Author Topic: Shorting bar?  (Read 2514 times)

Offline GregDunnTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Shorting bar?
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:15:40 pm »
Just curious if copper shorting bars (like many pieces of test gear use to connect terminals for 2/4-wire Ω measurement, guard connections, etc.) are available separately at a less-than-insane price?  My Fluke 8800A has one of the original bars and a couple of hand-made ones which fit poorly - the correct shape is somewhat complex.  I suppose I could try to locate a sheet of thick copper and try to cut out some, but I doubt they'd look or work any better.  (I am what is referred to as "mechanically declined") 

Pomona wants US$40 for a pack of 10, which is a last resort kind of thing...  Maybe the ones I have are good enough, for free.   :-DD

Offline 001

• Super Contributor
Re: Shorting bar?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:28:05 pm »
Try simple cooper bar from distribution box
It is 100% cooper and almost free

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:20 pm »
you can cut it real nice with a jewelers or scroll saw and then use files and sand paper to get it nice, then you can even hand polish it with a set of sand papers and eventually polishing compound.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
I've got the same issue and bought something like 50 from these guys, along with some other goodies, shipping to Germany was OK, in US it probably free or insignificant:

https://www.electronicsurplus.com/h-h-smith-1828-connector-banana-jacks-shorting-links-only-package-of-10

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The following users thanked this post: GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2018, 12:13:58 am »
Excellent!  Not sure why my search didn't turn that up.  10 shorting links for less than the cost of one from Pomona.   :-+  I've ordered some, and will post when they arrive.  The place is only a few hours' drive from here so they should be able to get the package here pretty quickly.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2018, 04:44:13 am »
0.61$ each free shipping at arrow.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/1828/abbatron

The following users thanked this post: TiN, macboy, GregDunn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 05:42:58 am »
About the same cost by the time shipping is figured in on the other site.  And cheaper, once I calculate the cost of a jeweler's saw and my time.   ;D  Nonetheless, good to know there's more than once source!

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2018, 06:31:57 am »
fyi with a jewelers saw I bought just the blades and I found you can do a decent bit of work with them if you just make a Y shape out of fflat wood and glue them to it tight. its pretty bootleg but I managed to cut through a broke wrench with this method.

the slightly larger woodworkers one might be good enough too. always use lubricant when cutting aluminum or copper with a hacking blade because it will gunk if you do.

if you encounter non standard weird shit in the future it can come in handy to know

or make custom ones out of silver or something
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:36:39 am by coppercone2 »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 06:59:15 am »
I'm actually looking into getting a few  metalworking tools at the moment so they'll be there when I need them!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
Arrived!  Just as good as the ones which came with my meters and a great price.  Saved me hours of cutting and shaping I really didn't want to have to do.   :P

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 07:45:11 pm »
Arrived!  Just as good as the ones which came with my meters and a great price.  Saved me hours of cutting and shaping I really didn't want to have to do.   :P

Which seller, your neighbor where I've got mine or Arrow ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 12:02:21 am »

Which seller, your neighbor where I've got mine or Arrow ?

Cheers,
 DC1MC

The link you sent - Electronic Surplus.   :-+  Too bad I didn't find them a couple of weeks ago - I was in the area on travel and could have actually visited their store.  Unfortunately their test equipment is rather pricey for surplus gear...

Offline texaspyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 03:15:41 am »
A while back I uploaded some PCB layouts for shorting straps to OSHPARK's shared projects.  There is a single and dual slot version.  OSHPARK is a bit pricey, but you can download the Eagle .brd files and send them off to a place like dirtypcbs.com   You should use thin material  and 2 oz copper with ENIG gold finish.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/texaspyro

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf