Author Topic: MEMS based voltage references  (Read 1197 times)

Offline branadicTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Sounds like noise
MEMS based voltage references
« on: April 10, 2019, 07:38:38 pm »
Hi,

I read about "MEMS based voltage references" (you can google that)

MEMS based voltage references
MEMS-based AC voltage reference

I wonder if anyone have heard of that before and has experience with it? For DC they still seem to be of none interest for volt nuts, but for AC they seem to perform not that bad...

-branadic-
Computers exist to solve problems that we wouldn't have without them. AI exists to answer questions, we wouldn't ask without it.

The following users thanked this post: Vgkid

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: MEMS based voltage references
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:36:39 pm »
It is an odd idea and I don't see it really working that well.  I did some work with bulk MEMS structures my self, but never god the idea of using it as a voltage reference - more like as an VCO with a little more pull range than a VCXO.

A point that worries me in this application is the surface oxide layer. If very thin or no oxide one would have to expect some more growth of the oxide which would via surface stress cause large shifts.  If there is a significant oxide already, the oxide can react to humidity, even tiny amounts, like a fraction of a surface layer. To this level even the TO8 can may not be sealed enough.  At least from my experience with a possibly different oxide layer, the time to equilibrate with humidity is more like in the months to years at room temperature - so just the wrong time scale.

The following users thanked this post: Andreas

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf