Author Topic: verilog core for Sharp LJ320U21 320x240 EL pannel  (Read 3177 times)

Offline ealexTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
verilog core for Sharp LJ320U21 320x240 EL pannel
« on: April 16, 2017, 03:56:18 pm »
hello

recently i've got one of the displays sold by "dexters_lab" here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/(fs-world)-sharp-lj320u21-electroluminescent-320x240-matrix-displays/

i've managed to make some simple verilog code that will drive the display, and draw a basic test pattern:

(sorry about the reflections, the display is like a mirror, i peeled of the touch layer, it was cloudy)

the FPGA is clocked from a 50MHz oscillator.
the code is separated in the following modules:

reset_generator.v
 - it gets the main clock and raw reset button
 - it generates 2 long reset pulses, positive and negative

pixel_timing.v
 - receives reset and main clock
 - it generates a sequence of 8 pulses - basically a shift register that loops back at the end
 - the pulse rate is 50MHz/8 = 6.25MHz
 - the first pulse output is used as an enable signal for horizontal and vertical modules
 - the last for outpust are OR'ed to generate the pixel clock

horizontal.v
 - receives reset, main clock and enable pulse from the timing generator
 - outputs
  - out_h_sync : H_SYNC pulse, proper logic level
  - out_h_active : 1 in active line area, 0 otherwise
  - out_h_line_start : a pulse at the start of the active area, not used
  - out_h_reset_pulse : a pulse at the start of a new H_SYNC period
  - out_h_index[8:0] : current pixel line index, 0 to 319, valid only when out_h_active is 1

vertical.v
 - receives reset, main clock, enable
 - receives in_h_sync from out_h_reset_pulse
 - outputs:
  - out_v_sync : proper level V_SYNC signal
  - out_v_active : 1 if the current line is display-able, 0 otherwise
  - out_v_start : a pulse of the start of the active screen area
  - out_v_index[7:0] : line number, from 0 to 239, valid only when out_v_active is 1

sample_video.v
 - simple logic that generates the lines from the picture above

sharp_lj320u21.v
 - main block, ties everything together

Compilation report:
Flow Status   Successful - Sun Apr 16 18:41:17 2017
Quartus II 64-Bit Version   13.0.1 Build 232 06/12/2013 SP 1 SJ Web Edition
Revision Name   sharp_lj320u21
Top-level Entity Name   sharp_lj320u21
Family   Cyclone II
Device   EP2C8Q208C8
Timing Models   Final
Total logic elements   88 / 8,256 ( 1 % )
Total combinational functions   87 / 8,256 ( 1 % )
Dedicated logic registers   40 / 8,256 ( < 1 % )
Total registers   40
Total pins   9 / 138 ( 7 % )
Total virtual pins   0
Total memory bits   0 / 165,888 ( 0 % )
Embedded Multiplier 9-bit elements   0 / 36 ( 0 % )
Total PLLs   0 / 2 ( 0 % )
( can be clocked up to 230MHz )

feel free to criticize the way i wrote it - i've learned verilog by myself, so any comment is useful.

the final scope will be to make a text based status display for my headless servers.
currently i've got it working with an 8x8 font - i will make another thread when i populate the font ROM and i can show a demo.
maybe add a Z80 so i can connect the servers via serial lines and format the data.

The following users thanked this post: dexters_lab, Buriedcode

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
Re: verilog core for Sharp LJ320U21 320x240 EL pannel
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
Thanks for this :)

I am still working on my Planar EL display controller using an old Cyclone II (the only FPGA board I got with SRAM).  Thats 640x480 dual scan.  I have the timing down, and using a FIFO, but I still haven't managed to get the read/write timing to allow it to appear to a microcontroller as just a block of memory.  It's my first proper FPGA project, also in verilog.

I'm sure you've got it all sorted, but if you want to swap notes, pm me.  Or if you want my code used (I'm assuming its a similar interface) let me know.

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:50 am »
Dual scan, 640x480, I made a controller for a dual scan LCD some years ago. It is based on a Parallax propeller. Sadly the propeller only has 32 kbytes RAM, instead of the 38 k that would be needed, 640x400 works then. The timing was a bit tight but if you think that one processor only has to refresh the display... it is not that important.

Using a FPGA makes the whole process easier, but only the biggest members of the cyclone II family have enough embedded RAM blocks, for an "easy" dual-port interface :(. Getting a processor and LCD interface to read/write "simultaneously" to RAM needs some arbitration work (only easy to say).
The easiest is to say you have a two states state machine, state 0 allow LCD read for refresh (that needs kind of 2 accesses due to dual scan) and state 1 allows for uP access. You may have to save what the processor writes in a buffer to save it on state 1, reading needs either a faster than the processor read cycle state machine or an asynchronous interface. Maybe if you give us a bit more info how the uP access should be, we could devise a scheme. I find these arbitration problems difficult but exciting to solve :) (not that I had had that much success...)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:42:46 am »
Dual scan, 640x480, I made a controller for a dual scan LCD some years ago. It is based on a Parallax propeller. Sadly the propeller only has 32 kbytes RAM, instead of the 38 k that would be needed, 640x400 works then. The timing was a bit tight but if you think that one processor only has to refresh the display... it is not that important.

Using a FPGA makes the whole process easier, but only the biggest members of the cyclone II family have enough embedded RAM blocks, for an "easy" dual-port interface :(. Getting a processor and LCD interface to read/write "simultaneously" to RAM needs some arbitration work (only easy to say).
The easiest is to say you have a two states state machine, state 0 allow LCD read for refresh (that needs kind of 2 accesses due to dual scan) and state 1 allows for uP access. You may have to save what the processor writes in a buffer to save it on state 1, reading needs either a faster than the processor read cycle state machine or an asynchronous interface. Maybe if you give us a bit more info how the uP access should be, we could devise a scheme. I find these arbitration problems difficult but exciting to solve :) (not that I had had that much success...)
Or just use two clock phases at 2x the refresh read clock rate, so on every cycle you have a refresh and CPU read/write write opportunity.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 10:45:18 am »
depending on the display's interface you could use the external memory interface of a STM32 micro - some of them have more than enough RAM for that.

look in this application note: http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/85/ad/ef/0f/a3/a6/49/9a/CD00201397.pdf/files/CD00201397.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00201397.pdf

they show you how to use FSMC (flexible static memory controller) to drive a raw graphical lcd.

if i'm not mistaken, that display has a 4 bit interface instead of 1 bit -> you will not waste too much memory.

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:08:09 am »
Good job.
I have attached code I wrote 5 years ago for a 512x256 planar display.

Code: [Select]
module top
(
clk_50,
el_tvid,
el_vs,
el_hs,
el_vclk,
el_vid
);

input wire clk_50;
output reg el_vid;
output reg el_tvid;
output wire el_vs = (y_count == 0);
output wire el_hs = x_count < 512;
output reg el_vclk;

reg [9:0] x_count;
reg [8:0] y_count;
reg [1:0] cnt;
reg [13:0] front_porch;
reg poop;

initial begin
el_tvid <= 0;
el_vclk <= 0;
end

always @(posedge clk_50)
begin

cnt <= cnt + 1;

if(cnt == 1) el_vclk <= ~el_vclk;
poop <= el_vclk;

// 100uS front porch
if(front_porch > 0) begin
front_porch <= front_porch + 1;
if(front_porch == 10000 ) begin
front_porch <= 0;
x_count <= 0;
y_count <= 0;
end
end

if(~el_vclk && poop) begin
x_count <= x_count + 1;
if(x_count == 520) begin
x_count <= 0;
y_count <= y_count + 1;
end
if(y_count == 256) front_porch <= 1;
end

el_vid <= ~img_data[x_count];
end

wire [511:0] img_data;

img img_inst (
.address ( y_count ),
.clock ( clk_50 ),
.q ( img_data )
);

endmodule
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 05:30:31 am »
that code looks so clean, at least compared to the spaghetti monster i added in the first post

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf