Author Topic: Beginner FPGA dev board  (Read 43961 times)

Offline SpidersWeb

• Supporter
Re: Beginner FPGA dev board
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »
Last night I ordered one of those $37 kits myself. Although afterwards I realized I kind of want one with some DRAM on board - so probably end up buying something else next year :P

No problems with Aliexpress payment here, but I've been using them for years so my details were all saved in etc etc

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2015, 07:37:51 pm »
Did you happen to apply for an AliPay account? I seem to recall requiring documentation for that, but it shouldn't be needed. A straight credit card transaction should work just fine. I'm sure if you were ordering from Nigeria things would be different, but the USA should be just as easy as the UK for VISA or Mastercard. AMEX is another thing entirely if thats what you used.  :-//

Nope, didn't apply for AliPay, didn't use an Amex. Poking around the site some more I did come across something about also verifying my business email, so I am trying that.

Oh, Brazil is one of my favourite movies  :-+ You wouldn't be a Mr Tuttle, sorry Buttle by chance?  ;)

:-DD More like Sam Lowry... But yeah, Brazil is one of my favorite movies of all time (along with Caddyshack and Airplane! - which probably says too much about me).

Offline MagicSmoker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2015, 10:37:12 pm »
I decided to spring the extra $50 and get a DE0-Nano. It seems to be popular and looks like a good intro to working with FPGAs. I didn't get the one with the on-chip hard processor both because it seems you really overpay for that capability relative to a separate but equivalently powerful MCU, and I imagine it will just make the learning curve that much steeper, and at this stage in my career I am more into getting results rather than noodling around.

Offline Avien

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2015, 10:59:17 pm »
I decided to spring the extra $50 and get a DE0-Nano. It seems to be popular and looks like a good intro to working with FPGAs. I didn't get the one with the on-chip hard processor both because it seems you really overpay for that capability relative to a separate but equivalently powerful MCU, and I imagine it will just make the learning curve that much steeper, and at this stage in my career I am more into getting results rather than noodling around.

I have DE0-NANO and I have used it in my Master Thesis. Best thing about using Altera for start? Signal-TAP.
You can always implement NIOS II soft-cpu if you need and want to program something in C, but do not expect much from it (it only gets a job done). I have used F version with Scatter-Gatter DMA and it was road through hell. Also lovely Eclipse...
Now I would get SoC version with Ethernet (also "small" version). First it has much more logic inside, different LE, dual-core ARM and programmer for less than 100$? I know someone who buys those and put it inside products :D
Wish it only had more GPIO...

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2015, 01:03:52 pm »
I also got one of those not that cheap Cyclone IV boards out of ebay, it came with the same USB Blaster clone as Macbeth mentioned, but the board is different:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Altera-Cyclone-IV-FPGA-Learning-Board-EP4CE6E22C8N-mit-USB-Blaster-Programmer-/111832274825?hash=item1a09b91789:g:wPcAAOSwgyxWVGtq

Sadly, all pins are being used. The ones on the connector are the pins used for VGA  (16 bit color VGA!) plus the 2 PS/2 pins.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:04:15 pm by ale500 »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2015, 06:33:16 pm »
Sadly, all pins are being used. The ones on the connector and the VGA pins (16 bit VGA! Plus PS/2).
You've got J3 for GPIO?

Nicer board for the extra money. Some SDRAM, better VGA, proper FLASH, and an A/D for starters.

Offline ale500

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2015, 07:01:14 pm »
Yeah... but as I said (I corrected my post above, it seems I sopped mid sentence and continued with something else), J3 are the VGA/PS2 pins... I'd rather have the pushbuttons and 7-Segment display there... well
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 07:03:37 pm by ale500 »

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2015, 02:40:21 am »
came across this playlist on youtube a couple weeks back...  sounds pretty good for a beginner (it starts from digital logic and goes from there)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7kkolCtIBKLukrBsEDwKRTE64JvaJDhM

Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2015, 10:02:05 am »
came across this playlist on youtube a couple weeks back...  sounds pretty good for a beginner (it starts from digital logic and goes from there)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7kkolCtIBKLukrBsEDwKRTE64JvaJDhM

Does it discuss how to create timing constraints? If it was written then I could find out within 2 minutes, but since it is video I would have to spend a few hours looking for something that might not exist.

That's a bad use of my remaining life.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2015, 10:13:10 am »
Does it discuss how to create timing constraints? If it was written then I could find out within 2 minutes, but since it is video I would have to spend a few hours looking for something that might not exist.

That's a bad use of my remaining life.
Yeah. A bit like going through all of Daves EEVblog vids. Only so many to watch before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

I just wish there was an internet search engine out there to help look for specific stuff?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2015, 10:22:29 am »
Haven't watched the playlist but I did look at the actual playlist.

I think it's a good start and when someone tries them and have failures they hopefully look for extra information about timing constrains, but at least those videos could get someone started (I'm guessing because I didn't watch any of them yet)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2015, 11:04:51 am »
I just wish there was an internet search engine out there to help look for specific stuff?

Good idea. I wish you hadn't mentioned it publicly, because now I can't patent it ;)
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2015, 11:08:18 am »
I think it's a good start and when someone tries them and have failures they hopefully look for extra information about timing constrains, but at least those videos could get someone started (I'm guessing because I didn't watch any of them yet)

Many other things could also get them started. And if they are skimmable and searchable (e.g. text), then we could know they would be a good starting point.

There are good uses for video blogs, but too often they are done by someone that can't be bothered to spend the time to make life easy for their audience.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2015, 11:17:57 am »

Many other things could also get them started. And if they are skimmable and searchable (e.g. text), then we could know they would be a good starting point.

There are good uses for video blogs, but too often they are done by someone that can't be bothered to spend the time to make life easy for their audience.

Agreed, I'm partial to text myself:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/no-bitbanging-necessary-or-how-to-drive-a-vga-monitor-on-a-psoc-5lp-programmabl/

Then again it's up to the one imparting knowledge to figure out all the fall-outs, there are no shortcuts for those even if you went to the most credited school in the planet.

Guidelines are good, but we all have to figure the rest on our own.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf