Author Topic: Atmel programmer from Ebay  (Read 7961 times)

Offline DavidDLCTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Atmel programmer from Ebay
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
I have never used a programmer for Atmel, and I want to start working with these controllers.

Is this a good generic programmer for most of the Atmel controllers ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-programmer-AVRISP-mkII-mk2-clone-ATMEL-AVR-Fit-51-Series-ATmega-PWM-ATtiny-/300939395901?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item461162c33d

Does any have experience with it ?

Any recommendation ?

I have Windows 8.1

David.

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Atmel programmer from Ebay
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 06:01:42 pm »
I use a USBasp programmer. Works like a charm with AVRDude, AVRDudes, Atmel Studio 6.2 and the Arduino IDE.

There are a lot of sellers for this programmer. It is designed by Thomas Fischl

There are a lot of clones, for example on Aliexpress

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:12:55 pm »
Perfect, thank you very much.

David.

Offline balu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:15:15 pm »
Hi David,

You should check the AT AVR DRAGON from Atmel. This unit is a development board and a programmer. This unit also allowing ISP, High Voltage Serial Programming , JTAG and  DebugWIRE debugging for a wide range of AVR 8/32Bit microcontroller. The DRAGON works fine with Atmel Studio.

Offline Brutte

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 08:05:41 pm »
I have never used a programmer for Atmel and I want to start working with these controllers.
Anything specific? What is so fascinating in Atmel's uCs, Mr. Fanboy? Do you have the Atmel's logo tattooed on a butt or what?
If you want a history lesson (and the tattoo hasn't faded out yet), try their 8051 or AVR.

Offline f1rmb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:46:53 pm »
I have never used a programmer for Atmel and I want to start working with these controllers.
Anything specific? What is so fascinating in Atmel's uCs, Mr. Fanboy? Do you have the Atmel's logo tattooed on a butt or what?
If you want a history lesson (and the tattoo hasn't faded out yet), try their 8051 or AVR.

Had a bad day ?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 11:03:33 pm »
be mindful of your thought... :facepalm: what you said can be exactly you. history lesson is good but in this particular case, and usually regarding technological advancement, lest forget the history and stand where we are today... please dont make a bad day for people otherwise please go away...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ralphd

• Frequent Contributor
    • Nerd Ralph
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 02:48:17 am »
I use a USBasp programmer. Works like a charm with AVRDude, AVRDudes, Atmel Studio 6.2 and the Arduino IDE.

I second the recommendation.  I prefer the LCSoft version that has 3.3V/5V power, and a self-program jumper.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING-1LOT-New-USBASP-USBISP-AVR-Programmer-USB-ATMEGA8-ATMEGA128-Support-Win7-64K/817846333.html
There's no capacitor on the 3.3V output, so I recommend adding one.  I found it easy to solder a 0805 MLCC between the 3.3V regulator out and gnd pins.
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth. Einstein

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 08:09:30 am »
hi
to my knowledge it will only work with atmel studio 4.
hope that's helpful :)

Offline rickselectricalprojects

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:15:03 am »

hi, i am just starting out in microcontrollers (i am 14) and i cannot afford a official programmer (like a avrisp just yet) , so how did you get it to work with atmel studio 6? thanks  :)

Offline JSTFLK

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:27 am »
+1 for USBasp.

I have an authentic MKII but never use it since the cheapo programmer also powers my breadboard.   

I'll chime in on the AVR bandwagon too. I have lots of boards. Altera, ST, Cypress, PIC etc and usually end up playing around with Atmel chips since they are easy to use, cover the simple stuff very well and have TONS of code floating around on the internet for common tasks. Great learning tool IMO even though the competition is cheaper and more advanced.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 08:52:35 pm »
Hi David,

You should check the AT AVR DRAGON from Atmel. This unit is a development board and a programmer. This unit also allowing ISP, High Voltage Serial Programming , JTAG and  DebugWIRE debugging for a wide range of AVR 8/32Bit microcontroller. The DRAGON works fine with Atmel Studio.

I'd strongly consider the Atmel ICE instead of the Dragon these days.  It's available for about the same price (if you get the kit that only has one adapter cable), and supports all of Atmel's AVRs and ARMs via every protocol except HVPP/HVSP.  Debugging ought to be much faster, too, but I haven't really compared.  The Dragon is probably the way to go if you really need high voltage programming or a ZIF socket, otherwise it's not nearly as attractive as it was when the JTAG-ICE was still $200.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:45 pm »
I'd strongly consider the Atmel ICE instead of the Dragon these days.  It's available for about the same price (if you get the kit that only has one adapter cable), and supports all of Atmel's AVRs and ARMs via every protocol except HVPP/HVSP.  Debugging ought to be much faster, too, but I haven't really compared.  The Dragon is probably the way to go if you really need high voltage programming or a ZIF socket, otherwise it's not nearly as attractive as it was when the JTAG-ICE was still $200.

This. For the long time, Dragon was the de facto standard, recommended by default, hobbyist-level official Atmel programmer. This has changed with the Atmel-ICE going down in price to the Dragon level. Atmel-ICE is the current mid-range go-to programmer/debugger. It is the one getting new parts support and regular firmware updates with new Atmel Studio releases. My recommendation is, if 50 bucks is not a problem, go for it. I'd say do yourself a favor and get an official tool. You'll get your fair share of head scratching while debugging your projects and code - the last thing you want is debugging your debug tool. The pretty much only practical use for HV programming (the feature Dragon has and ICE lacks) would be reflashing AVR fuse bits after you lock yourself out, so be careful with those. As for the speed, while I don't have any figures for the classic 8-bit AVR chips (other than "much faster"), I've done a test with dumping of the contents of an UC3A1512 micro (AVR32, 512kB of Flash) and it was 15 seconds vs. 95 seconds in favor of Atmel-ICE. ICE does SAM (Atmel ARM series) as well.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 02:57:24 am »
I already ordered a USBasp based programmer, thank all for the positive replies.

David.

Offline PeterFW

• Frequent Contributor
    • Stuff that goes boom
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:58 am »
Mhm... one thing you should consider that most of these "3rd party" programmers have one flaw.
They work fine on 5V devices but only some work with 3.3V devices.

The AVR ISP MK2 has one serious advantage, it will masure the target device voltage and adjust the interface voltage acordingly.

I have one of these chap ones somewere, i bought it back when the AVR ISP MK2 was fairly expensive but retired it quickly and got myself a "proper" programmer.

Offline JohnnyBerg

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2015, 08:07:45 am »
Mhm... one thing you should consider that most of these "3rd party" programmers have one flaw.
They work fine on 5V devices but only some work with 3.3V devices.

Mine has a 3.3 / 5V jumper. Works flawless.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf