Author Topic: ATMEGA 328P Crystal pf  (Read 6801 times)

Offline ianscottTopic starter

• Contributor
ATMEGA 328P Crystal pf
« on: May 07, 2014, 02:46:18 am »
Hi I'm ordering parts from digikey and I'm not sure what crystal I need,  I'm Running a ATMEGA 328p with 22pf capacitors (399-8034-1-ND). I Have found two types of crystals a 16mhz 20pf (X1103-ND) and  16mhz 18pf (CTX1085-ND). Which one should I go for. The 18pf's are cheaper.

Also Would anyone know the exact crystals the arduino uno boards use something similar to those would work for me.

Thanks Ian

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: ATMEGA 328P Crystal pf
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 04:34:38 am »
Hi I'm ordering parts from digikey and I'm not sure what crystal I need,  I'm Running a ATMEGA 328p with 22pf capacitors (399-8034-1-ND). I Have found two types of crystals a 16mhz 20pf (X1103-ND) and  16mhz 18pf (CTX1085-ND). Which one should I go for. The 18pf's are cheaper.

Also Would anyone know the exact crystals the arduino uno boards use something similar to those would work for me.

Thanks Ian

I had good success with 328P and resonators with internal capacitors. For example
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/CSTCE16M0V53-R0/490-1198-1-ND/584635 for smd (there are also through hole versions).  Accuracy ~1% which was good for my application.

As for your crystal, i think both should be fine.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 04:58:27 am »

Thanks Ian

Actually the present generation of Arduino Uno and mega boards (rev3) don't utilize crystal resonators but rather use 3 terminal ceramic resonators that have internal padding caps.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 05:03:23 am »

Thanks Ian

It's probably not going to matter a lot realistically, unless you really want to really hit the marks as it were.  Either will be fine.

If you want to get into specifics though, there is a formula for calculating the capacitor values, given the load capacitance of the crystal from a datasheet.

CX = 2(CL - Cstray)

CX is the capacitor value you use (assuming you use the same value for both caps),
CL is the load capacitance specified by the crystal
Cstray is stray capacitance inherent in the construction

Let's say you call the stray capacitance 5pF, that means for
  Crystal 1 which has 20pF load, each capacitor should be 2(20-5) = 30pF
  Crystal 2 which has 18pF load, 2(18-5) = 26pF

I'd probably use the 18pF one, because it's cheaper.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 05:04:06 am »
If you want to know more about it, and *shock* *horror* actually get an idea how to calculate this, get Atmel's application note 042.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:26:14 am »
Before you commit to Digikey check Tayda:
http://www.taydaelectronics.com/crystals-resonators-oscilliators/crystals.html
They are based in Thailand but I get everything within a week in the USA. Somehow they ship from Colorado.
For simple components is much cheaper than Digikey and Mouser. All the more rare parts I get from Mouser or DigiKey.
:)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:02:18 am »
Which one should I go for. The 18pf's are cheaper.

They are the same performance-wise. I would go with the 18pf ones because it is cheaper.

Those arduino guys messed up on that one: they used ceramic resonators - a penny or so cheaper but much worse in stability / phase noise. I would either stay with a crystal or use the internal oscillator.

================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Online linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 03:01:02 pm »
I've gotton nothing but low quality fakes and junk from 'tayda'.  I would never send them another order.

re: arduinos, I use the resonators on my atmel builds and they work fine, don't take up that much room and don't need caps.  what's not to like? ;)

Offline casinada

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 03:26:38 pm »
Which parts were fakes? I would like to know. Did you contact them to tell them about the fakes? :(

Online linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 03:55:14 pm »
yes, I wrote back and was able to return them.

I took a photo of the fake trimmers, for example.  it was hilarious!  every conceivable faked name you could think of.   we had quite a laugh about it on some other forums...

of course, there is only one BOURNS, and the others were clearly intended to look like the B-brand but I wanted no part of that BS.

they were advertised as bourns brand and yet I got a mix of good and not-so-good stuff in that order.

the ic sockets I ordered had plastic that would melt if you soldered to the pins.  same with pin headers.  I forgot what else I ordered but it was ALL junk and fakes.  I have zero trust in that vendor after that.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:41 am »
I'm not sure what crystal I need,  I'm Running a ATMEGA 328p with 22pf capacitors
Properly, one picks a crystal based on accuracy, cost, size, and etc, and then calculates the capacitors needed for that particular crystal.  Picking the caps first and asking which crystal to get is backward.

That said, nearly any parallel-resonant crystal will "work" in the arduino circuit.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 01:43:38 am »
yes, I wrote back and was able to return them.

I took a photo of the fake trimmers, for example.  it was hilarious!  every conceivable faked name you could think of.   we had quite a laugh about it on some other forums...

of course, there is only one BOURNS, and the others were clearly intended to look like the B-brand but I wanted no part of that BS.

they were advertised as bourns brand and yet I got a mix of good and not-so-good stuff in that order.

They do not appear to be advertised as Bourns. Never seen them advertised as such. Revise your expectations.

the ic sockets I ordered had plastic that would melt if you soldered to the pins.  same with pin headers.

You're too slow. I use plenty of their sockets and headers, they work fine. No, they're not expensive gold plated fairy-dust parts, but they work.

I forgot what else I ordered but it was ALL junk and fakes.  I have zero trust in that vendor after that.

Can't be fake if it doesn't claim to be 'real'.

I really think you were expecting too much.

Online linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 02:12:53 am »
I'm too slow?  you've seen me solder?  you know my ability, do you?

(wow)

go ahead and think that.

but that seller sells JUNK and I know my parts quality, thankyouverymuch.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 02:15:25 am »
I'm too slow?  you've seen me solder?  you know my ability, do you?

(wow)

go ahead and think that.

If you're managing to melt the same parts I have no problems with.. yes!

but that seller sells JUNK and I know my parts quality, thankyouverymuch.

Yes, they do sell some junk. They also sell some perfectly good, genuine, branded components.

Your expectations. Revise them. You are not going to get expensive Bourns trimpots from a hobby distributor in Thailand!

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 03:10:19 am »
(I think I've been buying cheap sockets in general, forever.  Most of them will melt if I'm not "quick."  I guess I HAVE seen SOME less melt-y varieties, but they've been clearly in the "they want HOW MUCH for a SOCKET?!" category...)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 07:34:06 am »
If you want to get into specifics though, there is a formula for calculating the capacitor values, given the load capacitance of the crystal from a datasheet.

CX = 2(CL - Cstray)

CX is the capacitor value you use (assuming you use the same value for both caps),
CL is the load capacitance specified by the crystal
Cstray is stray capacitance inherent in the construction

I always assume that Cstray ~ 0,  and CX = CL.  No problem so far but I should spend more time reading the datasheet. ;-)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 08:02:50 am »
based on the previous post to yours, if Cstray is ~0 wouldn't that mean that:

CX = 2*CL ?

But I only read the last two posts :)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 12:27:47 pm »
In a typical pierce oscillator the two capacitors are in serial and then parallel with the stray capacitance (which is not negligible vs. the load capacitance).
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf