Author Topic: Temperature & Humidity Logger/VB Interface  (Read 1309 times)

Offline daveykTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Temperature & Humidity Logger/VB Interface
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:50:49 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Up until this point, I have been using a Veriteq Spectrum SP2000 Environmental Data Logger.  I use their API to interface it to VB6 and actually to VBA in Microsoft Access.  When I perform a Certification, I can have my Certification program/database, look up the average Temperature and Humidity during the time I was performing the calibration.  In fact it takes each data point (every five minutes) and creates a nice chart on the back of the cert.

Anyway, the SP2000 got left in a tool box in my jeep (rather than in my laptop case in the warm hotel room).  It was real cold and that killed its lithium battery.  I am pretty sure that you can not just change the battery as the calibration tables are backed-up by that battery.  Well, it no longer communicate thanks to the dead battery.  It talks just enough to give its ID (SN) and model but will not send any data, even current data.  It will probably cost me close to $600 to send it back to Veriteq for repair and calibration.  If I want a new one, last time I checked two years ago, they were over $1200.  There is not an awful lot to them, but you pay for the technology and development.

Is there and pre-made kits anyone it aware of that are easy to hook to a laptop via USB and to talk to with VBA or VB6 that would log temperature and humidity?   I don't want to build one on my own, I just don't have the time.  Software modification to talk to an get data from a new one would be fun as long as there is a relatively easy way to tie it in to VBA/VB6.

I see there are a number of people using Ardrenoes to do similar things.  I do not want o learn those things (I am just too busy for many reasons).  I would pay for a premade programmed kit that could interface to a computer and that I could adapt my software for.  I would have a little more control over it and more easily replace it when it fails.  I guess it would be nice if I could get it certified (room temperature and not over a huge range.

Perusing Amazon, I can find sensors and what not but I don't see information on APIs or other methods of interfacing them to VB.

Hopefully someone here knows of one or a few.

Thanks kindly

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Temperature & Humidity Logger/VB Interface
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:22 pm »
You need to specify your performance targets... SP2000 seems to be very high performance and with traceable calibration... What you are suggesting as a replacement is neither of those...
Does that mean that you would be satisfied with lesser specs and no formal calibration and traceability?
Regards,

Sinisa

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf