Author Topic: Mysterious FPGA board  (Read 6439 times)

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
Re: Mysterious FPGA board
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 08:02:45 pm »
Billable to who?

The older you get the more precious your time becomes. If your hobby is reverse engineering old random dev boards then more power to you! I suspect most people would like to actually use fpga rather than spend weekends investigating pcb connections.

If this was $500 FPGA chip situation would be totally different, but $35 gets you fully documented board from china with same spartan.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline migry

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 10:17:24 pm »
I was given one of these boards, and a little information.

I am told that the 14 way connector is for JTAG and apparently is a Xilinx standard. I googled for "xilinx fpga cable" and I got 3 hits on Ebay, whose pictures show the small 14 connector. One cheap £20 programmer shows an adapter board. My programmer would need an adapter cable.

All pins of the 32 pin connector connect to GPIO pins on the FPGA. Just a quick idea. If you can get JTAG to connect, then you could in theory use the boundary scan chain to toggle all I/O pins, one by one, and by this tedious method find out the mapping of these pins to Xilinx I/O pads. This same method could be used to figure out the wiring of the FPGA to the SRAM chip too. Tedious but do-able.

Power is via the 60 pin(?) Samtec connector on the bottom. Any ideas if you can buy a matching breakout board? The 3 small square ICs to the right of the DIP switches are the regulators. It's not obvious where to connect the power  :(

The following users thanked this post: alin_im

Offline alin_imTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2017, 10:04:59 am »
It has some test pins with the required voltages that are needed to power the board. I hope they can be visiblein the photos.
One man's 'magic' is another man's engineering. 'Supernatural' is a null word. - Robert A. Heinlein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf