Author Topic: ATtiny internal oscillator calibration  (Read 5210 times)

Offline HwAoRrDkTopic starter

• Super Contributor
ATtiny internal oscillator calibration
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:54:28 pm »
I seem to be facing several timing-related issues this week... ^-^

I had soldered a brand-new ATtiny841 on a board, and as a quick check that it was functioning correctly, I programmed it with a short program that would just repeatedly send "Hello world" out the serial UART at 9600 baud. However, when I connected with my terminal program, the data coming in was garbled! Double-checked all my code and the baud rate in the terminal settings, but everything appeared to be correct. So I got out the logic analyser, and some captures revealed that the only thing wrong was that the baud rate was not what I expected: approx. 10kbaud - too fast!

Then I remembered reading somewhere that the factory calibration for the internal oscillator of ATtiny chips is for 3V, and when running at 5V, the clock speed will be a bit off. I enabled the CLKOUT fuse, and took another capture of the clock signal with the logic analyser (probably not the most precise of measuring tools, but sampling at 25Msps should be good enough, right?). Turns out my ATtiny841 was running at 8.34MHz! :o That is quite a way out. In fact, comparing to the frequency vs operating voltage graph in the datasheet, it's above even what that suggest is the norm for 5V operation.

Anyway, I managed to correct the clock speed with some trial-and-error tweaking of the OSCCAL0 register (-8 got me to 7.99MHz). My question is, how do I go about making this a permanent adjustment? I've not investigated doing this before.

I see from Atmel Studio's programming tool that it has a facility to set a calibration for the internal oscillator, but it confuses me a bit. It asks for a value and an address, then whether to program either flash or EEPROM. For the value, do I just use the absolute value of my tweak to the OSCCAL0 register? But about the address? I gather the factory oscillator calibration values are in the device signature data, but I don't know the right address or even whether it's in flash or EEPROM. Any help or pointers appreciated.

Offline Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
Re: ATtiny internal oscillator calibration
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:54:09 pm »
If your actual baud rate was more than double what you expected, then I doubt it is simply an osc cal issue.  I'd double check either your baud rate register settings, and/or your clock configuration.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:05:25 pm »
If your actual baud rate was more than double what you expected, then I doubt it is simply an osc cal issue.  I'd double check either your baud rate register settings, and/or your clock configuration.
I read the post as having the clock rate be about 4% too fast, not >100% too fast.

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:55:25 pm »
Yes as far as I know it is up to you to  shove the value into osccal at runtime as it were, the factory cal is is not (officially?) modifiable.
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

Offline Geoff_S

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:51:51 pm »
I read the post as having the clock rate be about 4% too fast, not >100% too fast.
Ah yes, sorry.  I read "approx. 10kbaud - too fast!" as "approx. 10kbaud too fast!"  :)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:51:17 pm »
Yes, too fast at 10kbaud, not too fast by 10kbaud. :-DD

Yes as far as I know it is up to you to  shove the value into osccal at runtime as it were, the factory cal is is not (officially?) modifiable.

Oh, read-only, huh? I guess that figures, seeing as it's part of the device's signature info, which you wouldn't otherwise want to be modifiable.

So you only get to set/modify OSCCAL in code? Not exactly convenient for deploying the same code to multiple devices... but then again I suppose you could put your OSCCAL value in EEPROM. I could just do OSCCAL0 = eeprom_read_byte(...) as the first line of main().

Actually, having said that, perhaps that is what the whole flash/EEPROM option in the oscillator calibration feature of Atmel Studio's programming tool is about. Perhaps you're supposed to press 'Read' to grab the factory cal. value off the chip, adjust the value as necessary, then enter the address where you want the value written to either EEPROM or program flash and press 'Write', overwriting whatever default value is currently there. That's the only way I can see that tool making sense. I'll have to see if I can dig up some docs on it.

Offline senso

• Frequent Contributor
    • My AVR tutorials
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 02:44:26 pm »
You can program OSCCAL via ISP, Atmel Studio with a Dragon connected as a tab called Osc Cal in the Device Programming window..

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 07:32:59 pm »
You mean this window?

That's what I was talking about above.

I did manage to find a copy of the Atmel Studio user's guide, and it had the following to say about the oscillator calibration programming tool:

From the Advanced tab you can read the Oscillator Calibration Byte(s) for ATtiny and ATmega parts. The oscillator calibration byte is a value that can be written to the OSCCAL register found in selected devices, in order to tune the internal RC Oscillator to run as close to a chosen clock frequency as possible.

Program

The oscillator calibration byte is stored in the device during manufacturing and can not be erased or altered by the user. It is automatically transferred to the OSCCAL register during device start-up, or set during program initialization, depending on the device. On devices where the application sets it during program initialization, it must be transferred to FLASH or EEPROM first, using the programming dialog or the command line tools.

Reading and Writing the Oscillator Calibration Byte for ATtiny and ATmega parts

The calibration value is read from the storage in the device and shown in the Value text box by pressing the Read  button. Atmel Atmel Studio

The calibration byte is programmed into FLASH or EEPROM memory by pressing the Write button. Memory type and address must be specified first.

I tried it out by doing the following: I read the device's factory cal value, then entered an address of 0x00, chose EEPROM and wrote it to the chip. Then I read and saved the entirety of the EEPROM to a file and opened it in Notepad. As expected, the first byte (i.e. address zero) contained the value.

So, it works as I predicted - but with one exception. You cannot modify the value before writing back to flash/EEPROM. So it seems the tool is only for copying the factory cal. value as-is.

Anyway, given that, I am thinking of doing this: having two bytes in EEPROM, the first for keeping the factory cal. value, and the second for the necessary adjustment value. Then all I have to do is program the EEPROM with my base config (I have a couples of lookup tables to go there as well), then use the method above to copy the oscillator cal. value over the top of the first byte. The code will then read both bytes and set OSCCAL0 with the appropriate value at startup.

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 12:47:41 am »
I have not touched an Atmel part in many years, so consider that, but-
I read the device's factory cal value, then entered an address of 0x00, chose EEPROM and wrote it to the chip
I suspect you are not reading the factory cal value, but are running a calibration via isp and ending up with a value that is better than the factory cal value (you could verify by reading the cal value from the signature bytes- if they are different, then that is what is happening).

http://www.microchip.com//wwwAppNotes/AppNotes.aspx?appnote=en591393

having two bytes in EEPROM, the first for keeping the factory cal. value,
no need to store the factory cal byte anywhere, its already loaded to OSCCAL0 at reset- just read OSCCAL0 if you want it (I'm not sure why you want it).

I suspect it goes something like this-
OSCCAL0 loaded at reset from signature cal byte
user not happy as conditions don't match factory (voltage/temp)
user runs isp calibration at desired voltage/temp, gets  a better cal value
saves better value somewhere (flash or eeprom)
user app loads better value (from flash or eeprom) into OSCCAL0 at startup
user is happy, for now

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 01:47:25 am »
I suspect you are not reading the factory cal value, but are running a calibration via isp and ending up with a value that is better than the factory cal value

No, I don't think that is what happens. As you can see from the excerpt from the Atmel Studio user guide above, it specifically says:

From the Advanced tab you can read the Oscillator Calibration Byte(s)

And it does not mention anything about actually making a calibration. (And I just noticed that sentence in the docs could use some fixing - there is no 'Advanced' tab. :palm:)

Offline JimRemington

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 02:58:10 am »
user runs isp calibration at desired voltage/temp, gets  a better cal value
saves better value somewhere (flash or eeprom)
user app loads better value (from flash or eeprom) into OSCCAL0 at startup
user is happy, for now

This has worked well for me, and calibration can be done programmatically (on the chip in question) using an accurate external clock source as input to Timer1 in capture mode.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 03:00:19 am by JimRemington »

Offline cv007

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 10:50:34 am »
No, I don't think that is what happens
Then the only value to that oscillator settings tab is for avr's that do not load the cal val from the signature byte automatically, or for those that have multiple cal values (1MHz,8MHz, etc.) and you want to use the cal value other than the one that is loaded automatically (which is why they would have the drop down frequency selector).

If that is the case, then you are on your own. Come up with a cal value you want, store it in flash/eeprom, read it at startup, store it in OSCCAL0.

If it were me, I would spend the 50cents to hang a crystal on it and forget about all the trouble of dealing with frequency calibration. Or at least come up with a way to get it close without having to deal with each chip individually (you know the original OSCCAL0 value since its loaded for you, you probably can get a good offset value for your voltage, so simply OSCCAL0 += my_offset may get close).

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 03:45:17 pm »
This has worked well for me, and calibration can be done programmatically (on the chip in question) using an accurate external clock source as input to Timer1 in capture mode.

Could the timing be extracted from the UART receiver listening to RS-232 traffic?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 04:13:05 pm »
Use crystal..

Internal oscillator has 30% error swing over full temp range.... It will never be reliable without crystal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf