Author Topic: VHDL variables.  (Read 6499 times)

Offline GuilTyTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Electronics
Re: VHDL variables.
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:29 pm »

But with variables, if one reads the variable value before changing it in a clocked process, then it is like in signal case, output of a register. But if value of a variable is read (or used in any way) after it is changed, then it is the result from the combination logic feeding that register (simple?). So I think there is nothing inherently bad about using them on an actual hardware, if used correctly. Of course, abuse is easier with variables.

It makes more sense now. As I said, I'm new to VHDL.

I have around 20 bookmarks which have been useful to me in the past. All were found by googling for what I needed to know at the time. Some have been mentioned here already, some may be dead links by now.

It very much depends on what you need for your next problem. I would suggest you start looking for "style guides" or "primers" or "FAQs" and similar, and then understand why they recommend that style.

I find your advice useful. It's way simpler to search for a specific thing.

Thanks to the both of you,

G

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 08:02:42 am »
Do you have any good documentation about VHDL?

Besides the numerous websites I've bookmarked myself, I have two hard copies of VHDL books:

Digital System Design with VHDL by Mark Zwolinski.
This one I would not recommend to start with VHDL (I had to buy this one as one of my first books at uni)

Circuit Design and Simulation with VHDL by Volnei Pedroni.
This is a much better one, to my opinion suitable for starters. Had to buy this one for my second year at uni.

If you search long enough you can find these digitally on the web although I strongly recommend to have a hard copy (at least of the second one).

Offline GuilTyTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Electronics
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »

Besides the numerous websites I've bookmarked myself, I have two hard copies of VHDL books:

Digital System Design with VHDL by Mark Zwolinski.
This one I would not recommend to start with VHDL (I had to buy this one as one of my first books at uni)

Circuit Design and Simulation with VHDL by Volnei Pedroni.
This is a much better one, to my opinion suitable for starters. Had to buy this one for my second year at uni.

If you search long enough you can find these digitally on the web although I strongly recommend to have a hard copy (at least of the second one).

Thank you. Now I'm reading "FPGA PROTOTYPING BY VHDL EXAMPLES " by Pong P. Chu. Maybe it will help someone else too.

G

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf