Author Topic: arduino atmega 328 dip28 future?  (Read 1730 times)

Offline linux-worksTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
arduino atmega 328 dip28 future?
« on: November 22, 2016, 07:41:52 pm »
anyone have any clue as to how long the 'classic' arduino atmega 328 skinnydip thruhole chip will be current and buyable?

I am thinking it won't go away anytime soon, but curious if anyone heard otherwise?

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
Re: arduino atmega 328 dip28 future?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:47 pm »
Now Microchip own Atmel, I would expect they'll be available for a very long time.  Microchip still sell the PIC16C54  which was released in 1989, and over 25 years later there's still 5000+ qty pricebreaks, and reasonable stock levels at MicrochipDirect.   Microchip prefer not to retire anything that's not fatally flawed as long as they have still got a line that can handle the process.  They do however tend to charge boutique pricing for the less popular legacy parts.

Edit: corrected PIC
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:01:55 pm by Ian.M »

Offline linux-worksTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:05:57 pm »
thanks.  I'm hoping they keep the skinnydip version going for a long time to come.  I have a board designed for the smd version of the 328 but since its a DIY oriented kit, I am strongly thinking of converting over to the easier to solder version, the .1 spaced thruhole part.  takes up more room on the board but less hassles in soldering it.

plus, I can bootloader it in a standard socket and not have to hassle with the smd part and the 6pin isp connector.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:13 pm »
I believe it will still last for some years. Atmel/Microchip is still making quite some profit from it, so there's no need to stop manufacturing them.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:14:16 pm »
There should be *just* enough room to put a footprint for the 28-MLF package part, skewed 45 deg to make routing easier within the SPDIP package footprint.  Supply the kit with the SPDIP part and a turned pin socket, but if you ever have supply problems, you've got an alternative - even if you have to reflow it onto the board before shipping.

N.B. if you extend the pads and put a large PTH hole in the centre ground pad,  it can be hand-soldered by anyone who really wants to
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:19:27 pm by Ian.M »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf