Author Topic: The years of resistance, volt and ampere definition / adjust  (Read 2336 times)

Offline VtileTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
The years of resistance, volt and ampere definition / adjust
« on: September 04, 2017, 06:59:38 pm »
Like title say, which were the years when atleast the Ohm did have a adjustment. Were it somewhere 1960? Other adjustment of the other unit are only "I think I have seen here mentioned".

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: The years of resistance, volt and ampere definition / adjust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:58:40 pm »
I could not find a doc with the history of the fundamental constants. They seem to be revisited every 4 years, and updated as technology gets better. Next update is 2018.

Electrical Units in the New SI: Saying Goodbye to the 1990 Values (9/2014 paper):

"There will be an inevitable step change in the electrical units realized from quantum standards when this change is implemented, and the numerical values KJ-90 and RK-90 that have been in use for more than 20 years are abrogated and replaced by the new values of KJ and RK based on the latest experiments."

"The most significant effect is a step change of the order of 0.1 uV/V in voltage, as outlined in the previous section. High-end digital voltmeters have specifications of a few parts in 10^6.  Even though they behave better in the well-defined environment of a qualified (national)  metrology laboratory,  the effect of the step change will still remain unnoticed, swamped by the noise and instability of the internal Zener-diode voltage reference used in the instrument."

"a step change of 0.02u \$\Omega\$/ \$\Omega\$ in assigned resistor values due to the change from RK-90 to RK should only be seen on the top level working standards maintained within NMIs."

"Capacitance standards are often directly traceable to resistance standards, and in these cases will also see a step change of 0.02 uF/F on the introduction of the updated value for RK."

"We can expect this to change over the next few years, with the implementation of the new SI most probably occurring in 2018." 

Am I reading this right?  :-//

[edit: Greek alphabet is hell here]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:02:28 am by floobydust »

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:07:25 am »
I'm not sure.. I need to get some sleep, but I were more after the historic perspective. The ohm have got some tweak at some point and so is the voltage. I'm just wondering which year and what magnitude.. My google fu also end up with nothing. Just ascuired old L&N bridge, only 4 decades though, but I would like to calculate the effects as I assume it is specked with the old ohm.

I couldn't be the only one who have some museum instruments.  :)

Edit.. Or do I remember incorrectly as I can not find anything about ohm change.... Metrology institutions are so secretive (buried to scientific publications) about the basics. :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:55:07 am by Vtile »

Offline Moon Winx

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: CalMachine

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 03:43:33 pm »
Unfortunately that is only a partial answer. There is some / all of the years, but all I can substarct is that Josephon frequenzy is now 5000000 Ghz/V  |O I'm not metrologist (or even volt-nut ... yet), I would be happy just if the gray bearded scientists (in bipm or any other institution which maintains the SI system) would give a table that this and this decades units are x PPM smaller or bigger than the last decades units were and reason is Y.

.. Thank you for that link, I'm a bit closer again.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 04:16:07 pm by Vtile »

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
There was a major tweak to the ohm in 1948. I've got an L&N 100 ohm resistor that the lab at first refused to certify, as it was about 0.05 ohms out. Then we realized that it was made before the tweak, which was something like 495 PPM!

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/calibrations/87mscohm.pdf

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

Offline mycroft

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 05:58:20 pm »
Volt and Ohm were updated effective January 1st 1990. See https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4962895/.

The following users thanked this post: Vtile

• Super Contributor
  • Ingineer
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 08:34:14 pm »
There was a major tweak to the ohm in 1948. I've got an L&N 100 ohm resistor that the lab at first refused to certify, as it was about 0.05 ohms out. Then we realized that it was made before the tweak, which was something like 495 PPM!

https://www.nist.gov/sites/default/files/documents/calibrations/87mscohm.pdf
OH! That were the ohms tweak that were hounting back of my head. I have idea of constructing a small timeline for these, but as I'm a project hoarder I don't know how long it takes to me to get it done.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf