Author Topic: Bluetooth MCU module.  (Read 3162 times)

Offline pappkoppTopic starter

• Contributor
Bluetooth MCU module.
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:42:39 pm »
I'm creating a project where i need a low power MCU, and preferable in a module.
I have had a look at the Blue Gecko BGM111, i need something i dont have to spend 3 weeks just figuring the IDE for the software(is this the case here?)
So does anybody have any recommendations on what to use?

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Bluetooth MCU module.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 10:55:47 pm »
The bluegecko isn't a bad part, it's just not nearly as fleshed out as say the Nordic... BUT if you are having trouble understanding the BGApi or BGScript, I'm not sure what solution is going to be any easier.

You might want to look at the Microchip BLE module, it reduces everything on the micro side to just UART.

Offline richardman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 02:33:17 am »
I'm creating a project where i need a low power MCU, and preferable in a module.
I have had a look at the Blue Gecko BGM111, i need something i dont have to spend 3 weeks just figuring the IDE for the software(is this the case here?)
So does anybody have any recommendations on what to use?

WHat do you need the Bluetooth to do? I am just finishing up a product using ST's BlueNRG.
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

Offline miceuz

• Frequent Contributor
    • chirp - a soil moisture meter / plant watering alarm
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:14:32 am »
I'm using BGM111 for commercial product and for hobby project. It's a nice module with Energymicro core inside - they have a very good architecture, documentation and support. You can program it with GCC from their netbeans based IDE, all the required components are there, but it's not officially supported yet - there is an example on the forum and a couple of guides on how to get gcc working, otherwise you are stuck with IAR compiler. It took me two days to get to working sample program with GCC, but I was among the first ones, now it might be easier.   

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:18:45 am »
The bluegecko isn't a bad part, it's just not nearly as fleshed out as say the Nordic... BUT if you are having trouble understanding the BGApi or BGScript, I'm not sure what solution is going to be any easier.

You might want to look at the Microchip BLE module, it reduces everything on the micro side to just UART.

they can also communicate with SPI and I2C.. and there are also some with a scripting engine to run everything without a mcu

Offline HSPalm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:00:44 am »
Nordic actually keeps a list of third party suppliers of modules with their chips on them.
https://www.nordicsemi.com/eng/Products/3rd-Party-Bluetooth-low-energy-Modules

Keep in mind that the Nordic SoC's are both bluetooth and mcu in one, so some modules may come pre-programmed so as to interface them with an mcu, and some of them may be made to program the actual mcu (which is a cleaner solution, in the end).

Offline pappkoppTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 02:00:36 pm »
Thanks for all the great contributions.

If i got this module:
http://www.digikey.no/product-detail/en/cypress-semiconductor-corp/CYBLE-012012-10/428-3538-1-ND/5873455
 how do you interface to the device for programming and configuration? do i need to implement a usb to uart converter on the board?
I have already designed the power supply, charging over USB so i have the port available.

Offline jnz

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 05:21:15 pm »
WHat do you need the Bluetooth to do? I am just finishing up a product using ST's BlueNRG.

I looked at that, but at the time (not long ago) it appeared to be one the absolute least supported / community utilized stack solutions. What made you pick that over the Nordic for example?

Offline richardman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 10:51:04 pm »
We started our product prototype with STM32F411 + BlueNRG, so the BlueNRG1 is a natural choice when we moved from prototype to product stage. Our stack requirements are relatively modest. We don't have performance test yet, but for our application (Smart.IO: a toolkit that creates smartphone UI app for embedded systems w/o Bluetooth or App coding), it should be just fine.

I looked at that, but at the time (not long ago) it appeared to be one the absolute least supported / community utilized stack solutions. What made you pick that over the Nordic for example?
// richard http://imagecraft.com/
JumpStart C++ for Cortex (compiler/IDE/debugger): the fastest easiest way to get productive on Cortex-M.
Smart.IO: phone App for embedded systems with no app or wireless coding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf