Author Topic: Atmel-ICE 50% Off  (Read 5490 times)

Offline deepskyridgeTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Atmel-ICE 50% Off
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:38:08 pm »
Microchip has the Atmel-ICE full kit available for 50% off, throught Feb-28.

Coupon Code: TP1747

I just purchased one for $65.

I have no connection or affiliation with Microchip.

Gary

The following users thanked this post: Aodhan145

Offline dcarr

• Regular Contributor
Re: Atmel-ICE 50% Off
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 05:56:27 pm »
Do any of the open source tools work with Atmel-ICE?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 06:12:54 pm »
I have had all kinds of trouble with mine - still trying to figure out if it is not a good tool or if there is something I am doing wrong.

It worked, then it didn't. Then it worked again. Now it doesn't. I 'fixed' it by adding PID/VID filters, sort of.

Right now I cannot get it to function at all in Atmel Studio or avrdude for programming 8bit devices. Really hoping to get the debugwire on the ICE to work (which is why I got it)
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:16:33 pm »
For the ARM side, Atmel-ICE is yet another CMSIS-DAP debug probe, so OpenOCD would work OOB. On the AVR side, AFAIK you need to build the current trunk of avarice with libhidapi and libusb-1.0.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 06:21:01 pm »
I have had all kinds of trouble with mine - still trying to figure out if it is not a good tool or if there is something I am doing wrong.

It worked, then it didn't. Then it worked again. Now it doesn't. I 'fixed' it by adding PID/VID filters, sort of.

Right now I cannot get it to function at all in Atmel Studio or avrdude for programming 8bit devices. Really hoping to get the debugwire on the ICE to work (which is why I got it)
Check the USB power delivery since this thing can draw a lot of power. What is your machine/motherboard? Have you tried inserting an externally powered USB Hub in between? Is your device on the latest firmware?

Mine always worked. My machines are a MacBook Pro and a Hackintosh based on Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard. All of my USB hubs are externally powered too.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:00:34 pm »
Check the USB power delivery since this thing can draw a lot of power. What is your machine/motherboard? Have you tried inserting an externally powered USB Hub in between? Is your device on the latest firmware?

Mine always worked. My machines are a MacBook Pro and a Hackintosh based on Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H motherboard. All of my USB hubs are externally powered too.

The latest effort it was connected to a powered USB3 hub, Atmel Studio forced a firmware update which was successful.

In the heat of the moment, I had to push it off to the side and use an old Atmel AVR ISP MKII just to get boards programmed. Still hoping to get the debug to work for development.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2018, 07:11:18 pm »
The latest effort it was connected to a powered USB3 hub, Atmel Studio forced a firmware update which was successful.

In the heat of the moment, I had to push it off to the side and use an old Atmel AVR ISP MKII just to get boards programmed. Still hoping to get the debug to work for development.
Maybe test it later on that powered USB hub. It should be working by now.

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:52:31 am »

ATMEL Studio is free.  IMO the way you pay for ATMEL Studio is to buy one of their programmers/debuggers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 05:15:44 am »
Oh, bother. I thought the yearly discount was last December as I had been waiting for it, but this is a much better discount. I could have saved myself 35 bucks. I haven't even used the kit since I bought it.   :palm:

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline djnz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 10:08:59 am »
I cannot believe how flimsy the supplied cables are. Not made to last AT ALL. AVR ISP mk2, ST Link V2 cables are of far superior quality.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 10:43:53 am »
I cannot believe how flimsy the supplied cables are. Not made to last AT ALL. AVR ISP mk2, ST Link V2 cables are of far superior quality.
That filmsiness of the cables comes with the 1.27mm insulation displacement connector, as specified in the CoreSight debug interface.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 02:20:50 pm »
You can easily make replacement cables. Infact this is what I've done as bundled cable was too short.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 04:50:14 pm »

The cable supplied on the tiny header is a bad design choice. Have they ever used this on a real bench?

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 02:52:55 pm »
Awww man....we used these at my last job. POS. They worked, then mysteriously, they just stopped working. We ended up just buying over a dozen of them because we needed a back up to the back up. Then when those broke, we bought a few board only ones to replace the boards in the broken units. Then I got an intern to look up how to reset them to get them working again. It was this nasty cycle.

Online ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 06:09:42 pm »
I've never had much issue with the Atmel ICE generally (no more so than with any other debugger/IDE, anyway), but the cable situation is definitely annoying.  A while ago I made a PCB that plugs into the end of the ICE and provides 100-mil headers so that standard 6/10-pin AVRISP cables and more reasonable 100-mil squid cables can be used.  It also corrects the pinout from the stupid backwards one Atmel has so that more readily-available straight-through 50mil ribbon cables can be used.

The design is shared on OSH Park, and I can share the Altium/gerber files if anyone wants as well.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, JoeO, djnz, Mr. Scram, bobdring

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 06:16:08 pm »
I've never had much issue with the Atmel ICE generally (no more so than with any other debugger/IDE, anyway), but the cable situation is definitely annoying.  A while ago I made a PCB that plugs into the end of the ICE and provides 100-mil headers so that standard 6/10-pin AVRISP cables and more reasonable 100-mil squid cables can be used.  It also corrects the pinout from the stupid backwards one Atmel has so that more readily-available straight-through 50mil ribbon cables can be used.

The design is shared on OSH Park, and I can share the Altium/gerber files if anyone wants as well.

LOL....that is awesome!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 12:38:55 am »
Awww man....we used these at my last job. POS. They worked, then mysteriously, they just stopped working. We ended up just buying over a dozen of them because we needed a back up to the back up. Then when those broke, we bought a few board only ones to replace the boards in the broken units. Then I got an intern to look up how to reset them to get them working again. It was this nasty cycle.

Glad I am not the only one.....I only have one and never know what to expect.

Offline donotdespisethesnake

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded stuff
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 08:43:06 am »
Then I got an intern to look up how to reset them to get them working again.

What is the trick to resetting them?
Bob
"All you said is just a bunch of opinions."

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 02:01:52 am »
Then I got an intern to look up how to reset them to get them working again.

What is the trick to resetting them?

Something about downgrading then upgrading the firmware again.  Not sure. I had to give him busy work, so that is what I had around at that time. i would have cared, but we were about to start moving over to STM32 micros. People are mentioning the cables, so I wonder if the cable was the issue the whole time and it just magically worked when he tried his solution. Regardless, I so do not miss that platform.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 10:57:48 am »
Estimated shipping date end of May...? Ugh

Offline JustMeHere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 05:00:56 am »
Estimated shipping date end of May...? Ugh

I got mine in two days even though the estimated shipping date was May.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf