Author Topic: Proper AC Power Protection For Calibrators and 6.5 & 8.5 Digit DMMs  (Read 1234 times)

Offline KJ-90Topic starter

• Contributor
I've always wondered what brand and type of 120 VAC 60Hz surge protector and on-line dual-conversion sine wave UPS should be used for powering calibrators, and 6.5 & 8.5 digit DMMs. I don't presently own any of these instruments, but I'm wondering about a future 6.5 digit DMM. The well-known book Fluke Calibration Philosophy In Practice gives only general advice ( check the chapter called A Rogue's Gallery of Parasitics, I think ), but also Fluke hasn't issued a new edition of that book. My copy dates as of 1994, and I'm also wondering why a new edition of that book hasn't come out yet- is everything online now? The real concern that I have is finding a good quality Mode 1 surge protector ( I'm not sure if the Mode 2 protectors are suitable ), that other people have been satisfied with. In the case of the UPS system, the only issue is a low EMI figure and avoiding any ground loop problems. Does the community have any ideas?

Offline HalFET

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Proper AC Power Protection For Calibrators and 6.5 & 8.5 Digit DMMs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 05:14:10 pm »
I somewhat question the need to have a UPS for a 6.5 digit. That'll be a LM399 based one most likely, so just turn it on an hour or two before use and you ought to be fine. Now for calibrators and 8.5 digit monsters it is a different story!

Offline Awesome14

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 01:26:57 am »
I use a Liebert GXT23000120 UPS to power the instrument rack, except for the DC power supplies. Line conditioners and surge protectors have a slightly delayed response time. A UPS absorbs everything before it can get through.
Anything truly new begins as a thought.

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 10:54:03 am »
Does anyone just power it up directly from the mains socket, like I do?  :palm:
I think I should need a stable power source and it is expensive. And I might need some really good noise cut device if the power is too noisy.
However in most cases I do not came across big issues but once I had trouble with unstable reading by a handy ohmmeter which is powered by a switch mode power supply connected directly from mains, but if the switch mode power supply is connected to a voltage regulator or the meter is power by batteries then the ohm reading will be stable.
I admit the power quality from mains sucks, here :phew:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf