Author Topic: Any MCUs out there with good ADC and a USB connection?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Esposch T. TapirTopic starter

• Contributor
Any MCUs out there with good ADC and a USB connection?
« on: March 23, 2015, 04:54:53 am »
As the title suggests, wondering if anyone knew of a decent micro with both a fast ADC and USB modulator.
Ideally would have a multi-channel 500ksps+ ADC, plus on-chip USB (12Mb/s full speed), a DAC or two and a PWM.

I've looked around and the PIC32MX series stands out.  It has all of the features I need and costs about US$1.50 in 5k quantities.
Does anyone know of anything a bit cheaper/faster/better, though?  Or am I really not going to get much better than that?

Cheers,
~Chris
Bachelor of Engineering (ECSE) with Honours.
Every time I write a line of code or build a circuit I am reminded that, in the grand scheme of things, I know bugger all.

Offline marus25

Re: Any MCUs out there with good ADC and a USB connection?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 05:38:30 pm »
I'd look into the STM32F3 series, the STM32F303 line in particular.

Cortex-M4F core with up to 512 kB Flash and 80 kB SRAM. Seems to hit all of your points (and then some)

- Up to four ADCs (depending on particular chip) each capable of running at 5 MSPS (you can do up to 18 MSPS interleaved using one with all 4 ADCs)
- Up to 2 12-bit DACs
- Up to 10 16-bit timers and 1 32bit timer for PWM outputs
- USB device

Also - STMs devices tend to be relatively cheap compared to some others; and have cheap development boards (Nucleo and Discovery series)

Can be programmed with gcc;

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:50:04 pm »
LPC4370 does 12bit 80Mbit ADC + USB 2.0
http://airspy.com/ is one of the products buil around it
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline Esposch T. TapirTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 02:28:53 am »
Thanks for the responses.  :)

Checked what you guys said, and wow does that STM32F303/LPC4370 look nice.

Unfortunately the design is cost-sensitive (plan on doing a 1-10k unit production run - sorry for not mentioning this) so it looks like the XMEGA (A4U) might be the best choice.
$1.67 on Digikey (vs about $1.80 for a STM32F302), easy to source and as mentioned good documentation/IDE/sample code.

Does that sound about right to you guys, or are there much better options out there?
Bachelor of Engineering (ECSE) with Honours.
Every time I write a line of code or build a circuit I am reminded that, in the grand scheme of things, I know bugger all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf