Author Topic: Analog Devices ADZS-ICE-100B and urjtag  (Read 7004 times)

Offline legacyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
Analog Devices ADZS-ICE-100B and urjtag
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:01:58 pm »

Analog Devices ADZS-ICE-100B

hi guys
i have bought a pretty new Analog Devices ADZS-ICE-100B, VisualDSP++ v5.03 is supporting it very well in my Windows XP box, targeting to blackfin-bf537-stamp board, so everything looks ok  .. until i read this AN page that made me wanting to try urjtag!

Sourceforce has an old version for urjtag, v0.10 is 2009, and it doesn't support the ICE-100B cable, so i checked out the git repository.

i used this repo

Code: [Select]
git clone [url]https://github.com/shuckc/urjtag.git

once compiled i got this

jtag> cable ICE-100B
ICE-100B firmware version is 0.0.1
error: The firmware on the ICE-100B needs to be updated. Please go to <http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=hw:jtag:ice100b> to learn how to update the firmware.
error: system error: No such file or directory do_host_cmd: unable to write from &usb_cmd_blk to usb: -1;wanted 12 bytes but only wrote 141687544 bytes
jtag>

so i followed the AD page, i downloaded the new firmware and trying to upland it …  this is what i got

jtag> cable ICE-100B firmware=ice100b_firmware_2_0_8.hex
ICE-100B firmware version is 0.0.1
error: The firmware on the ICE-100B needs to be updated. Please go to <http://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=hw:jtag:ice100b> to learn how to update the firmware.
Updating to firmware ice100b_firmware_2_0_8.hex
updating ...
error: system error: No such file or directory ice_send_flash_data: unable to write from &usb_cmd_blk to usb: -1;wanted 12 bytes but only wrote -1074833240 bytes
error: The firmware failed to update.
jtag>

any hints ?

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: Analog Devices ADZS-ICE-100B and urjtag
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 02:02:30 pm »
ADZS-ICE-100B, Product Details

Analog Devices Blackfin emulator, ADZS-ICE-100B, is an easy, portable, nonintrusive, target-based debugging solution. The emulator performs a wide range of emulation functions, including single-step and full-speed execution with predefined breakpoints, and viewing and/or altering of register and memory contents.

The Blackfin emulator enables users to communicate with Analog Devices Blackfin processors using a high speed USB 2.0 port on the host PC. Applications and data can easily and rapidly be tested and transferred between the emulator and the separately available VisualDSP++ development and debugging environment(sold separately).

The plug-and-play architecture of USB allows the emulators to be automatically detected and configured by the host operating system. It can also be connected to and disconnected from the host without opening the PC or turning off the power to the PC.

The Blackfin emulator is also bus powered so users no longer need to have an extra power supply to power the emulator, making it easier for those users who are always on the go.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 02:41:07 pm »
about my issue it seems we'd better use this urjtag repo!

As far as i understood each ICE-100B firmware before 2.0.8 has an issue  :palm:

This issue happens more ofter on some host PC than others (wandering why and what in details).
The suggestion from AnalogDevice's guys is to try several different PC's  :-//

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:34:03 pm »
Still not working with the suggested repository :palm:

I have a opened topic on urjtag forum.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 12:30:08 am »
UP, still fighting  :box:

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:29 am »
UP, still fighting  :box:

Have you tried the Analog Devices forum? support should be available over there.

I bought me one of these, AD-HP530ICE with a Blackfin-533 development board (with a copy of VDSP 5.1), didn't get around to using it properly, just played with the debugger and made sure everything is working.
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.20141002.6.dMnabT&scm=1007.10009.1442.0&id=14016424869&pvid=9188082a-c750-4352-9fa2-05a90f9d78e3
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 09:30:05 am by diyaudio »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:29:51 am »
Have you tried the Analog Devices forum? support should be available over there.

Yes, I have opened a thread on their forum but nobody had provided a valid solution and explanation of the issue: so my ADZS-ICE-100B (1)  is still not working with OpenSource, while it is perfectly working with VisualDSP++ v5.

I bought me one of these, AD-HP530ICE with a Blackfin-533 development board (with a copy of VDSP 5.1), didn't get around to using it properly, just played with the debugger and made sure everything is working.

Yes, at work i have a full registered copy of VisualDSP v5 which is perfectly working with ADZS-ICE-100B just out of the box(2), unfortunately i have to use OpenSouce toolchain because it is an hobby project. I mean 3 things: -1- i'd like to work around uclinux which has NO support from VisualDSP, and -2- i have no money to buy a copy of VisualDSP for my hobby's projects, so i'd better go for OpenSource tools, and finally -3- AnalogDevices has claimed the ADZS-ICE-100B is perfectly supported by UrJtag. I have also opened a thread on UrJtag forum, too.

(1) i have bought an original ADZS-ICE-100B from a local reseller (farnel electronics) @ 130 euro
(2)  the first time i plugged the ADZS-ICE-100B into the USB port, Windows XP was instantaneously ready with the right driver on, and VisualDSP recognized the cable without any issues, in short it was a really play & have fun instead of the plug and pray that i am having with OpenSources.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:39:51 am by legacy »

Offline diyaudio

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:36:34 am »

I have opened a thread on their forum but nobody had provided a valid solution and explanation of the issue: so my cable is still not working with OpenSource, while it is perfectly working with VisualDSP++ v5.

Yes, at work i have a full registered copy of VisualDSP v5 which is perfectly working with ADZS-ICE-100B just out of a plug & play (the first time you plug the ICE cable into the USB Windows XP will be ready with the right driver and VisualDSP will be recognizing the cable without any issues), unfortunately i have to use OpenSouce toolchain because it is an hobby project. I mean 3 things: -1- i'd like to work around uclinux which has NO support from VisualDSP, and -2- i have no money to buy a copy of VisualDSP for my hobby's projects, so i'd better go for OpenSource tools, and finally -3- AnalogDevices has claimed the ADZS-ICE-100B is perfectly supported by UrJtag. I have also opened a thread on UrJtag forum, too.

I have to admit, I'm not planing on developing any commercial product (its for hobby purposes as well), the kit I received from the east was "cracked", with 20 SDK`s from video API`s to audio and imaging encoders and lots of other stuff, all of it works on windows 8 (fortunately) 

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:43:57 am »
I think this page is not updated about VisualDSP, it says:

Upgrading firmware

In order to work with the open source tools, your ICE has to have a firmware version of at least 2.0.8. The firmware can be upgraded by using VisualDSP 5.0 update 8 or greater on a Windows machine or through latest UrJTAG.

The update takes about 3 minutes. After updating, the ICE-100B cable needs to be unplugged and reconnected to finish the updating process.

Download the latest firmware for ICE-100B ice100b_firmware_2_0_8.zip and unzip it.

Using VisualDSP

Once installed, connect the ICE-100b via USB to the PC and install the device driver.
Open the VisualDSP++ Configurator and click the Test button.
The ICE-100b should be automatically detected.
Click start and you should be informed that the firmware is being updated.

but there is no option to upload the new firmware through VisualDSP.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:15 am »
To summarize external topics:

- topic on UrJtag forum.
- topic on ADI forum

I also see similar topics, which shows other kind of issues, e.g. ice-100b bfin-gdbproxy bfin-elf-gdb debug problem  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf