Author Topic: Transit calibration cases for our precious references.  (Read 4059 times)

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
Transit calibration cases for our precious references.
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:32:47 pm »
My xDevs Volt is getting ready to travel with me on train next week for some Quantum Volt love.
So I visited few photocamera retail stores and got this nice Pelican 1535 Air hardcase.

It's good to fit either one 732B/C or 732B/C+charger unit if travel is >3 days.

This 1535 case also suitable to fit half-rack DMMs, such as Keithley 2002.

Make sure to use ESD bag around the sensitive equipment, as foam insert is great at generating immense amounts of static electricity.

What you use for your precious equipment transport to/from calibration lab?

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:10:03 pm by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline CalMachine

• Frequent Contributor
  • Metrology Nut
Re: Transit calibration cases for our precious references.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 01:20:36 pm »
If I hand carry it to the lab, no case at all.  It sits on my lap during the drive :)
All your volts are belong to me

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 04:20:16 pm »
Everything that goes to national measurement institute I'll deliver personally. Added expense is small compared to calibration fees and all the doubt about handling issues.

Peli cases are good start but the foam is too stiff for most sensitive (lightweight) equipment like SPRT's
Peli case packed inside 2x2x2 sized cardboard box filled with styrofoam chips or wood shavings is lot better.
Seen also smaller box suspended with sort of rubber bands inside larger plywood crate.

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 06:52:26 pm »
My SPRT (5699) have it's own wooden case. Probably best is to pack that case inside bigger peli case.  :)
Calibration of that thing would be a story for whole another year, it's much more expensive than JJ cal.

What is more challenging - shipping heavy calibrators like 5720A to the labs. You cannot carry these on the lap like CalMachine suggests.
Fluke's 5520A transit case looks like SKB Rack series. 4U one , deep enough for 5720A ain't cheap though :(.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:34:41 pm by TiN »
YouTube | Metrology IRC Chat room | Let's share T&M documentation? Upload! No upload limits for firmwares, photos, files.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 09:49:52 am »
Nice info, TiN!

Is there a good transport case for the 3458A?

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 01:39:23 pm »
My SPRT (5699) have it's own wooden case. Probably best is to pack that case inside bigger peli case.  :)
Calibration of that thing would be a story for whole another year, it's much more expensive than JJ cal.

Yup, expensive to calibrate and so easy to break. Shocked SPRT can measure ok-ish on water triple point but go haywire at other temps. 
Buying a second-hand SPRT would be huge lottery compared to DMM's or voltage references  :-// Would never even consider buying one from equipment dealers, directly from another cal lab just maybe..
Fluke/Hart models like the 5699 appear to be slightly more robust than some others but still "if you lay it on the table and it makes a sound you knock it too hard"
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 01:41:27 pm by mzzj »

Offline kj7e

• Frequent Contributor
  • Damon Stewart

The following users thanked this post: 3roomlab

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:29 pm »

Yup, expensive to calibrate and so easy to break. Shocked SPRT can measure ok-ish on water triple point but go haywire at other temps. 
Buying a second-hand SPRT would be huge lottery compared to DMM's or voltage references  :-// Would never even consider buying one from equipment dealers, directly from another cal lab just maybe..
Fluke/Hart models like the 5699 appear to be slightly more robust than some others but still "if you lay it on the table and it makes a sound you knock it too hard"

Todays Random idea for my recent Fluke 5616 PRT from HighVoltage is a 3D printed Coffin for the pointy end. Still needs to go in padding for travel but for casual protection on the bench should do the trick for the occasional bump.

Two piece for the probe end for easier production. Split top section to go over the cable then screw onto the lower section to keep the probe in place. Still printing.....

STL's in the Zip file temporarily removed found a problem. The ID of and M11 female thread is  :palm:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:18:05 pm by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 01:47:20 am »
Try that again  :-[ Measure TWICE print once  :palm:

While I was at it I added a loop to keep a Velcro wrap in place on the top section for the cable management. Works well but I might for extra shock protection make another barrel with a foam or internal rubber sleeve yet.

In the Zip file if anyone can use it (or mod for your own PRT) is the Fusion 360 files and the STL's. Middle and top sections should be printed with a raft to keep them in place otherwise pick you normal settings without supports.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 06:30:35 am »
That is small PRT :)

Meanwhile Fluke 732 and SR104 made it all safely back from NML calibration. Busy times, transferring sub-ppm Volt and Ohm ASAP  :scared:.

The following users thanked this post: Andreas, ch_scr, beanflying

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 08:19:44 am »
I am sure there is something about it's not the size but how you use it but we shouldn't go there ;)

When I sent my couple of 6 1/2 digit meter off to Keysight recently I went with cardboard and recut EPP foam inner. Providing you stop movement of the contents Cardboard us still a great product with a bit of distance to the items. A few mates of mine have used Cardboard shipping composite R/C Gliders on planes with no issues that way heading to world championships and my 2m ABS custom box did the job for me.

Cool Cal Lab pic too :-+

Offline TiNTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • xDevs.com
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 02:56:33 pm »
Got Pelican 1690 and iM3075 cases for my calibrators, about $580 each with foam, new from Pelican.
SKB rack chassis was over $1200 USD for comparison.

And 1690 can fit two 3458A or similar instruments, in case I want to transport those somewhere for calibration.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 04:45:48 am by TiN »

The following users thanked this post: CalMachine

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2023, 05:48:14 am »
Hello Folks - recently B&W Intl. (Germany) introduced the 7800 series of Outdoor cases which are suitable to transport 3458A

7800 B&W Intl.
https://www.b-w-international.com/en/outdoor/cases/b-w-outdoor.case-type-7800?c=50

Inner dimensions: 770 x 540 x 380 mm | 30.3 x 21.3 x 15.0 inch
Outer dimensions: 845 x 615 x 415 mm | 33.3 x 24.2 x 16.3 inch

1690 Pelican

[url=https://www.peli.com/eu/en/product/cases/transport-case/protector/1690]https://www.peli.com/eu/en/product/cases/transport-case/protector/1690
[/url]

Inner dimensions:  765 × 638 × 390 mm | 30.1 x 25.1 x 15.0 inch
Outer dimensions: 849 × 721 × 448 mm | 33.4 x 28.4 x 17.6 inch

Best regards
ScoobyDoo

Physical properties of 3458A:
https://www.keysight.com/us/en/assets/7018-06796/data-sheets/5965-4971.pdf

502.9 mm D x 425.5 mm W x 88.9 mm H
Net weight: 12 kg (26.5 lbs)
Shipping weight: 14.8 kg (32.5 lbs)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 07:29:06 pm by ScoobyDoo »

Offline Mickle T.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2023, 09:49:38 am »
We used a custom-made attaché case to transport the portable calibrator and VHA412 10 kΩ resistor to the JJA lab and back to the RU Calibration Club.

The following users thanked this post: doktor pyta, bsw_m

Offline CorporateReference

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2023, 10:36:29 pm »
Sometimes the standard Pelican pick and pluck foam comes apart after a while. We designed our own foam for our pelicans in this place: https://mycasebuilder.com/customfoam
They sometimes have sales and has a quick turnaround with different foam density choices.  Custom foam definitely beats the pick and pluck mess.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 09:37:06 am »
Sometimes the standard Pelican pick and pluck foam comes apart after a while. We designed our own foam for our pelicans in this place: https://mycasebuilder.com/customfoam
They sometimes have sales and has a quick turnaround with different foam density choices.  Custom foam definitely beats the pick and pluck mess.
That is really nice!
Do they offer anti static foam?
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf