Author Topic: A 6502 constructed from discrete transistors  (Read 3602 times)

Offline amykTopic starter

• Super Contributor
A 6502 constructed from discrete transistors
« on: May 16, 2016, 05:12:11 am »
http://monster6502.com/

It's actually not that big.

Offline hamster_nz

• Super Contributor
Re: A 6502 constructed from discrete transistors
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 05:21:14 am »
I'ld love to see the other side of the board... (a tiny bit) more info are on the person's blog at http://tubetime.us/?p=346
Gaze not into the abyss, lest you become recognized as an abyss domain expert, and they expect you keep gazing into the damn thing.

Offline arobincaron

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 03:04:08 am »
I spec'd doing this myself using a similar discrete component approach.  Some back of the envelope estimation put the effort at ~2 years of hobby time and about $2K in hard cost. That was the end of that :-)

Supercool to see someone followed through and made it a reality.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 03:33:53 am »
At about 12x15 inches, it's the largest "hobbyist" PCB I've seen in a long time.
The original 6502 was 168 x 183 mils, so this is about 6000 times larger.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:49:38 am »
I've just seen this in person & it's awesome!
On the back there are some SO14 or 16 transistor arrays -  I don't recall exactly what Eric said they were for but I think it  to do with needing oddball transistors  with multiple emitters or something similar. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:23:29 am »
Are they literally all 2N7000s (or close enough, i.e. SMTs, arrays), or did they use something of actually modest size?

I can't imagine an NMOS design, using huge hulking 2N7000s, going much more than 10s of kHz.  Which is about what they'd claimed, really... so...  :-\

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline DJohn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 02:43:47 pm »
On the back there are some SO14 or 16 transistor arrays -  I don't recall exactly what Eric said they were for but I think it  to do with needing oddball transistors  with multiple emitters or something similar.

The "tiny bit more" information at http://tubetime.us/?p=346 covers that.  The 6502 uses dynamic logic, which means a lot of its transistors are used as transmission gates.  For "various technical reasons", you can't do this with ordinary 3-pin MOSFETs: a separate substrate connection is required.  The chips are arrays of 4 transistors with that separate substrate pin.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »

The "tiny bit more" information at http://tubetime.us/?p=346 covers that.  The 6502 uses dynamic logic, which means a lot of its transistors are used as transmission gates.  For "various technical reasons", you can't do this with ordinary 3-pin MOSFETs: a separate substrate connection is required.  The chips are arrays of 4 transistors with that separate substrate pin.

Probably SD5001s: http://www.linearsystems.com/assets/media/file/datasheets/SD5000_5001_5400_5401.pdf

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 05:12:06 pm »
Wow, that is a really ambitious project and the result is quite handsome, too.

When I was a young engineer I often daydreamed of having the superpower to be able to see the state of a latch on a chip just by looking at it. This person has realized that power by putting LEDs on all the register bits!

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:55:57 am »
At about 12x15 inches, it's the largest "hobbyist" PCB I've seen in a long time.
The original 6502 was 168 x 183 mils, so this is about 6000 times larger.

It looks like they did it at OSH Park too.  12x15x5 = $900  for three boards.  I love OSH Park, but I would go with the cheap guys for the first go-round on this board. 

I spec'd doing this myself using a similar discrete component approach.  Some back of the envelope estimation put the effort at ~2 years of hobby time and about $2K in hard cost. That was the end of that :-)

Supercool to see someone followed through and made it a reality.

I had given some thought to doing this myself also.  But my first thought was change the design from NMOS to CMOS.  Yes, you double the number of transistors.  But at least it will run faster and you won't have to bother with those arrays which I think takes away from the project, frankly, having any non-discrete components on the board.  But this guy did it.  I didn't.  That is a very expensive board.  I think the amount of cost is rather less than what you spec, through.  Even at say 9,000 transistors, that is reel and a half of 2N7002 and BSS84.  Those parts, roughly, are $100 a reel.  So $300 for parts total, and get the boards from China on the cheap.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:03:56 am by JoeN »
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 08:20:33 am »
It looks like they did it at OSH Park too.
Nah, that looks like black soldermask, not purple!

12x15x5 = $900  for three boards.
Except that it's a four layer board, so that'd be $10/in2.  But they could use the "medium run" (150 in2 minimum) which is cheaper ($2/in2 for 4 layers) and would let them do fewer than three boards (if I read that right.)  It's still going to be an expensive PCB!  (which should answer the whole "if you can do this why did we need integrated circuits?" question!)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf