Author Topic: Arduino vs. Arduino  (Read 82594 times)

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
Re: Arduino vs. Arduino
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2015, 10:29:40 am »
Arduino, R-Pi, don't have RTC. (Don't know about TI) For a logger, a RTC is kind of necessary...
That's what the expansion header is for, is the idea.
I'll start a separate thread for this with a "boxes & arrows" plan.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2015, 04:10:42 pm »
Hostile as in "outside in Belgian weather for 3 months" not as in "bath of Chlorine trifluoride"...

Need one data point, with time stamp, every second from 5 sensors on two test devices for 3 months non stop.
Saved locally on USB and remotely via wifi.

The electronics are not the focus of the thesis, it's just a part of the tooling, so I want to get boring and reliable stuff.

This litigation shouldn't affect you if all you need are three UNOs.

BTW, you may want to check this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9530

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #202 on: May 26, 2015, 05:03:35 pm »
Thanks - I'll look into it.
Seems interesting...
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2015, 02:06:47 am »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2015, 12:02:53 pm »
Genuino as a new name. How ingenious is that!  :popcorn:
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2015, 03:16:30 pm »
Genuino as a new name. How ingenious is that!  :popcorn:

Yes, its a great' name, and the boards will be 'Made in Manhattan'.

http://makezine.com/2015/05/16/arduino-adafruit-manufacturing-genuino/

Offline samofab

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #206 on: March 04, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
Another piece of the puzzle in the Arduino story came to life:

http://arduinohistory.github.io/

(By the guy who wrote Wiring)

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #207 on: March 04, 2016, 08:37:51 pm »
Another piece of the puzzle in the Arduino story came to life:

http://arduinohistory.github.io/

(By the guy who wrote Wiring)

See this thread for recent discussion of this.

It's an interesting read and I suspect pretty accurate accounting of the history. Although with these type of things there is always more than one side to the story.  The author seems to have a bit of an axe to grind - perhaps justifiably.  But then I'm sure Massimo Banzi has his own perspective and would likely dispute some of what the author presents as facts. Regardless, I'm sure Hernando Barragán deserves more credit than he has gotten.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2016, 04:06:12 pm »
Eh I went to buy a few Arduinos after a year and a half and now I run into this. :D I really don't know what to say, I'm kinda tempted to buy from the .cc guys given how they put in all the work to maintain the IDE, but at the same time I kinda dislike it when design companies fuck their manufacturers over and move production overseas. Also this Barragan article is really not working in favor of the .cc peeps.

I wonder, are all Genuino boards sold in the EU "Assembled in the EU", or have some of you run into Chinese ones?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 04:34:13 pm by Sigmoid »

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2016, 05:21:17 pm »
Buy any arduino you want, but please do send a donation for the IDE software development. That's the only way things will get better. If everyone kicked in a few bucks, good things could happen.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:16 pm »
Buy any arduino you want, but please do send a donation for the IDE software development. That's the only way things will get better. If everyone kicked in a few bucks, good things could happen.
My idea exactly. Things around Arduino are messy but IMHO it is best to buy from the folks who do the actual development.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Richard CrowleyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2016, 09:30:09 pm »
I wonder, are all Genuino boards sold in the EU "Assembled in the EU", or have some of you run into Chinese ones?
There are plenty of Chinese copies, clones, work-alikes, and counterfeits.
And there are work-alikes in every way except claiming any name even resembling Arduino.

Adafruit appears to be actually manufacturing the American product officially for Arduino.
And they make/sell a variety of products in the compatible and work-alike categories without any reference to the official name.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2016, 05:08:35 am »
In the mean time, everyone went meh

I disagree - You have to understand how powerful the arduino brand is.   Yes.  You, me and most people on this forum would buy a generic "atmel 328 dev board" for $4.

But not the general public.  My sister knows what an arduino is - and she's never soldered or programmed anything other then a microwave.  Yet, she knows the name.  Guess what she will buy for her kid - and arduino.

everyone ....started buying Chinese clones for 1/4 of the price...

Nope - only 0.01% of people(guestimate).  Why do you think people come up with names for things like this?  uCurrent? Arduino, Rasberry Pi.  It's all about the brand.

So how will they do the volumes?
Are they expanding their manufacturing?

I can say that adafruit only runs their PNP 8 hours a day.  When visited by samsung PNP guys/gals, the tech were agasp by that. They are use to having the machines to 3-4 shifts.  So I would say they have a ton of capability.  But if you really want to know - ask Phillip during an ask-an-engineer.  I plan to!  I would like to know as well.

Your sister (buying the name brand) is probably typical.  But likely, that would be a one-time purchase and stays in the drawer after blinking the first LED.  Folks who works with it more eventually will learn that there are stuff out there at 1/4 the price.  The second board, the third "shield" or module...  so on, would likely be the 1/4 price clones.

Schools are perhaps the more reliable name-brand purchasers.  Schools are spending tax-payer money.  There is no such thing as "too expensive" when someone else is paying.

Speaking of schools, I am in the school of thought that he who owns the IDE owns the show.  Arduino.org can make whatever board they want to make, if Arduino.cc (say now called itself MCU-4-U) doesn't support it, how is this Arduino-Minus-One  even going to blink the first LED? (Uno was last year, Zero was yesterday, now into sign bit must flip).

Without the IDE, in a few months, even schools will stop buying them.  Most teachers will need the IDE's example "blink" to run before they would (could) include it in their class.  For the many other schools that may keep the Minus, they would likely not leave school-grounds (because without IDE example "blink", it could seem so difficult to blink the silly LED).  So they cannot expect students to be revenue streams.  At some point as support drops, even the Chinese Cloners will stop making cheap modules for the "minus" -- because here is no ready-made library for their cloned modules and they wont invest in writing it themselves.  The lack of general enthusiast support will quickly kill the whole line.  Lacking such omnipresence support, Arduino-Minus-Two will never get off the drawing board.

Can you imagine Google without google.com?  That would be Arduino without IDE.

MCU-4-U can just find other revenue source, such as $ for official-seal of support.  More dollars to have better integration into the IDE, and may be links to the shop...

I think IDE is the real show here...

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
he who owns the IDE owns the show.
Sure, in theory.  But the IDE doesn't generate any income, nor do the forums.

Arduino.org can make whatever board they want to make, if Arduino.cc doesn't support it, how is this Arduino-Minus-One  even going to blink the first LED?
"Supporting" a board to the extent of having blink work is pretty trivial, and Arduino.org is probably quite capable of doing that themselves.  Or "partnering" with a chip vendor to have that done (Arduino 101).  Supporting the full "Arduino core" isn't too much more difficult.  Supporting the full set of "standard arduino libraries" is harder, and supporting "all the arduino libraries and examples that have ever been posted on the Internet" is close to impossible.  (Arduino Due, from arduino.cc, has languished somewhere in that state of limbo where "too much doesn't work right", despite several years of "support.")
I'll be very curious to see how the arduino.org "Otto" does.
For their next board ("Primo"), arduino.org is essentially soliciting outside developers by offering free hardware.  (Which is somewhat how Open Source happens.  But it's still pretty scary, given that it's a triple-core wonder-board and I'm not sure how it's supposed to work.)

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:29 pm »
he who owns the IDE owns the show.
Sure, in theory.  But the IDE doesn't generate any income, nor do the forums.

Yeah, that is why I closed the last reply with:
 if Arduino.cc (say now called itself MCU-4-U)
MCU-4-U can just find other revenue source, such as $ for official-seal of support.  More dollars to have better integration into the IDE, and may be links to the shop...

I think IDE is the real show here...

"Official seal of support" will do well for manufacturers such as Adafruit (which I use) and Sparkfun (which I also use).  They have to think of some way to get some money out of those using the Chinese clones.  They are not likely to want to spend any money on it.

Perhaps a "per download of IDE", $ for extended help, what not.  Finding a revenue source that can eliminate or leverage the cloning issue is the game.

May be lobby congress to extend the anti-human cloning law to cover MCU devices...  Congressman, oops, not PC, I mean Congress-persons...  Congress-persons by-and-large are so stupid there will be congressman who vote for it at a modest contribution.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2016, 04:22:08 pm »
I make a habit of donating a few bucks when I download the IDE. But, if you want to kill Arduino for good, just charge for the software.  Even a $1/download paywall would start riots. "Makers" do NOT pay for software. This has been covered here so many times it shouldn't even need restating.

Saleae clones, Rigol hacks, FTDI drivers, Eagle ... the only acceptable price for software to a "maker" is free or the effort it takes to steal it. 

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2016, 01:18:48 pm »
Saleae clones, Rigol hacks, FTDI drivers, Eagle ... the only acceptable price for software to a "maker" is free or the effort it takes to steal it. 

I should put this on a t shirt and wear it at the next faire

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf