Author Topic: ATMEL SAMC21  (Read 2115 times)

Offline BocaDevTopic starter

• Contributor
ATMEL SAMC21
« on: August 17, 2018, 06:13:54 pm »

Hello

I have been tasked to update a product that has an 8051 and discovered the ATMEL SAMC21, mainly because of it's 5V operating capability to be a good drop-in with little changes to the existing hardware.

I have been looking into this microcontroller, however I'm not sure about the acquisition by Microchip. So I was wondering if anyone may have some guidance in this area? I don't want to begin my processor update project and then find out it's going EOL a year later or so.

As for the software, I have seen other post about the Atmel Studio 7 not being a good development tool and has seen many issues. Should I stay clear of using these tools? Will Microchip kill-off AS7?

I've noticed others having a liking to the MSP430 devices and wondering how these devices are to work with?

Thanks for all the help, choosing a micro can be a daunting task. :)

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Re: ATMEL SAMC21
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:08:30 pm »
No reason why it should be EOL'd anytime soon.
Infact, new ATSAM products have been released after the acquisition.

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 07:19:39 pm »
I wouldn't worry about EOL... but I can tell you I just went down the road with C21 and E51 and I walked away.

If you want to use Atmel Studio and their HAL, it won't be that hard, or give you clean efficient code. If you want to use anyone one else's tools or IDE, pretty much no go. I definitely did not find a lot of support for the Atmel parts. Their weakness is their software drivers, and because Microchip has the same issue, I'm not sure I see it changing soon.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 09:52:04 pm »
I would use the part, Microchip hasn't completely ruined Atmel's products.

There are very few 5V I/O ARM MCU's. The automotive industry uses 5V exclusively.
ARM parts such as NXP S32 Automotive are trying to dethrone the Power PC. NXP/Freescale Kinetis KE02, KE06 as well.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 07:33:03 am »
I would use the part, Microchip hasn't completely ruined Atmel's products.
:-DD

The automotive industry uses 5V exclusively.
for I/O between sensors and ECU.

ARM parts such as NXP S32 Automotive are trying to dethrone the Power PC.

of course, those power cores (MPC5/SPC5) are approaching the end of the longevity program. And complexity/performance of chips and requirements have increased so much in so little time.
do you have any information that they will have 5V IO/s?

Anyway, i had some time with the C21, i tried i think three different MCUs and in the end settled with a PIC32MX for that project.

It took little time to understand the logic behind ASF. Datasheet was harder to understand than expected and it lacked a lot of information that may have been declared "obvious".
after a quick dive inside the various library files i was able to understand how the registers were actually named and that was it, no more ASF for me.

Or, if you still want to use a library, user ataradov has written a lightweight library for ATSAM and other ATMEL products (you can find it on his github). Altough not very hard to understand, for some things ASF was really convoluted, his library helped me understand better the inners of some peripherals.

the CAN controller in the C21 is okay, i guess. I had no major problems in configuring it and it worked okay in all the tests before requirements changed and i changed MCU as well
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 09:24:26 am by JPortici »

Offline Lajon

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 07:57:36 am »
As for the software, I have seen other post about the Atmel Studio 7 not being a good development tool and has seen many issues. Should I stay clear of using these tools?
People who have problems are likely to post about this but for the record I have no issues with recent versions of Atmel Studio 7 (this includes developing for the SAMC21 btw).

Also I have no problem with using ASF (ver 3), e.g., it's useful to run examples and look at register settings in the debugger. 91 example projects for SAMC21 currently.
/Lars

Offline lucazader

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 02:59:38 am »
Does the micro need to be run at 5V?

There are a few ARM vendors (like ST) that have ARM parts that have 5v tolerant IO. Eg they accept incoming 5v signals just fine. You would of course have to check the data sheets of the chips you are interfacing with to see if they would work fine with the 3v3 that the ARM chips would produce.
If this is possible it would open your options up even more.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 10:50:36 am »
yeeeah but 5V tolerant input doesn't mean 5V outputs, or 5V capable ADC anyway

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »
Also I have no problem with using ASF (ver 3), e.g., it's useful to run examples and look at register settings in the debugger. 91 example projects for SAMC21 currently.
/Lars

And that's great if you're using a chip "old enough" (the C21 is pretty new) to still have been supported for ASF3.

But all new chips (E-series for example) have no ASF3 libs. They old have ASF4. Which means if you're starting today you're training yourself to use something that likely won't be an option for your next project if you want to stay with the same mfg.

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 06:10:56 pm »
What? ASF4 might go the same way as ASF3 and libsam?  Inconceivable!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 10:05:58 pm »
If you are willing to risk using Chinese chips, there is a GD32F190 series which is supposed to be similar to STM32F1 while running on 5V.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf