Author Topic: Any Lattice MachXO2 (PLD/FPGA) Design Advice?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline SarcareanTopic starter

• Contributor
Any Lattice MachXO2 (PLD/FPGA) Design Advice?
« on: September 23, 2018, 10:51:53 am »
Hi everyone! Thought I would ask this here before I send my design to production.

I have a board that uses a MAX V (5M570Z) CPLD and because my application has become more memory dependent, I am migrating to the LCMXO2-4000HC in order to use the distributed RAM and/or embedded block ram, which should fix my performance issues.

Is there anything out of the ordinary I should consider? I am new to using Lattice parts :)

The MAX V has two banks, the left bank I connected to the MCU and the right bank to the memory device. For the LCMXO2, which has 5 banks, I connected Bank 0 and 2 to the MCU (and same VCCIO), and BANK 1,3,5 to the memory device (and VCCIO).

I have all hardened protocols connected: JTAG, SPI, I2C, and the dedicated programming pins (PRGMN, INITN, DONE) connected to the MCU.

For clocking, I have 3 input sources: 2 of the MCU's PCK and a 40MHZ MEMS wired like this:
40MHZ MEMS Oscillator = PCLKC0_1
MCU_PCK0 = PCLKC2_0
MCU_PCK1 = PCLKT2_1

But the rest of the clock/pll pins are NC. To future proof my design, is there anything I should connect to them? They are:
L_GPLLT_FB, L_GPLLC_FB, L_GPLLT_IN, L_GPLLC_IN, L_GPLLT_FB, L_GPLLC_FB, L_GPLLT_IN, L_GPLLC_IN

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Online SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Any Lattice MachXO2 (PLD/FPGA) Design Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:40 pm »
AFAIR, PCLKT* inputs are "true" clock inputs and PCLKC* are "complementary". Not 100% sure that it matters when dealing with single-ended clocks, but I would connect your 40 MHz oscillator's output (which I assume is single-ended) to a PCLKT* input instead of PCLKC0_1. This is what I've always done with single-ended clocks on those FPGAs. You may check in the datasheet if it really matters or not.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 05:43:31 pm by SiliconWizard »

Offline SarcareanTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Any Lattice MachXO2 (PLD/FPGA) Design Advice?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:49:46 am »
Excellent suggestion! I read the "MachXO2 sysCLOCK PLL Design and Usage Guide" but it didn't register with me the 8 clock inputs were split into groups of 2 for clock diff. So I assume that you can only use one of the pins or both, but only for the same clock source (either a single clock or diff. clock pair).

So I changed my clocks to this (all clock sources on the same bank scheme (0 and 2)):
MEMS 40MHz to PCLKT0_1
MCU_PCK1 to PCLKT2_0
MCU_PCK0 to PCLKT2_1

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf