Author Topic: 87c521 programmer  (Read 9851 times)

Offline hwarin

Re: 87c521 programmer
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 04:25:22 pm »
@technix : My goal is not to "use/program" a 87c521 but to dump an existing one, what have (probably) been programmed years ago in order to recover the code.

So far, to be fully complete, I've found in a garage sale a small unknown box with a PCB containing all the hardware necessary to make a Minitel external display (French ancestral videotext terminal). As it don't seems to be working, I'd like to try to dump the code in the hope that something remains readable ...

Hervé

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2018, 07:18:08 pm »
@technix : My goal is not to "use/program" a 87c521 but to dump an existing one, what have (probably) been programmed years ago in order to recover the code.

So far, to be fully complete, I've found in a garage sale a small unknown box with a PCB containing all the hardware necessary to make a Minitel external display (French ancestral videotext terminal). As it don't seems to be working, I'd like to try to dump the code in the hope that something remains readable ...

Hervé
Depending on the chip, your best chance might be EA hot swapping. Boot the MCU with EA pin tied LOW so it would fetch its first instructions from external bus, then raise the pin after the program counter has been placed in the external address space to bring the original EPROM contents back onto the bus so you can read and dump it.

Offline hwarin

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2018, 11:17:17 pm »
Well - I don't really see how would this trick could work.

If I start the MPU on external adress (I need a clock, of course) then it won't read any proper vector and will execute garbage, but will continue to drive the address bus. Switching back to internal address space will then execute something random from a random location and I'll never get anything.

Am I wrong ?

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2018, 03:04:04 am »
Well - I don't really see how would this trick could work.

If I start the MPU on external adress (I need a clock, of course) then it won't read any proper vector and will execute garbage, but will continue to drive the address bus. Switching back to internal address space will then execute something random from a random location and I'll never get anything.

Am I wrong ?
You need to supply your EEPROM for the chip. This way it boots to your program.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf