Author Topic: Teardown:Julie Reasearch Labs VDR106 KVD  (Read 7751 times)

Offline PipelieTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Teardown:Julie Reasearch Labs VDR106 KVD
« on: January 01, 2017, 08:24:48 am »
another Kelvin-Varley  Voltage Divider come from Julie Research, I opened up this beast for the first time and was surprised to find that this divider appears to have no adjustable component. :-//
Specifications
Resolution :0.1 ppm
Accuracy: 1 ppm
Stability: 1 ppm/year
http://www.ko4bb.com/getsimple/index.php?id=download&file=06_Misc_Test_Equipment/Julie_Reasearch_Labs_VDR1067_VDR307_Kelvin_Varley_Voltage_Divider_Operator_Manual.pdf

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 10:18:02 am by Pipelie »

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, edavid, Vgkid, doktor pyta, mnementh, czgut

• Regular Contributor
more pictures

The following users thanked this post: Theboel

• Regular Contributor
switches 

• Regular Contributor
sealed resistors,can't find any information about this resistors. :)
if anybody want to see more detail about this KVD, please let me known , I'll take more pictures and upload.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 08:39:53 am by Pipelie »

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
Some serious point to point there  :D. And interesting note in the manual under the maintenance section "that if the ratio is far of from its proper value a visual inspection may reveal short circuits of the busbars" and "gentle bending is permissible"..... indeed.  :),
The black sleeved connections look interesting.
Thanks for the pics.
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline VintageNut

• Frequent Contributor
It looks like the first three decades are "special", sealed box, probably oil filled. The black sleeve wires may be tweaking to match the resistors. The black sleeve wires appear to be an "amateur" job.

You will require a very tight tolerance divider to check the goodness of the first decade. 
working instruments :Keithley 260,261,2750,7708, 2000 (calibrated), 2015, 236, 237, 238, 147, 220,  Rigol DG1032  PAR Model 128 Lock-In amplifier, Fluke 332A, Gen Res 4107 KVD, 4107D KVD, Fluke 731B X2 (calibrated), Fluke 5450A (calibrated)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for posting the pictures. I have one of these (donated th manual to KO4BB) but have never opened it. The resistors were made by Julie as were the switches. The rights were bought out by Ohm-Lab http://www.ohm-lab.com/index.html who still make the high voltage dividers (and resistors to order). A websearch will bring up some of the Julie patents. No adjustments. Fine tuning appears to have been via the sleeved links of small gauge wire. Note the intermediate twist and solder joints for thermal EMF cancellation. These were national lab standard dividers in their day and still perform well. The NIST accepted check proceedure is included in th manual. The red "glyptal" enamal on the solder joints indicate that they have not been touched. The "amateurish" appearance is probably due to difficultly in adjustment.

The following users thanked this post: Pipelie

Offline manganin

• Regular Contributor

The black covered wires are Manganin and used to fine tune the divider after sealing.

sealed resistors,can't find any information about this resistors.

The metal boxes are actually their DMR series decade resistors, without painting and thumb nuts replaced with oridinary nuts. Please see the data attached.

Oil filled but not hermetic. Ceramic insulators with simple rubber seals.

The following users thanked this post: lowimpedance, edavid, Pipelie, alm, czgut

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
That is truely gorgeous on the inside. As manganin pointed out, those black wires are the trims. You can easily tell by noticing the extra wire sticking out.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
I have serial number 1 of VDR 307 that I bought from JRL some years ago. I like to think the late Loebe Julie himself had a hand in tweaking it, though I've no idea. It's entirely discrete resistors with manganin trims. It's a 5' rack panel, rather than the narrow ones used on the later units. Haven't had it off the shelf in a while, but I think every tap of the main divider was brought out to banana jacks on the rear panel, or something similar.

Remember, Loebe Julie had a lot to do with what we consider the modern opamp- http://electronicdesign.com/analog/whats-all-julie-stuff-anyhow

The following users thanked this post: stevebyan

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
Re: Teardown:Julie_Reasearch_Labs_VDR1067_VDR307_Kelvin_Varley_Voltage_Divider
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 07:40:22 pm »
Those switches are made by Sprague. Yes, the capacitor company.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

• Regular Contributor
Re: Teardown:Julie_Reasearch_Labs_VDR1067_VDR307_Kelvin_Varley_Voltage_Divider
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 07:09:46 am »
Thank you all, guys.
looks like That is not an easy task to trim the resistor.
I'll put it in test after Chinese New year holiday.
I uploaded the high resolution pictures to FTP, in case of someone zoom in for more detail. :)
Here is,https://xdevs.com/doc/Julie_Reasearch_Labs_VDR1067_VDR307_Kelvin_Varley_Voltage_Divider/

Find some pictures of DMR-105-10K from eBay, attached.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 05:45:14 pm by Pipelie »

The following users thanked this post: czgut

Offline niner_007

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Teardown:Julie Reasearch Labs VDR106 KVD
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:06 am »
I have the sickness. I scored one of these too :-)

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2020, 07:04:57 pm »
Now you need 3 voltage feferences, another divider, a differential voltmeter a 7 or 8 digit DVM... :D
Welcome to volt nuttery, now about time and frequency >:D

The following users thanked this post: niner_007

Offline niner_007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2020, 09:20:04 pm »
Now you need 3 voltage feferences, another divider, a differential voltmeter a 7 or 8 digit DVM... :D
Welcome to volt nuttery, now about time and frequency >:D
Except for the references, I have more than 3 of everything :D I’m working on having few 24/7 references running, with backup batteries etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf