Author Topic: Any PSoC4/5 experts out there?  (Read 2406 times)

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
Any PSoC4/5 experts out there?
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:21:35 am »
Ive been playing with the PSoC chips for a while, there pretty neat seeing as how you get a handfull of parts in 1 chip less than 5 dollars, granted most of these parts are pretty jellybean but sometimes thats all you need :)

Anyways lately I have started to realize that an FPGA or maybe a CPLD is a better route for a few projects I want to do. I dont know much about them and they kind of scare me lol. Ive heard things like it takes close to 5 years to actually get good with them, that is doing more than building some glue logic or peripherals...

I know there are alot of FPGA newb kits out there... but I was wondering if learning to build digital block in an HDL would get me off to a good start. I already own cypress stuff, I know how to use the IDE.. and from what I remember reading it is possible to build your own logic block in an HDL. But how will that translate to an altera/xilinx/lattice product? After using an HDL for PSoC will I be able to pick up on the bigger names and my only learning curve will be the IDE?

I was also wondering if there was a way to build custom analog blocks? If there is I would guess they are made in spice?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: Any PSoC4/5 experts out there?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 02:38:27 am »
Did you try modifying their components? that will give you access to the Verilog code if they used any for that component.

Offline rwgast_lowlevellogicdesinTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • LowLevel-LogicDesign
Re: Any PSoC4/5 experts out there?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:56 pm »
Hmmm, so you could be an HDL guru, and still have a huge learning cure with there IDEs? Which vendor has the most friendly? Which chips do analog synth, there affodable and work with the free tools? Secondly i have heard VHDL is more of the industry standard and is safer to use along with getting you away from a C syntax?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf