even navigate their infernal website  |O

4) Some combination of 2) and 3). The PR series thermistors are possibly inexpensive enough to allow you to purchase one or more periodically as references to recalibrate other, perhaps low cost parts - at least until you have sufficient history to be sure of the drift characteristics of your reference sensors. Of course that doesn't work if the supplier's turnover is so low that you don't get recently manufactured parts. (Don't buy from anyone who has them in stock? )

As I mentioned previously, the KTY8x series of silicon diode sensors are interesting. They need to be calibrated but they do claim to have low drift.  The glass encapsulated KTY83 (SOD68/DO-34)  and KTY85 (DO80/Mini MELF) parts have been obsoleted but there are some German sellors on ebay selling 30 for $7.5 inc postage. The plastic encapsulated KTY81 etc versions are still available but may suffer more from humidty/hysterisis. The drift is specified in this document along with the relevant Arrenius data:

http://www.elenota.pl/datasheet-pdf/138914/Philips/SC17?sid=8cae005bccd92bb89ead005554f44553

Once again this document seems to have been lost by NXP, robbing designers of valuable information. (I hate the loss of such data whether inadvertently as is probably the case here, or much worse, willfully).

From the above document a maximum drift of 250mK for a KTY85 after 10,000 hours @ 125C is shown and from the Arennius equation, 450,000 hours @62.5C. By my calculation that also equates to 5.7mK after 10,000 hours at 62.5C or .1mK/10,000h @ 20C. That would appear to be outstanding for long term, low temperature measurements which is presumably the OP's intent. Of course there's a caveat which is that the Arennius equation is only part of the drift story. This Siemens KTY document gives a bit more insight:

http://www.b-kainka.de/Daten/Sensor/gentemp.pdf

Page 5 shows the drift charatceristics at high temperature with a not surprising large change over the first 500h and relatively little thereafter, suggesting a burn in before calibration would be a good idea.

So where does this leave us? Those who deal with this stuff on a regular basis will undoubtably have a much better handle on what's really important and how realistic datasheets really are so hopefully some will enlighten us. Clearly long term drift of temperature sensors is a very small issue in the case of the LTZ1000 (transistor Vbe) and Fluke 734 (NTC) so drift, in reality may be a non-problem for this application for most sensors.

As to your question of types of sensor and order of preference:

a) PT100/PT1000 Probably a good choice for higher temperature measurements. But expensive and very hard (almost impossbile) to find any drift data for affordable (none lab grade secondary standard probes) when used at moderate temperatures. Low senstitivity doesn't help. I can't see any reason to choose these for extended temperatures below 50C and possibly even below 100C.

b) NTCs. For temperatures below 50C or so, they seem to be an excellent choice - high sensitiivity (10X PT100/PT1000) and capable of excellent stability, and can be very low cost.  Anyone know what is used in the Fluke 734?

c) Silicon sensors. The SHT35 looks like a reasonable choice but the initial accuracy of +/-300mK isn't good (compared to a +/-50mK NTC) and the drift @ 30mK/y, in unspecified conditions, isn't that impressive. In reality it may be a star performer but there is only so much you can conclude from a datasheet. It isn't particularly cheap either and needs to be mounted on a PCB which could be a serious limitation. The KTY sensors look very good and whilst not as sensitive as NTCs are still twice as good as PT100x types, thus reducing the performance requirements of the rest of the system. It's also possible that jellybean transistors, such as the 2N3904, may give equally stable results when measuring Vbe.

Overall, the allure of that potential 0.492 mK/year of the Murata NCP15XH103D03RC @ $0.5 (1 off) is hard to ignore. It's also hard to ignore that very many similar NTC parts, including the really common place types, may well have similar (drift) characteristics but simply haven't been evaluated in this way.

Enough. I'm sure there are lots of grammatical and technical errors in the above - my main excuse is that I'm just recovering from an unpleasant flu type infection, so please forgive any incoherency.

Merry Christmas all!

[EDIT] Turns out I can't attach the paper as it's too big  (1.7MByte v 1.2M limit). PM me if you want a copy.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 04:21:09 am by splin »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 04:24:59 am »
Excellent rant   :-+

As I kick back and digest Christmas Lunch with a beer in my hand time for a quiet read :)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf