Author Topic: Analog Front End Chip or/and Analog-SoC | Suggestions?  (Read 4311 times)

Offline lorthTopic starter

• Contributor
Analog Front End Chip or/and Analog-SoC | Suggestions?
« on: March 11, 2016, 02:12:48 am »
Hey all!

So I've been looking for an "Analog Front End" chip, that would include a bunch of OPamps, with multiple topologies (fixed or not), voltage references, current sources, mixers filters...

These components,  should work from DC (<10KHz, so no SDR frontends like R820T or AD9364...) but I haven't had much luck finding anything.

So, what I'm looking for is on the line of the Analog part of the  PSoC5LP, or a Anadigm's FPAA. It does not need to be an "analog FPGA" ie, reconfigurable, but it would be nice, though.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

Offline Scrts

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Analog Front End Chip or/and Analog-SoC | Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 02:18:03 pm »
Did you check AFEs at Analog Devices? Not sure if they can do from DC, but maybe you will find something.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 02:26:03 pm »
I did a search for these kind of parts in the past, but they are either unobtanium, the performance is pathetic, expensive or application specific.
If you like general purpose analog stuff, check the AD5592R.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 03:31:50 pm »
What kind of sampling rate and bandwidth are you after?

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 01:39:12 pm »
PSOC comes with a .1% reference, costs have dropped substantially,
software gui based drag and drop, has ohmmeter tool for routing evalu-
ation. SAR to 12 bits, DelSig to 20 bits.

What resolution, accuracy, common mode, precision are you seeking ?

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 12:27:03 am by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline autobot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 01:14:53 am »
I think renesas have some programmable AFE's. If you use them, please share your experiences , because there's not a lot of info about them.

Offline lorthTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:28:24 am »
Thanks for your replies!

As for performance, i'm looking at BW <10MHz, >10b of DACs/ADCs, components with <1%Accu, low Is (<10pA) and Vos (<1mV) for the Opamps (decent GBW >20MHz), possibility for filters...

I will check Renesas and let you know.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »
I think renesas have some programmable AFE's. If you use them, please share your experiences , because there's not a lot of info about them.
I would not hold my breath for Renesas. Usually they are the NDA guys, who will not be talking to you unless six digit orders. And then you dont need to ask, because you are told to use them.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 10:48:26 pm »
Here is a mostly complete list of the modules you can instantiate in a PSOC (not ALL
at once, chip is limited by total amount of logic, but its big enough with multiple
resources to do most applications w/o external stuff) -

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2016, 12:05:09 am »

Thanks for your replies!

As for performance, i'm looking at BW <10MHz, >10b of DACs/ADCs, components with <1%Accu, low Is (<10pA) and Vos (<1mV) for the Opamps (decent GBW >20MHz), possibility for filters...

You can do all that with a PSoC5LP. It's insanely flexible! It has a highly configurable series of internal analog busses that are completely separate from the digital section of the chip.

The only analog limitation I've run into is the inputs only support unipolar levels (0-5V), so you can't process bipolar signals without an external opamp for level shifting. (Well, I guess you could use -2.5V for VSSA and 2.5V for VDDA and then level shift the digital I/O or perhaps you could use GND for VSSD and 2.5V for VCCD? Hmmm, I might have to try that...
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline splin

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 07:01:14 pm »

Thanks for your replies!

You can do all that with a PSoC5LP. It's insanely flexible! It has a highly configurable series of internal analog busses that are completely separate from the digital section of the chip.

The only analog limitation I've run into is the inputs only support unipolar levels (0-5V), so you can't process bipolar signals without an external opamp for level shifting. (Well, I guess you could use -2.5V for VSSA and 2.5V for VDDA and then level shift the digital I/O or perhaps you could use GND for VSSD and 2.5V for VCCD? Hmmm, I might have to try that...

Eh? Apart from <1% accuracy, PSoC5LP doesn't appear to meet any of the requirements with 12 bit ADC limited to 192kSPS (you need 20MSPS minimum per channel). The opamp's Ib is specified at 10pA typical so perhaps 10nA max (not specified), GPW only 3MHz min and Vos 2mV. I seriously doubt you will find anything to meet your requirements if I haven't misunderstood your need for high speed ADCs and/or DACs.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 07:51:21 pm »
Eh? Apart from <1% accuracy, PSoC5LP doesn't appear to meet any of the requirements with 12 bit ADC limited to 192kSPS (you need 20MSPS minimum per channel). The opamp's Ib is specified at 10pA typical so perhaps 10nA max (not specified), GPW only 3MHz min and Vos 2mV. I seriously doubt you will find anything to meet your requirements if I haven't misunderstood your need for high speed ADCs and/or DACs.
Ask anyone, they will tell you that the Psoc is good for EVERYTHING. I seriously doubt I've ever seen so many fanboys, PIC guys included. Because Psoc has some 10 cent opamps integrated.

Online Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 08:52:27 pm »

Those are some pretty aggressive specs even for individual opamps ... good luck.

Do you really need continuous input? If you can occasionally ground it then Vos is irrelevant.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf