Author Topic: AVR Dragon device signature not recognised  (Read 5997 times)

Offline JackPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
AVR Dragon device signature not recognised
« on: February 07, 2015, 08:54:08 pm »
  I was recently given a AVR Dragon, and I am trying to test it out with an Arduino Uno, using AVR studio 6.2. After plugging the dragon into the computer, I was told the driver installed correctly. Following this, I tried to connect to the device in the IDE, but the only option in the 'tool' drop down menu was the simulator. Then, a yellow warning sign showed up beside it in the device manager, and in the properties window it said the signature was not recognised, and it may have been caused by a recent software or hardware change. I disabled the device, unplugged it and 'repaired' the USB drivers using the change command in the programs and features section of the control panel (I am using Windows 7 64 bit).

This got rid of the warning sign next to the AVR Dragon, but a new 'device' appeared in the same branch, 'Jungo connectivity', of the device manager. Now that 'device', WinDriver, has the yellow warning sign and the same error as the dragon had before. AVR studio 6.2 still does not see it in the drop down menu of the Tools > Device programming menu.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem, by which I mean allowing me to see the device in the drop down menu? Also, is it possible to power the device under programming from the dragon? Thanks,
Jack

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
Re: AVR Dragon device signature not recognised
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:03:48 pm »
Some trouble-shooting tips:

1. Is the error description (properties window -> Device status field) for the new device the same as before?

2. Try a different USB cable.

3. Is the AVR plugged directly into your computer? If not, then plug it directly into the computer. If it is, try another USB port on your PC. Try to avoid USB 3.0 ports.

4. Do you have any software installed which installs filter drivers in the USB driver chain? (for example virtual machines with USB pass-through features)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
Thanks for the speedy reply,
1) yes
2) done, no difference
3) no it isn't, surely this shouldn't make a difference as you can't do this with a bare chip
4) nope nothing like that
Thanks for the ideas,
Jack

Offline TerminalJack505

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 12:05:46 am »
Check to see if you have the libusb drivers installed.  The Jungo and libusb drivers don't play nice together and you might have to uninstall the libusb drivers before the Jungo drivers will work.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:55:46 am »
Is this a legit avr dragon or a copy/clone?
I'm wondering if it might have a fake ft232 ftdi chip in it.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 01:10:21 am »
I just found this article, maybe it can provide some helpful information: Setting up the AVR Jungo USB Driver manually

Is this a legit avr dragon or a copy/clone?
I'm wondering if it might have a fake ft232 ftdi chip in it.
Getting a yellow indicator at the driver icon in the device manager indicates one of two things:

One is that the Dragon has been enumerated by the USB stack. This requires the Dragon being able to do USB communication and sending its device/vendor ID to the host computer. If the device were a clone, a bricked fake ft232 would only be identified as 'unknown device' or not enumerated at all. This is not the case here. The Dragon hardware or its firmware could possibly still have a defect, making it unable to handle USB traffic aside enumeration properly.

The other reason could be that the windriver installation itself has some issues. Note that windriver is not the actual device driver. Thus, the yellow indicator is not necessarily an indication of a communication problem with the hardware -- it could be entirely a problem with the software configuration of the PC.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:26:04 am by elgonzo »

Offline Merlin Gehrig Jungo Conne

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 03:40:32 pm »
  I was recently given a AVR Dragon, and I am trying to test it out with an Arduino Uno, using AVR studio 6.2. ...Then, a yellow warning sign showed up beside it in the device manager, and in the properties window it said the signature was not recognised,

Hi JackP,

From your description it looks like the AVR driver is not signed.
Signing a driver is mandatory on 64 bit Windows.
You can disable the driver signature enforcement in order to lose the yellow mark and start working.
You could also contact AVR and request a signed driver.

Best Regards Merlin
Jungo Connectivity Ltd.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 02:48:37 pm by Merlin Gehrig Jungo Conne »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 08:16:44 pm »
Thanks for your help, I got it working. Unfortunately, then Atmel Studio decided not to work and gave me the message could not find one or more components, or something like that. Anyone have any ideas?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf