Author Topic: Valhalla 2703 AC Voltage Calibrator - Help needed to identify part.  (Read 1968 times)

Offline TheDefpomTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Hi All,
I picked up one of these units a few months ago, I found that there is a capacitor completely ripped off one of the boards, the vertical board on the right hand side, the capacitor is right at the front edge of that board, towards the upper section, number is C122, can someone have a look in their unit and tell me what that part is, the marking looks like an electrolytic or tantalum but the service manual says it is a different type of only 470pF, which doesn't really match up, so if someone could pop the covers and confirm both the type, voltage and value of what is actually there that would be great!

I will be doing a repair video on the unit once I get enough time to dig into its issues, basically it drops into standby when higher voltages are selected, so its probably some leakage thing, I am currently waiting for new caps and a new fan to a arrive before I start working on it, I will do the basic stuff first!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 05:23:56 am by TheDefpom »
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Valhalla 2703 AC Voltage Calibrator Help to identify part.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:10 am »
You might be best moving this topic to the Metrology section, that's where the Valhalla owners hang out - and particularly if you are planning to do a video on it.
Best Regards, Chris

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Valhalla 2703 AC Voltage Calibrator - Help needed to identify part.
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 08:58:39 am »
@Simon:

I see you have locked the OP's duplicate thread in the Metrology section.  In my reply above, I suggested that he move this thread there. He has obviously had difficulty in doing that or not understood.

It would probably be best for forum 'tidiness' if you could either delete the locked thread and move this one to Metrology, or delete this one and unlock the other one, removing your locking reply too.

[Edit: Either way, I think he's going to find more Valhalla owners in the Metrology section.]

Chris
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:20:45 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 02:47:49 pm »
Do you still need the pictures? I could open my Valhalla 2703 if needed.

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 07:39:04 pm »
Hi, yes I still need to know what that cap is, thank you.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline e61_phil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 07:10:20 pm »
Sorry, it took a while to find some time to remove the unit from the stack and open it.

C122 isn't assembled in my unit and it looks like it was never assembled before.

My unit has also some problems: The output voltage is unstable in the range of 200ppm. But it stays on. If you need some measurements or something else just say so. The unit sitting on my bench without the cover at the moment.

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:26:21 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to have a look, it looks like maybe I don't need to worry about that missing capacitor then.

I will be doing a live stream on my YT channel in about 30 minutes, I plan to try fixing a HP6181B DC current source, but if there is time afterwards I could have a go at the 2703 as well.

I will let you know if I have any specific questions for test voltages etc. thank you.
Cheers Scott

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf