Author Topic: Atmel ATF22V10C fails blank test with Genius G540 Programmer  (Read 2762 times)

Offline SainttronicsTopic starter

• Contributor
  • Live long and solder...
Have been banging my head off the wall these past few days.
I have been trying to program some Atmel ATF22V10C PLDs (2 different batches, as I though it was a device issue) with no luck.
Keep getting an error with the Blank Test.
Tried programming some Lattice GAL16V8 (old stock) and they program fine.
I'm using a USB Genius G540 programmer, as I lost the ISA card for my old trusty & crusty ALL-02 Universal Programmer that has never failed me.

Tried rewiring the PLCC-28 to DIP-24 socket as it thought it has something to do with the unconnected VCC & GND pins, no luck.
Tried a different manufacturer of the device and again no luck.

Was thinking that maybe I could edit the setup file for the device I could solve this problem.
Have tried my Google Fu, but it has failed me.
I can't seem to find anything on the STG file formats which I am assuming are the device setup files.

Anyone have any luck with this device on the G540?
I am using version V5.2 of the software for the G540, not sure if this is the most up to date version, as it has a date stamp of 2012.

Regards

Brian

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
Re: Atmel ATF22V10C fails blank test with Genius G540 Programmer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 11:03:46 pm »
What do you get when you read them?

ATF PLDs need to be 'conditioned' before programming, by writing a blank pattern and erasing it twice. Here's how to do it according to the hed.chip programmer manual:-

ATF16V8, ATF20V8, ATF22V10, ATF1500

Atmel specifies that these PLD devices with FLASH memory technology have to be conditioned prior to initial programming (ATF1500: prior to every programming). This means that the whole device is completely programmed twice with 0, and erased again afterwards. Verifying errors can be ignored during conditioning. A JEDEC file suitable for conditioning is part of the software supplied with hed.chip. Example for ATF20V8:

hedchip /ga20v8 /p/e conditio.jed ; program once

hedchip /ga20v8 /p/e conditio.jed ; program twice

hedchip /ga20v8 /e/v ; erase, blank check

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 08:50:43 pm »
Thanks for the tip, I#ll give it a try and let you know how I got on.
Fingers crossed.
Regards

Brian

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
Well after trying the condition.jed file and the steps as suggested. I did go to the HED web site and read their documents on these devices and tried a few other steps with no joy. I have gone off and ordered some National PLD's as its been suggested that these will work. For the little projects that I have, it may not be worth the effort.
Here are the screen shots from the G540 programmer software which show the before and after fuse map.

As I have some GAL16V8's that have tested and work with this programmer.
If the National devices don't work, I'll just use two GAL16V8's for the same purpose.

Regards

Brian

Offline Bruce Abbott

• Frequent Contributor
    • Bruce Abbott's R/C Models and Electronics
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 10:53:27 pm »
Bummer, looks like it's not compatible.

Next week I will be ordering some ATF22V10CQZ's to try in my own programmer. This is  a "zero power" PLD that only draws 5uA static, ramping up to 40mA at 25MHz. Standard GAL22V10's draw up to 130mA continuously.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 03:46:16 pm »
I know that I'll be pulling more current with the National GAL's but for the prototype it's OK. I'm going to order a more professional programmer once I get confirmation that it will program a list of devices that I use. Then I can forget about this problem, and I'll put the G540 into my portable field kit.

Thanks for the assistance.  :-+
Regards

Brian

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf