Author Topic: ICE basic vs ICE... Which one should I buy?  (Read 6100 times)

Offline Porama6400Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
ICE basic vs ICE... Which one should I buy?
« on: May 20, 2018, 09:16:49 am »
I am a student so I don't have a lot of budget.
Which one should I buy when compare functionality and price? I will use them for both programming and debugging.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:50:58 pm by Porama6400 »

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
Re: AVR Dragon vs ICE vs ICE MKII... Which one should I buy?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:13:41 am »
ATMEL-ICE. Not the plain board version though. It is better in every aspect.

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:30:32 pm »
ATMEL-ICE. Not the plain board version though. It is better in every aspect.

Alexander.

Why is plain board version bad?

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 04:18:00 pm »
It is not bad. It is more sensitive, without any cable and adapters. I guess you could easily 3D-print a case.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »
No experience with the later revision AVR Dragons but the early models were very fragile. It was fairly easy to kill the boost converter chip.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 04:54:27 pm »
The consensus seems to be that the ICE is a better programmer.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 03:57:33 am »
So should I buy ICE basic

ICE basic
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC-ND/4753381

or the pro one
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATATMEL-ICE/ATATMEL-ICE-ND/4753379

Seem like the difference is adapters, isn't it? It is ridiculously expensive adapter, do i need it?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:27:46 am »
So should I buy ICE basic

ICE basic
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC/ATATMEL-ICE-BASIC-ND/4753381

or the pro one
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/microchip-technology/ATATMEL-ICE/ATATMEL-ICE-ND/4753379

Seem like the difference is adapters, isn't it? It is ridiculously expensive adapter, do i need it?
Are you in a hurry? Atmel/Microchip has significant discounts about once a year, but they ran a discount not too long ago.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 07:25:28 am »
Are you in a hurry? Atmel/Microchip has significant discounts about once a year, but they ran a discount not too long ago.

Quite, It would be nice to get ICE within a week, but not severe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 02:48:28 pm »
So should I buy basic version that only include a cable or buy a pro one with few more adapter?

Are those adapter useful to have?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »
So should I buy basic version that only include a cable or buy a pro one with few more adapter?

Are those adapter useful to have?
I guess that fully depends on what you want to do exactly.

Offline Gibson486

• Frequent Contributor
Re: ICE basic vs ICE... Which one should I buy?
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »
Most people just need the basic. The pro one just has a bunch of connectors that most people will not use. That said, that main cable is prone to breaking....

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 05:22:42 pm »
Most people just need the basic. The pro one just has a bunch of connectors that most people will not use. That said, that main cable is prone to breaking....

Thanks  ;D I'll order basic one then

But you've said that main cable prone to breaking, 20$ CABLE PRONE TO BREAK?! What a disappointment **FACEPALM for Atmel**
If it is not a black magic coated cable that will last forever, Where can I get the cheaper same type cable? ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:24:43 pm by Porama6400 »

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 06:26:55 pm »
One of the problems with the Atmel ICE, like the JTAG-ICE before it, is that the headers on the actual debug probe are backwards, so the 50-mil cables are not just straight-through.  This makes it much more difficult to find ready-made replacements.

I got around this by making a small PCB that plugs into the end of the ICE and provides standard 100-mil box headers for 6- and 10-pin ISP, JTAG/SWD, and 50-mil headers that are the right way round.  You won't be able to use the Atmel cables anymore, but standard straight-through ribbons will work. 

Details and links to the BOM/OSH Park project where you can order the board in this post: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/microcontrollers/atmel-ice-50-off/msg1428410/#msg1428410

A while ago I bought a pack of 50-mil ribbon cables for some dev platform (Netduino maybe?), but last I looked that wasn't available anymore.  You can make your own 50-mil cables quite easily, though:
Connectors: Harwin M50-3300542
Cable: Digikey ME10G-10ND

I like the harwin connectors because they have a fully-enclosed slot for the cable to pass through that helps keep it aligned while mounting the connector.

The following users thanked this post: firewalker

Offline hackinblack

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 05:25:52 pm »
the basic is the same as the bare pcb version but in a case; the full version has an extra header board and cables to cover 'all' the target pinouts, but it's a LOT of money for a little pcb and some extra cabling which you may never even use.
the cable supplied with both kits is a 1mm pitch which has a tiny connector at the programmer end and two different plugs on the target end;
the target end is really fragile. as the ribbon-cable wires are seperated (to re-arrange the order) before they are crimped into a normal (IDC) 6-pin header socket for older AVR boards 'AVRISP 3x2'. so there isn't much strength in the wires. its a crap peice of design. the cables are available but cost around 20USD; element 14, and mouser sell them.
however, if you wreck the small cable, and DON'T use the 6-pin end; Olimex do one for ARM core, which fits, and is about 8 Euro's  ' ARM-JTAG-20-10 '. its basically just a straight-through 10-way cable (though VERY small!) and an adaptor PCB with a 20-way female header on it. you can unplug the small cable to use on 'micro' connectors; or use the 'PCB end' on older target boards with the much bigger (0.1" pitch) 20-way JTAG pinheaders.

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 05:57:53 pm »
Olimex do one for ARM core, which fits, and is about 8 Euro's  ' ARM-JTAG-20-10 '. its basically just a straight-through 10-way cable (though VERY small!) and an adaptor PCB with a 20-way female header on it. you can unplug the small cable to use on 'micro' connectors; or use the 'PCB end' on older target boards with the much bigger (0.1" pitch) 20-way JTAG pinheaders.

If that's a straight-through cable (can't tell for sure from the photo, but most of them are), then it will NOT work directly with the Atmel ICE.  The headers on the Atmel ICE are backwards, so they need a cable that has one connector reversed to get all of the pins the right way round on the target end.  In the attached photo, note the difference in connector orientations between the Atmel cable in the foreground and the standard straight-through cable behind it.  This is one of the things the board I shared in my previous post corrects.

Offline hackinblack

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 06:21:39 pm »
yep; you are correct.i just checked it:- the Atmel cable is a 'crossover', but the olimex one is a 'straight-through'....i hope i never snap the original! :-\

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf